Xojo on Linux Debian -Help

Since switching to the Linux/Debian Wheezy 7.4 platform with Xojo desktop I can no longer complete projects due to ultra slow reactions from Xojo. I even tried to revert to Real2012r2 same thing.

There are so many problems. Even importing old projects created on win desktop editions are giving me a headache.

Since I have had enough of Microsoft and will/cannot not revert back, and Mac is not my cup of tea, Linux is my choice. Does anyone have suggestions to alternative development tools that works really well on Linux/Debian?

Hi Vince,

How about a bit more information? 32bit or 64bit machine? How much RAM? What type of processor?

Tim

Hey Tim, OK.

I’m running the latest (stable) ‘fresh’ install of Debian Rel 7.4 (wheezy) 32-bit
Kernel Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae
GNOME 3.4.2
Memory 4.0 GiB
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz x 2
Disk space available: 638 Gib

That should be quite a good system for Xojo development. However, what happens if you change desktop managers from GNOME to FVWM or one of the other low-overhead desktop managers? I’ve seen some graphics environments become very sluggish and slow Xojo down if the graphics card is limited. Xojo does a lot of display updates while running, so a lesser video card could be getting in your way.

Could be the problem.
I have a decent graphic cards installed [AMD] [Radeon HD 3600 Series].
I will try to get the latest drivers for Linux then we’ll see.

I have latest Graphic card drivers. All other apps ect works perfectly, but Xojo and even Real2012r2 are causing problems. What a shame… Anyone?

You didn’t disclose the type of card. Can you run the GNOME desktop with full graphics enabled? Here’s my 2GB CentOS 6.2 system running a large project under 13r4.1:

Xojo 13r4.1 on CentOS w/2GB RAM

This is as quick as any other app I run on that box.

Is your install running more slowly than that?

[AMD] [Radeon HD 3600 Series]. But like I said it’s slower than yours and a bit frustrating to say the least when you want/need to work fast.
All other application including games run perfectly. Its only Xojo that creates stutter.

Yes - I suspect that the aging (over 6 years old) HD 3600 is mainly to blame here. The latest X11 drivers aren’t really focussed on performance of the older ATI chipsets. Folks would really be surprised to learn exactly how much graphics work is being done in the Xojo IDE.

I’d truly suspect that a simple update to a newer model GPU would surprise you. I’ve pretty much given up on the AMD/ATI chips for Linux. You can get a better Nvidia GT630 for under $70 and I know that works well with a normal Linux system (we have 3 of them running here) when you use Nvidia’s non-OSS driver.

Tim, Thanks for your replies. Will this card work IYO?

That one will do great (especially compared to your current card :slight_smile: ). Just be sure to download the latest Nvidia drivers for Linux instead of using the default drivers.

Thanks again. New card is on it’s way then we’ll see.

Tim perhaps you can answer one question. I have copied a whole folder that contains my project, image folder ect. from an external hd to my computer’s Documents folder. For some reason whenever I open the project now Xojo points to the original path location on the external drive instead of the relative path e.g. /image/pict1.jpg. Why is that and how can I prevent this from happening when moving/copying folders?

I have too many images to change paths one by one. And just pointing to the image folder is not enough.Every single file has to be pointed out manually. Any idea?

The issue is that the original saved project was saved with the absolute, full paths. You should save as VCP, open the .rbvcp or .xojotextproject file and manually change the absolute paths to relative paths. The good news is that once you make that change, it will stick with each new save.

@Wayne Golding has a nice feature request for a resolution to this <https://xojo.com/issue/17042>.

The original folder was a copied folder from windows and had been moved around several times to different locations without problems. But copying the folder to Linux changed the problem. I did change path now, resulting that I had to re-select all images individually in the right locations in the GUI.

If I may add, I’m facing the same ultra-slow performance running awesome WM with almost no other load on a system with 8GB of RAM, an i7 processor, and 2 GB of Video RAM on an Nvidia 635m (laptop).

Ironically for testing purposes I installed Xojo in a windows 8 VM and it ran smoothly. On an EMULATED video card. Can’t do any developing this way =(