xojo_project (version control)

The problems seem to be adding up using this type of project.
Maybe one can explain if it wouldn’t be better if xojo could actually create the dynamic folders (in a xojo_project)
so that they will be actual in the parent folder of the *.xojo_project file.

This way xojo wouldn’t need to ask me everytime to locate the folders.

Or is there another way around?

I have a mirrored copy of someone else his project but it KEEPS asking for me to locate images, and other files.

Are you saving the project after you open it?

I open the project, it loads and asks me to “locate item…”

Then i run an save ofcourse sometimes.

If you don’t save, the changes you make to the locations of the images don’t change, so yes, it will ask each time. They get saved into the xojo_project file itself.

FWIW, we use the xojo_project format for the IDE itself, shared among several developers as well as our build systems and none of them have this issue, so I’m leaning toward this being specific to your situation.

When you say that you have “a mirrored copy” of someone else’s project, can you elaborate on what you mean by that a little?

[quote=221319:@Greg O’Lone]If you don’t save, the changes you make to the locations of the images don’t change, so yes, it will ask each time. They get saved into the xojo_project file itself.

FWIW, we use the xojo_project format for the IDE itself, shared among several developers as well as our build systems and none of them have this issue, so I’m leaning toward this being specific to your situation.

When you say that you have “a mirrored copy” of someone else’s project, can you elaborate on what you mean by that a little?[/quote]

Funny, but saving doesn’t help. It keeps asking me every time i re-open the project. Please explain how this should not be happening?

Um… because saving will update the files on disk. Because that’s what save always does.

When you save the project, are you saving a new copy as binary by chance? If the project doesn’t match up exactly, you cannot do an in-place save, and instead you’ll be prompted to save as if it were a new document. Your default is probably binary, and you may not realize you’re saving a binary copy.

If that isn’t it, open the xojo_project and look through the file listings for paths that don’t look right. The format is pretty simple.

[quote=221344:@Thom McGrath]Um… because saving will update the files on disk. Because that’s what save always does.

When you save the project, are you saving a new copy as binary by chance? If the project doesn’t match up exactly, you cannot do an in-place save, and instead you’ll be prompted to save as if it were a new document. Your default is probably binary, and you may not realize you’re saving a binary copy.

If that isn’t it, open the xojo_project and look through the file listings for paths that don’t look right. The format is pretty simple.[/quote]

The default save is “Text” not binary.
No saved project as binary seems to be in the folder. It happens almost all the times, even if it’s saved i have to locate item…

I know that “saving writes to disk” … :wink:
It seems the paths dont get updated some times.

Is the project on a network drive or shared drive like Dropbox?

No, it’s in my repository folder. I’m not syncing sometimes get the dialog to locate items…
I’ll try to find the paths structure see if something is wrong there.

[quote=221552:@Derk Jochems]No, it’s in my repository folder. I’m not syncing sometimes get the dialog to locate items…
I’ll try to find the paths structure see if something is wrong there.[/quote]
You might check to see if the main file got locked. That would cause this.

How would i (un)lock this ?

First I’d just look at the file itself on disk. Since you’re using version control, you should also check and see if it was locked through there.

Seen the new release has a new “Collect” FEATURE, AWSOME! THanks such great supprise.

I’m sure you can find more than that in the 500+ items in the release notes :stuck_out_tongue:

You know, this is really the only feature i’m using today. All others are awsome but for me not really required.

The collect feature helps me fixing an issue instantly that caused the team to have many hours input, to be gone in seconds.