Xojo On A DVD

I would like to know if Xojo will fit nicely on a 4.6GB DVD. Will the installation of it run fine among different computers when I put the CD in. If so, which installer would I use

I’m not sure I understand your question. The Xojo downloads are each only a few hundred MB so they will all easily fit on a DVD. I would expect you can run the installers (or DMG or OS X) from the DVD.

Are you asking if Xojo will run FROM the DVD? It will definitely fit on a DVD…

The IDE itself should run as it does not try to write to the DVD.
However, licenses will be installed in users accounts on whatever machines you run it on as will other supporting items.

[quote=53473:@Norman Palardy]The IDE itself should run as it does not try to write to the DVD.
However, licenses will be installed in users accounts on whatever machines you run it on as will other supporting items.[/quote]
And that is bad if you run the DVD in a client machine for example.

DVD? What’s a DVD? :slight_smile:

CD-ROM / Different subject but…

I burned a test CD-ROM with a Multimedia Application created with Xojo and run it from the CD.

It worked ‘fine’, but crashed (it seems so) when I created a pdf.

Nota: I do not know where I tried to save it / it may not be Xojo’s faule (or my application). I do not had time to investigate, so I do not really know the cause: I may have tried to write the print as pdf on the CD-ROM itself; it is possible. I was so in a hurry that I can do that. All I recall is I do not found the pdf / I clicked too fast in the return key to understand where I saved the pdf.

THE MAIN IDEA IS: I can run that application from a CD-ROM. Since (to date) I do not wrote anything to the disk / os, ity is transparent from the user point of view.

BUT: someone else can wrote files to the boot hard disk (I saw some on my system folder and I know I do not wrote them.)

I do not unterstand your subject but Xojo Apps here runs on read-only Network shares and should run on CD/DVD drives aswell… as long they do not try to create or write something without exception handling in their apps Folder. The right place for this would be %appdata% on Win or /application support on Mac in the current user’s home directory.

I guess your problem is related to something else …

Thanks Tomas:

I guess your problem is related to something else …
It certainly is.

I had two ‘instances’ of the CD-ROM loaded at the same time and from the Save As… diaog, it is hard to know where I save the file. And I do not checked - take enough care to where I save it.

I had the CD-ROM AND the dmg I used to burn the CD-ROM open at the same time.

since I do not found the ‘created pdf’ file ‘on line’, I suppose that I selected the CD-ROM root folder as the location.

I will make a new try later (I have to make some changes to the application) and carefully check where I try to save the pdf file.
BTW: I ran the application from the dmg and store the pdf in my hard disk without trouble. I guess it is just a matter of location.

or the rights of the user on this system

Hi,

I’ve made further testings after creating a new version and then burning a brand new CD-RW.

It works fine, maybe a bit slow (if you want speed, make a copy in your hard disk). The pdf generation works fine and opens in the Downloads folder by default.

Mountain Lion / Xojo 3.3 / MacBook Pro 2011-11.

[quote=54136:@Emile Schwarz]
It works fine, maybe a bit slow (if you want speed, make a copy in your hard disk).[/quote]
Or maybe a USB-stick instead of a DVD(whatever that is) :slight_smile: