Xojo Navigator (Canvas/Listbox)

Out of curiosity!

Maybe it has already been mentioned, but I just wonder, as I understand the Navigator in Xojo is build on a Canvas class. What was the reason for moving away from the Listbox class used in Realstudio ?

I do not mean getting the same look and feel from Realstudio, but I just wonder what benefits to use the Canvas class

I’m not sure if it’s a canvas subclass or a Container control list. Either way, I believe there were issues getting the look and feel they wanted from the listbox. One of them was the hover(?) scrollbar to give it a true Cocoa look and feel.

The listbox is very flexible/powerful but it’s also a pain to customize depending upon your needs. Perhaps they felt they would be better off going a different route. I’ve heard for years, at developer conferences, that they want to replace the listbox with something better but I think it’s always been on the low end of the priority list.

[quote=37647:@Bob Keeney]
The listbox is very flexible/powerful but it’s also a pain to customize depending upon your needs. Perhaps they felt they would be better off going a different route. I’ve heard for years, at developer conferences, that they want to replace the listbox with something better but I think it’s always been on the low end of the priority list.[/quote]

They keep taking about native listboxes… It is hard to see how they could have native listboxes with all the flexibility of the current one (and more) and still have a consistent XPlatform API… I would think that would tend towards the lowest common denominator.

Now

Sure. The lowest common denominator is going to win. But considering that the listbox isn’t native now that may or may not be much of a concern.

I think what they would like to do, or at least it’s been discussed over (quite) a few drinks at XDC is having some sort of grid where individual cells would be made up of container controls. Lot’s of pitfalls in such a thing though and unless they need it for something in the IDE I wouldn’t hold my breath in seeing it soon. 64 bit, LLVM, iOS and fixing the Navigator all seem to be pretty high on their dev list while a new grid is not.