XOJO Performance (From a newbie point of view)

Just to add a data point: one of my projects on my M1 Mini (and previously on my i7 Mac Pro) has the following, and I don’t see slowness:

• 124 Classes
  • 77 Windows
  • 37 Images
  • 19 ContainerControls
  • 7 Modules
  • 4 MenuBars
  • 2 FileTypes
  • 2 Plists
  • 1 AppleScript
  • 1 Interface

One of these windows has something like 100 controls, nested in containers of various depths.

I don’t leave items expanded in the navigator that I’m not currently working on, everything is sorted in to folders such as Windows, Classes, Modules, MenuBars, etc. I also don’t use multiple tabs often, and when I do I end up dragging it off to a second window because tab switching annoys me.

Yes newbie to the Xojo ide…but i have along time analyzing, coding, debugging and architecting software. Plus sharing an app with a NDA is not the smartest thing one can do.

I would have to do one from scratch but i would take some time. Thanks for ur reply.

Hi Anthony, Would u mind sharing a quick video (if possible) with u clicking and selecting items in the left nav bar? Specially windows with many controls. I would love to see how snappy the ide is within ur project. Again maybe as a “newbie” i am expecting the unexpected.

Sure. I took this video of the GraffitiSuite Desktop demo. It’s roughly the same size and complexity.

3 Likes

Create a copy of the project and start deleting stuff and see if there’s something that causes a large increase in speed.

Can’t you blur out any pertinent info from the video it happening?

1 Like

Does it not strike anyone as a little bit strange that the OP will not share either a video or a demo file - we want to help but the OP appears unwilling to cooperate?

What other applications are you using (running) while you are programming with Xojo ?
Is nternet on and if so, what browser(s) ?

At that time:

• Chrome
  • Safari
  • Firefox
  • Discord
  • Teams
  • Parallels running Win10ARM
  • Spotify
  • VSCode

And a few other minor apps.

I work under NDA a lot. I can understand their hesitation. It’s better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

I suffer from a GENERAL slowdown (Wojo is not really slow here) when I run a browser / Internet active.

When I shut off internet (WiFi), reboot, no application running (except macOS of course), my hard disk regain its speed (internal SSD).
If I boot on an external HD, the slow also appears. (Still not with Xojo).

Sounds like you have some significant system issues that aren’t Xojo-related.

Does it? Strange i dont want to share an app that has an NDA? Hmmm… ok u r free to think what u like sir. :wink:

Thank u so much Anthony. Great video. I watched ur video and i can see some delay on ur selection. Mine started like that but now is a little more… add one second for some of the windows.

None. My computer was restored (erased the ssd, data partition, formated the drive again, install latest Big Sur, did not install any of my apps from apple, did not connected my external data ssd) its only xojo. I am doing other test… sounds like big sur can slow down ur system… trying to see if i can go back to catalina. See what happens.

Maybe, this is the way the ide works? I am doing my own debugging here but it will take time since work is my priority.

1-2 seconds for a window with 1 control is a bit of a delay but again its bearable. Like other people had said it… u get used to it.

Are you implying that the OP is lying? That is very rude and outrageous to say the least. What short-sightedness. Surplus that by doing so you are actually trying to claim that Xojo is not slow at all and works perfectly. <action … put on ignore list>

1 Like

Bear in mind, this is after days of use, multiple large projects running, and everything else running that I listed above. I don’t normally feel that the IDE is sluggish, even compared to other IDEs, but I may be in the minority.

As suggested before, try removing controls one-by-one and see if this helps. It could well be one control that triggers this.

1 Like

How about creating a simple demo app that uses the same number of controls but not representing your design or original layout – So you don’t reveal anything about your app? No code, just controls. Don’t even name the controls anything. Just put them on a window. Does this appear just as slow to you? If so, show a video as requested. No need to be shy since its not your main app, just a demo of controls on a window.

3 Likes

Just for fun, I decided to make a quick 2 min video demo showing respectable speeds on two different Macs: A 2013 i7 and 2020 M1, both on Big Sur 11.2.3 running Xojo 2020 2.1. Tested both light and dark modes, and most importantly, using the exact specs you said you are seeing very slow results with:

30 Labels
10 Buttons
3 ListBoxes
3 Canvases
3 SearchFields
1 TabControl (5 tabs)

See video for the results. Would we all love it to be instant in all cases? Sure. But seems pretty snappy to my eyes as it stands now, even on the 2013 i7.

5 Likes