XOJO R17 1.1 Download Problem

I initiated the XOJO R17 1.1 update from the XOJO downloads page on Thursday 4/27. Early in the download, I saw the 1Password Safari extension moved to the Mac trash. At the completion of the update, 1Password seemed not to work properly and shortcuts I had previously created no longer worked. After this, I restored the entire Mac from an earlier Time Machine backup and tried the R17 1.1 update again. The same thing happened again with the 1Password Safari extension being moved to the trash. Again, I restored the mac from an earlier Time Machine backup. This time, I updated to R17 1.1 using the pop-up that appears when you run XOJO. This method did not affect the 1Password Safari extension and the update went smoothly with no effect on 1Password.

Maybe I am being paranoid, but this behavior looks suspicious. Could there may be some XOJO website download malware that is trying to use the 1Password extension to steal login password information?

I do not had that.

Did you try to download from FireFox ?

Also, there is no asked Password when downloading the current Xojo.

Did you try to download it from another user (from your machine) ?

Now, everything is possible.

I’d really doubt it given the number of successful downloads there have been
This sounds almost like something on your machine (not sure what though)
Plus we dont require a password to download it from https://www.xojo.com/download/

We have to sign in or create an account before downloading.

[quote=328260:@James Holden]I initiated the XOJO R17 1.1 update from the XOJO downloads page on Thursday 4/27. Early in the download, I saw the 1Password Safari extension moved to the Mac trash. At the completion of the update, 1Password seemed not to work properly and shortcuts I had previously created no longer worked. After this, I restored the entire Mac from an earlier Time Machine backup and tried the R17 1.1 update again. The same thing happened again with the 1Password Safari extension being moved to the trash. Again, I restored the mac from an earlier Time Machine backup. This time, I updated to R17 1.1 using the pop-up that appears when you run XOJO. This method did not affect the 1Password Safari extension and the update went smoothly with no effect on 1Password.

Maybe I am being paranoid, but this behavior looks suspicious. Could there may be some XOJO website download malware that is trying to use the 1Password extension to steal login password information?[/quote]
It sounds to me as if there’s also an update available. Did you look and see if it was simply replaced?

Yes but thats not the download page

James wrote “Early in the download”, not before the download I was asked for a password…

James ?

Thanks to all for comments. I just have a few more items to consider. I have been using 1Password for a very long time and have never experienced any download issues affecting 1Password. Also, when the XOJO download caused the Safari 1Password extension to be placed in the Trash, why is there still a 1Password extension in Safari? Has the Safari 1Password extension been replaced by a rogue version that is doing some password mischief? I also noticed after the moving of the Safari extension to the Trash that the 1Password mini icon on the Menu bar no longer worked and that desktop shortcuts previously created in 1Password no longer worked but using the 1Password icon within Safari did work. I guess this could be something wrong on my end, but I have no problem with other downloads.

I don’t want to make any accusations about the XOJO website downloads but I would like some explanation for this behavior before I ever download from the site again

What you describe makes absolutely no sense.

A file download could never have enough permissions to do anything to an extension in Safari. It is simply impossible program wise.

I would suggest :

1 - You install Chrome or Firefox in order to download 2017R1.1. That way your precious extension will never even see that file.

2 - Remove the 1Password extension and replace it by the latest one from 1password.com or from the MAS. I suppose you are aware that there was indeed issues with 1Password using an expired security certificate not that long ago https://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/12/mac-app-store-apps-damaged-expired-receipts-issue/

Greg’s thinking is that there may be an update to 1Password. And that’s why the 1Password was triggered and maybe, maybe what happened after was due to the 1Password update. I must add that I do not use 1Password update so I am not familiar with its behaviour.

As to the allusion that Xojo website may have a download malware that steal password, I think it is not necessary.

Since nobody else is experiencing this problem, it must be something on my side causing this issue. Sorry to infer that XOJO website has malware - it is most likely fine and my blaming it is just my frustration in not being able to solve this problem. If I find the cause, I will post it. Again, thanks to everyone for your comments.

Did you update your macOS ? Safari ?

I think I read somewhere there is a change in Safari regarding Extensions. Try to download something from a different web server with your actual boot disk / Safari.

Just to be clear, I just downloaded the latest version of 1Password on my machine and the safari browser extension is indeed broken. This has nothing to do with downloading Xojo.

I just received help from Agilebits with a temporary fix to the Safari extension problem. If Safari extensions are set to automatically update extensions, the latest extension is installed (Ver 4.6.4) automatically and this accounts for seeing the 1password extension in the trash. This ver 4.6.4 has the problem with the Safari 1Password icon. If you back down the extension to 4.6.3 and disable automatic extension updates the problem is fixed.

For some reason, the only download that triggered this automatic update of the extension on my Mac was the R17 1.1 download. Other downloads that I tried (although much smaller) did not trigger the update and I have no explanation for this. Very sorry to falsely implicate the XOJO download for this problem. Agilebits forum states that they will make an announcement when this problem is fixed and users can return to using automatic extension updates. Sincere apologies to XOJO, Jim