Xojo renames folder of project

This is getting on my nerves. At least once a day Xojo 2014r2.1 renames the folder where my project lives in. Mostly this is temp names like “002601c69413$845d8a10$2047b248” but I’ve also seen other names. I don’t remember when I’ve seen this first, maybe with 2013r4 or so. Mac OS 10.9.5. I’m using mostly external binary files with about 450 externals.

Is anyone else seeing this?

[quote=133581:@Beatrix Willius]This is getting on my nerves. At least once a day Xojo 2014r2.1 renames the folder where my project lives in. Mostly this is temp names like “002601c69413$845d8a10$2047b248” but I’ve also seen other names. I don’t remember when I’ve seen this first, maybe with 2013r4 or so. Mac OS 10.9.5. I’m using mostly external binary files with about 450 externals.

Is anyone else seeing this?[/quote]

Never saw that for the folder in which I save the source. Is it on a standard disk ? Any kind of third party version control software ?

Yeah, I’m special :wink:

Standard disk. I’m using Cornerstone. But this shouldn’t do anything while I’m editing in Xojo. This also wasn’t running most of the times the folder renamed itself.

What else could this be? Gremlins? Ilvetrischen? Yeti?

[quote=133591:@Beatrix Willius]Yeah, I’m special :wink:

Standard disk. I’m using Cornerstone. But this shouldn’t do anything while I’m editing in Xojo. This also wasn’t running most of the times the folder renamed itself.

What else could this be? Gremlins? Ilvetrischen? Yeti?[/quote]

At first glance, Xojo should not even get anywhere near the name of a folder containing the source. I would blame all these three an add a couple smurfs and goblins before thinking about Xojo.

Hopefully, one of the friendly Xojo engineers around will be able to shed light on the phenomenon.

Since you say it happens only once a day, it seems pretty difficult to corner. You could use lsof to track open files through a timer and trigger an alert when the name of your folder comes up, so you know which program is trying to modify it.
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/lsof.8.html

I just ran lsof and the folder containing the project I have opened does not appear in the list. So it seems after opening a file, Xojo releases it.

Has never happened to me in the 5+ years I’ve used RealBasic/Real Studio/Xojo.

Hello Beatrix,

I also use Mac OSX 10.9.5, Cornerstone and Xojo 2014R1-2014R2.1. I haven’t seen your described behaviour on my MAC.
But I don’t bind to external binaries.

Of course, you are :slight_smile:
Each of us is unique.

@Michel: thanks for the tip with lsof. I’ll try that.

Are you by any chance moving these folders around in your project?

Nope, no moving around. Just steady editing+compiling. Then I go to Cornerstone to commit and notice that something is wrong.

Which folder ?
I’m assuming you have something like

folder
      project   (vcp, xml or binary doesn't really matter)

and that the containing folder is the one you referring to ?

Yes, that’s correct. It’s always the folder that is containing the project that is renamed.

We don’t have any code that would rename that one.
Really.
The folders created BY the IDE we will take actions based on what you do in the project as they represent the folders in your project.
But the one containing the project we really don’t have any code to touch its name. At most we get the path to the project for determining relative path names but thats it.

So very odd. Then it can only be gremlins in my computer.

Ones with a particularly odd sense of humor apparently

Normally, changing the containing folder should get Xojo up in arms when you save, since it could not find the path anymore. As you do not mention any error, it seems at the time you save, the folder still has it’s original name.

Could it be Cornestone itself that renames the folder ?

Before I got more RAM 2 weeks ago I had Cornerstone only open during commit. But it can only be Cornerstone. Will ask the dev.

And no, when the path changes nothing much happens with Xojo. It only get’s confused on building.

• I just created a test folder, and saved inside a project.
  • Renamed the folder
  • Then I modified my project and went “save”.

Xojo goes “About to save” and shows a ProgressBar, then displays :

Unable to save project correctly to this location. This may happen if the location is read only.

That is what I call “up in arms” …

But this happens in Windows only. Apparently, on the Mac some magic prevents the error…

In the line of what I suggested of a program to monitor with lsof, you may want to monitor the folder name, to display an alert when it changes. May give you a hint as when this happens.

Windows uses paths
Change the path & things break and a rename does that

OS X uses aliases (basically mac aliases) which can handle renames, moves, etc
They’re darned smart. Sometimes too smart though :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m also using 10.9.5 and Cornerstone, and have lots of externals (though mine are mostly XML format externals). I’ve never seen this happen.