Xojo website

Does Xojo use Xojo for its website ? , does not initially look like it. If so I wonder why?

They are not using Xojo for the website.

Xojo’s web support is for apps, not a website.

And a web app wouldn’t get indexed by search engines the way regular html does.

Ha! I was going to respond with a similar answer “website vs web-app” but wasn’t 100% sure it was the right answer :slight_smile:

you can always develop an app for editor/admin to edit the content and have the app write html files to deliver to people and search crawlers for reading.

why couldn’t you make a web site using xojo web ?
only because you wouldn’t be indexed by search engines ?

The line between “web site” and “web app” is pretty blurry. Could you make the human interaction experience more or less the same in xojo web vs php? Probably. But a public website needs to be very fast to load, easily indexable by non-humans (spiders, crawlers, etc) and is fundamentally a different beast (static pages vs. dynamic content).

If I’m writing a more or less static collection of pages that people access in a browser, I’ll probably write that in straight html+css with some libraries for skins etc. A Xojo web app is just overkill.

If I’m writing something that needs to talk to a database or provide some interactive / frequently updated content? Yeah, that’s a web app, and I’ll write that in php or possibly xojo web.

Xojo webapps can be a part of a website, in a iFrame for instance.

[quote=443752:@Kimball Larsen]The line between “web site” and “web app” is pretty blurry. Could you make the human interaction experience more or less the same in xojo web vs php? Probably. But a public website needs to be very fast to load, easily indexable by non-humans (spiders, crawlers, etc) and is fundamentally a different beast (static pages vs. dynamic content).

If I’m writing a more or less static collection of pages that people access in a browser, I’ll probably write that in straight html+css with some libraries for skins etc. A Xojo web app is just overkill.

If I’m writing something that needs to talk to a database or provide some interactive / frequently updated content? Yeah, that’s a web app, and I’ll write that in php or possibly xojo web.[/quote]
This is a pretty good description of the differences, but I wanted to add another way to think about it.

Xojo creates and app-like experience, typically for consuming or producing content. Websites are traditionally document-like experiences. Think of a PDF reader and a PDF. The reader is the app experience which consumes and manipulates the PDF document. Your browser is the app, the websites are the documents.

It gets blurry because through shear force of will over the last ~30 years we’ve pigeonholed an app experience into a document format.

Xojo creates apps. There are plenty of good document creation tools out there already.