Yosemite using 100% of memory - Fixed

Just installed Yosemite today. For years I have been using an app named Memory Monitor which shows a small little window on the screen and that window shows your memory usage. Well, not long after the install was finally completed and the rash of addition updates from the App Store, things like Numbers, Pages etc, were installed I noticed the Memory Monitor window showing all memory was used. Launched Activity Monitor and it too indicate all memory was used. During the time I went to dinner all of a sudden the Swap Used figure went to way over 2 gigabytes but then oddly, after working a little more after dinner the swap used number went back to the 165 Mb range. I have a 2012 Mac Pro with 12 Gigs of memory and up until today I don’t remember ever seeing a number for memory swapped and very, very rarely have I seen the memory all used. All day today the memory has constantly showed 11.98, or more Gigs used.

The Memory Pressure window shows that there is very little Memory Pressure and it is all green. Looks like I have to do a lot of research on what this new Memory Pressure figure is all about. Have seen some forums where a good number of people are beginning to complain about this large memory usage issue in Yosemite. I don’t see any big slowdown and I haven’t seen any speed boost with Yosemite either.

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone know if this is going to be the way things operate from now on? I tried using the Yosemite version of Cocktail from Maintain software but when I told it to free up the inactive memory nothing changed. Previously running that option in Cocktail would always bring down the inactive portion in the Memory Monitor, and Activity Monitor windows. Not today. Seems like a glitch to me. But, with all of the Beta and Public Beta testing that went on it seems odd that something like this snuck through. I have turned SuperDuper! off for now so that my other boot drive keeps its copy of Mavericks for now.

Did you update from OS X 10.8 directly? If not, you should have seen the same memory behavior from Mavericks before. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature;-)
Apple uses the unused memory to cache harddisk data for faster file access. This way no matter how much RAM you have, you will sooner or later come up with apparently all of it being used. But once the memory is really needed it is released instantly. As long as your memory pressure gauge is green there’s nothing to worry about.
Anyway, the swap should not have been used. Maybe some set-up routine running after installation? My Mac ran remarkably slow for half an hour after the first start of Yosemite, but I had a notification telling me why. As long as it doesn’t repeat (too often), I wouldn’t care.

I update from Mavericks alright, but I only now and then saw the memory go to 100%. Today with Yosemite it only drops below 100% occasionally, for short periods of time. One of those times was launching the Flash Player Installer to update to a Yosemite happy version. The minute it started a big chuck of inactive memory was gone; however, ever since then the active memory has been that much more. Active memory itself is approaching 100% and right now Safari, the Finder, and the wee little Memory Monitor programs are all that is running.

Can you explain to me the theory behind this new memory management concept of Apples. I see a lot of forums where people are complaining about it but I have seen no meaningful explanations and that is what bothers me. Also, as usual with a new version of OS X a huge number of messages are being written out to the system log continually. Bad part is that I see of ton of them are about needing to be sandboxed and yet a lot of the items being reported appear to be Apples goodies. Go figure that one. :wink: :wink:

Oh well. Things are running okay. I am just going to have to adjust to this new of doing things. Does bug me though when I am running very little, using very little true memory, and am watching swapping taking place. How can that be part of the plan?

I’m not sure if anything in memory management has changed in 10.10, therefore I can only try for what I know about Mavericks.
Here’s a sample of my activity monitor.

You see that it claims to use almost 19 GB of memory, but on the right side the apps take about 12 GB and reserved are 1,9. The missing 5 GB is mostly the file cache. In it RAM previously used is stored until needed. In case you reopen a program that is still in RAM, it opens a lot faster then. Once this memory is really needed it is treated as free memory.
See also http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890

Before Mavericks this memory was unused, and unused memory is dead memory. Now it is basically just declared differently but will work as free RAM each time you really need it. There’s nothing to complain about, but maybe one could make a wealth by publishing a Xojo Memory App that still shows file cache memory as free – people will feel so much better :wink:

Much more relevant today is memory pressure. It shows you how many free ressources your Mac has available for fast compression. When the graph starts to get red you will notice slowdowns because the swap file will get used. In that case it could be a wise idea to quit some apps or even restart the Mac to free up the memory. Has not appeared for me yet, but the Mac is only running 3 days now.

If you did not uncheck “Turn on FileVault”, then Yosemite encrypted all contents of your disk. Seems like to be the default now. OSX is doing this in the background and this may use some power at the beginning. Do you still see this happen, or is it over now?

No, FileVault is not turned on my Mac and I don;t want it to be. Mr. Bogan gave a pretty good explanation of how things are working now; but, as I stated before, I never say this happen like it is in Yosemite so it seems like it has been updated even more going from Mavericks to Yosemite. It appears, after reading the article pointed to in Mr. Bogans reply, that I now should look more at the Memory Pressure portion of the Activity Monitor Memory tab and as long as there is no read in that graph I am not swapping memory to disk and back. Going to have to teach this old fart another new trick. These dang computer thingies never stay static for any length of time do they!

