Yosemite on older Macs

Hi all,

I have an old 24in iMac from 2007 with a 2,8 GHz Core2Duo CPU and 4 GB of RAM. A speed demon under Snow Leo but nearly unusable under Mavericks.

Before going back to Snow Leo I thought I would try Yosemite, and I’m very pleasantly surprised. Maybe it is the clean install (I added another partition to the hard disk) but it runs at very acceptable speeds.

If you have older Macs: what is your experience with Yosemite?

I’m especially curious about older Macs with only 2 GB of RAM (like a 2006 MBP)

[quote=136089:@Markus Winter]Hi all,

I have an old 24in iMac from 2007 with a 2,8 GHz Core2Duo CPU and 4 GB of RAM. A speed demon under Snow Leo but nearly unusable under Mavericks.

Before going back to Snow Leo I thought I would try Yosemite, and I’m very pleasantly surprised. Maybe it is the clean install (I added another partition to the hard disk) but it runs at very acceptable speeds.

If you have older Macs: what is your experience with Yosemite?

I’m especially curious about older Macs with only 2 GB of RAM (like a 2006 MBP)[/quote]
Yosemite (nor Mavericks, as they have the same system requirements) will run on a 2006 MBP. Mid-2007 iMacs and mid-2007 MBPs are the oldest machines both OSs will run.

I’d suggest the clean install on your iMac is indeed helping to speed things up.

One think you may not be aware of Markus, is that Handoff will not work with older machines.

Machines that can only have 2Gb total memory are almost not worth putting anything newer on as all they’d do is swap like mad most of the time because of the limited RAM.

4Gb should be considered “minimum”

[quote=136112:@Norman Palardy]Machines that can only have 2Gb total memory are almost not worth putting anything newer on as all they’d do is swap like mad most of the time because of the limited RAM.
4Gb should be considered “minimum”[/quote]

2GB + Fast SSD might be a usable combination since with swapping it’s usually the slow drive speed which hurts the most? I’m sure that 2GB + Slow HD is surely a recipe for pain.

I’ve recently upgraded my 2009 MacPro from 6 to 16 GB. This makes such a difference with Xojo. It no longer hangs every couple of days.

Slow HD definitely hurts a lot
But the machines limited to 2Gb are around 8 years old - mostly the original crop of Core 2 Duo based machines.
Ones like the MacBook 13" 1.83GHz, MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz, MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz, MacBook Pro 15" 2.16 GHz, MacBook Pro 17" 2.16 GHz
Even the mini from 2007 based on the Core 2 Duo can accept up to 4Gb

Any Core Duo based machines aren’t supported since … 10.7 or so
The Core Duo (not the Core 2 Duo) wasn’t a 64 bit chip

In an early-2008 iMac (max 4GB) Yosemite runs well if the HD is replaced by an SSD. On the stock HD (which would have 6 years by now) it’s pretty unusable if the machine is heavily used (like Mavericks before it)

I’m not sure if the “Yosemite Tester” runs in another language than German:
http://www.macwelt.de/ratgeber/Ist-Ihr-Mac-fit-fuer-OS-X-10-10-8946665.html

This application checks your Mac and gives the compatibility informations in a Traffic light-similar system
(If one of the features is listed with a red “light”, your Mac isn’t compatible to Ym.)

Guys, this thread is about how Yosemite runs on older Macs, nothing else (like what their hardware limitations are).

So if you have some old hardware like a 2006-2009 Mac then others might appreciate to know how Yosemite runs.

I heard from a few others (on other sites) that they too found it to run surprisingly well …

I have a Mac Pro late 2009 with a 4 core 2,66 GHz CPU, 24 GB RAM and a custom built Fusion drive and noticed quite some speed bumps under Yosemite. I should say that it ran with Mavericks quite well too. Only disturbing fact is that scrolling with my MagicPad hangs shortly every few seconds, but I have that on an iPad 3 with iOS 8.1 too.

My iMac is not that old at 2011, but opening finder windows seems to take much longer than Mavericks to show the files.

With the exception of “All my files”, I cannot say so. But I use the Finder rarely, I like PathFinder a lot more. But I just noticed that getting the resize arrow on the lower right corner of a Finder window is quite tricky – the active rect seems to be too small.

Anybody with experience with Yosemite on a late 2009 27" iMac i7?

That is my old machine I have passed on to someone else in the family a year ago. It has 12 GB and a HDD ( NOT an SSD or Fusion). I was wondering if I should consider updating that one.

Thanks,

• Karen

What’s running on it currently? 12 MB seems quite good, the user is used to longer HDD boot times anyway, and the file caching introduced with Mavericks should contribute to a nicer experience if some older system was running on it. I cannot guarantee but I think upgrading would be worth the try.

on my old 2009 Macbook Pro Yosemite runs pretty well but I have 8 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD inside so this might influence the result a bit :wink:

Mavericks…

Thanks, if I don’t hear anything negative about updating that Mac I’ll do it at the .1 release of Yosemite.

I hope to be able to use that machine for at least another 3 years.

It should be fine - plenty of RAM so it shouldn’t swap much

Yup. I have one (with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HD) where the screen goes randomly black. Can run fine for 3 days or go black every few seconds (on the other hand it only cost me €300).

Since installing Yosemite it hasn’t blacked out, and it is running very well. I hope it remains like that …