Yosemite 10.10.3 broke one of my apps :(

I kept reading horror stories about Yosemite, but yet my apps seemed to be safe. Until yesterday, and again today. All the sudden, Check Writer 2.5 which was quite stable up until 10.10.2 starts crashing in 10.10.3.

I have removed it from the App Store, but am in a bit of a loss.

It works here and I cannot reproduce the issue.

Here is the crash dump I got from a customer :
CrashDump.txt

It shows apparently a kernel problem.

Another customer came to me just now with what seems another issue :

That seems completely unrelated, and I am surprised by the shell thing. I do not use shell in that app.

Life in Apple’s shadow is never dull…

This is more likely from passing a non-absolute path to GetFolderItem.

Yes, I also had this issue. But it is not related to OSX10.3.3 (I think) - I had this about a year ago too with one of my apps.
Make sure you are passing a valid path into GetFolderItem (some users uses strange characters in a folder and/or filename that can trigger this).

Users do not report the crash to occur when saving or loading a file.

The only file manipulation I am doing are :
dim f as folderitem = SpecialFolder.ApplicationData.child(“CheckWriter”).child(“Settings.csv”)
dim f as folderitem = SpecialFolder.ApplicationData.child(“CheckWriter”).child(“Register.csv”)
Which I load upon launch, reading them with a TextInputStream, of course after checking not nil.

In both case valid paths that have worked to this day.

But apparently, under certain conditions, that seems to crash. If only I could reproduce the issue, I am sure it is simple.

Maybe for some reason the CheckWriter folder and settings.csv isn’t created in the first place?

I agree with Christoph, especially as I’ve noticed via submitted error reports that sometimes, the actual Application Support folder doesn’t exist and cannot be created (how on earth I have no idea).

Ideally the subfolder within the ApplicationData folder, should be the bundle identifier of your application (“com.matchsoftware.checkwriterplus”).
In regards to your crash report, it looks like you’re trying to write data in the application.close event? Try moving this to the CancelClose event instead (if I’m reading the report correctly).

[quote=188789:@Sam Rowlands]I agree with Christoph, especially as I’ve noticed via submitted error reports that sometimes, the actual Application Support folder doesn’t exist and cannot be created (how on earth I have no idea).

Ideally the subfolder within the ApplicationData folder, should be the bundle identifier of your application (“com.matchsoftware.checkwriterplus”).
In regards to your crash report, it looks like you’re trying to write data in the application.close event? Try moving this to the CancelClose event instead (if I’m reading the report correctly).[/quote]

I will check for the ApplicationData folder to exist. But then, where should I place my settings and data if it is not there ? I can always revert to default settings, but data ?

Noted for Close. I will correct that.

Thank you Sam.

[quote=188847:@Michel Bujardet]I will check for the ApplicationData folder to exist. But then, where should I place my settings and data if it is not there ? I can always revert to default settings, but data ?

Noted for Close. I will correct that.[/quote]

When creating a folder, check if it is indeed created. If not, try creating it again.
I too found out it sometimes doesn’t do this on the first try on a real device.

Sam’s advice to not write something to a file in the close event of the main app is very true (both for iOS and OS X). Sometimes this damages the file you are writing to.