Well, I just found out that I might as well shut down my Mac Pro when I go to dinner. Before doing so I made sure that I had no applications running other than the Finder. Coming back from dinner I hit a key on the keyboard to wake up the computer. It was taking forever for it to come out of sleep and once it began to sort of work I launched Activity Monitor and it showed 9.1 Gigabytes of swapped space. I then launched Safari to check something out and it took Safari longer to launch than it takes my machine to boot up in the morning. I don’t care what they say about this new memory usage scheme for OS X. I never saw this stuff in Mavericks and what I am seeing in Yosemite is ridiculous. When it takes that much effort on your computers part after being asleep for an hour and a half it is nuts. If it is going to put 9.1 gigs of crap out on the disk then why not just turn the machine off and reboot when getting back. It will be faster it seems. Machine has been running roughly ten minutes now and memory pressure is back to normal and the swap figure is ever so slowly decreasing. I hope whoever came up with this scheme was not given a bonus. It is hard to believe that it went through all of the alpha and beta testing and then a whole lot of public beta testers and they were all happy with this memory functioning.

What about you folks that never shut your machines down. What is the wakeup like on your machines when it has been asleep through the night. I should do some timing with a stop watch and see what is quicker. Booting up, or coming out of a long sleep.

I just figured it out. This is an Apple ploy to get everyone to buy a new computer with an SSD, you won’t see near as much delay in recovering everything that was moved from memory to the disk. Yup, that’s gotta be it!!! :wink: :wink:

Spotlight isn’t still indexing, is it?

Ranks right u[p there with the iTunes 12 ploy to get everyone to update to a iPhone 6
iTunes 12 doesn’t even work right if I attach my old iPhone 4 - which I keep because it has the grand total of about 1.5 hours of talk time life to date. I don’t need a phone to be honest.

Wonder what else is active in activity monitor ?

Discovered what my problem was, a Process named Folder Actions Dispatcher. It was using 35 seconds of CPU every clock minute and at time gobbled up over 9 Gigs of memory but that would fluctuate up and down. Several years ago I read an article about attaching a Folder Action to the LaunchAgent and LaunchDaemon folders in OS X. After following the instructions in the article any time something was added into one of those folders a window would appear informing me of that fact and allowing me to view the folder in the Finder. Well, the way it was set up goes bonkers in Yosemite. Thank God my son knows what he knows when it comes to the Macs. In no time he showed my how to turn off Folder Actions and then remove the actions from the five folders that they were assigned to. The instant I turned off Folder Actions the little Memory Monitor window on my screen had the memory usage graph die down to more normal figures. Now, running under Yosemite those figures are better than they were under Mavericks.

By the way, one of the plist files involved in this was being update so rapidly, just rewritten for whatever reason, that if I clicked on that file and the text of it appeared in the Finder window the Finder would hang and have to be restarted if I tried to scroll the text of that file in the Finder window. This was the com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist file which named the folders to be watched and existed in ~/Library/LaunchAgents

So, if you are having the problem, or know anyone that is, have them look and see if the Folder Actions Dispatcher is the culprit. Now I can say that Yosemite is running beautifully.

Guys i have same problem and i looked up com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist I couldn’t find it. My iMac Mid 2011 21.5 inch is died. Memory is 8GB and it’s all used when I checked it on Activity Monitor

Here’s how to determine if the folder actions problem is occurring on your iMac. Launch the Activity Monitor app and the click the %CPU column heading either once or twice so as to get the apps using the most CPU to appear at the top of the list. If you see a process named “Folder Actions Dispatcher” in the leftmost column, and it is using a huge amount of cpu and possibly memory, then you have folder actions applied to some folders and they are giving you the excess CPU usage problem.

If this is the case you can turn off the folder actions by performing the following steps.

Open a finder window and right click on any folder. This will bring up a pop-up menu and on it select the Services option at the bottom. This will bring up another pop-up menu.

On this second pop-up menu choose the “Folder Actions Setup” option.

When the Folder Actions Setup window appears you will see a list headed “Choose a Script to Attach:”. Click the cancel button below the list to dismiss the list of actions. Now you should see a check box at the top of “Folder Actions Setup” window labeled “Enable Folder Actions”. If this is checked click it to uncheck it.

Doing this will turn off the execution of folder actions. If you still have the Activity Monitor running you should see that the “Folder Actions Dispatcher” process has been stopped and you should also see that the overall CPU usage is now going to a more normal level.

Keep in mind, that this Folder Actions glitch is not the only thing that can cause the abnormal CPU usage when you first install Yosemite; but, it has been the cause for quite a few people along with me. As soon as the Folder Actions Dispatcher process was terminated my machine went to working like it should. This has something to do with how I set up the Folder Actions a long time ago. Something in Yosemite handles them differently. Good luck.

Thanks for your help
I havr checked the activity monitor and folder action not appearing on the left column . so the programs I have opend eating all the memory. Should I secreen shot my activity monitor to check it ?
What other problems causes this memory leak ?

Is your memory really used up? Which means: Does your Mac suffer from using the swap file all the time – or does ist just look like 100% memory are used but the Mac runs without problems? The latter case is completely normal under OS X 10.9 or 10.10. Yes, an acvitity monitor sreen shot could help!