Xojo Web 2.0 Scalability

Anyone know if there will be any scalability improvements in the new web framework? Using a load balancer works fine for splitting the workload over multiple cores, it would be cool if we could get more users served per server core.

You’d have to go to Xojo.Connect to find out
I expect they’ll be tight lipped about things until then

See you in Nashville where you can talk to @Greg O’Lone about it.

I doubt very much that changes to the framework alone will have much impact on the number of users that can be served, unless your application is very simple.

I worked mainly in banking and finance using C#, Java and to a lesser extend Python, but it did not really mater what tool set was chosen… if the applications were really simple, say a form filling exercise with a bit of processing you might get 1,000 - 2000 users up on a good server. But once you need to do real applications, like say a client advisor that needs to pull up your portfolio, make some recommendations and run some simulations, performance or attribution, etc, you’d end up with 60 -100 users on a good server. You are essentially running remote desktops and no framework is going to magic them down so you can run several hundred at a time.

As with anything, it depends. I suspect, based on what they’ve said already, that most people’s apps will be able to handle more users per core since more work is being done on the browser side. How that affects any particular app is going to depend on how that particular app is written and what kind of workload it has.

FWIW, the http server has been rewritten to be http/1.1 compliant which means that browsers can now take advantage of persistent connections (so they don’t have to keep reconnecting all the time). There is a lot less back and forth traffic between the server and the browser overall, especially after the framework has been delivered the first time, so that in of itself should allow more simultaneous users.

It would be nice to have a small benchmark app to test the transactions nb. of the old and the new web framework.