Xojo misrepresented on Wikipedia

Marcus, you keep placing thoughts in my head and words in my writing… I am not trying to be authoritative. I simply share my disgust for ignorant rants and generalized misinformation. Yes, I observe stupid posts with a large amount of amazement. It does not make me any class of person, nor does it make me less entitled to sharing my feelings towards what I consider a vulgar and intrusive phenomenon. When I seat in a public place and have to deal with loud, intrusive and altogether badly behaved individuals, I do not have to like it. Same when public forums are concerned. Being polite does not mean letting ignorance rule.

Nope. I’m letting you know how what you say is coming across. Believe me, I have had my fair share of where what I thought I said was very different from how it was received.

And I think that we got the gist of the naming problem that is cause for a LOT of confusion and consequently negative feelings about Xojo: People “expect” a functionality with the term “fully functional” which is ONLY valid if the free version is the same as a fully licensed version. As you see from our exchange even seasoned users can’t make the distinction. And unless Xojo can make the distinction clear – for example by calling it “Teaching Edition” or “Learning Edition” or even “Xojo (Free Edition)” - that confusion will continue to result in negative publicity.

Precisely, you should know that one cannot please everybody. As a matter of fact, if one writes only to be welcome, it leads to being a yes man, or a carpet. I will not be part of that. I have known the Internet for over 30 years and observed the take over of public forums by a horde of ignorants to such an extent that Usenet became unusable, and places where to find reasonably intelligent people have become rare enough to be cherished. Here being one of them. Now, if my personal taste for quality forums offends morons, too bad. You are not one of them, and I always enjoy your discussion :wink:

Quite frankly, I am sick and tired, once again, of the rule of the cheap and the ignorant. I have been a member of Association of Shareware Professionals since 1993 and observed first hand how shareware zip archives where plundered and taken apart by unscrupulous spandrels. My own font samples are now offered for download by countless sites which have stripped them of all documentation and in fact are stealing me of any chance to ever make a buck out of them. The ‘pay is bad’ intellectual terrorism that makes stealing software grand and selling it dishonorable is the real fallacy. It is what makes any sharing of evaluation software difficult. It is not enough to offer a working Xojo copy to a public who has not enough manners to even say thank you, now they should offer the full license for free. Or should they pay pirates to post cracked version on torrent sites ? Damn if you do, damned if you don’t. Snits will be snits. In the pile of rats may still be a few like you and I who will pay their due and enjoy the product. This probably justify the efforts of posting evaluation versions, and endure unfair criticism.

Unfortunately, I have seen poor attitude and comments made by a select few (no names), to numerous individuals recently within these very forums. Not only do these “new-comers” feel unwelcome (which means Xojo probably will lose their sale :-/), but the 1000 forum users that venture the posts generally get a feeling of disgust. On the flip-side, as one of the largest active community owners outside of the Xojo Forums (www.xojodevspot.com), I have received disturbing messages from some people that want to know a little about Xojo, and either find a google search posting containing a negative “almost hateful” response to another member by a Xojo community member," or they themselves are the victim of the response. (I teach Xojo one-on-one to anyone who inquires, and work with them to gain a foundation…them send them on their way :-)). Xojo,Inc., nor any individual should tolerate any such childish behavior or attitudes …especially after all the “bullying” laws which have come into effect here in the United States. Cyber-bullying, is actually a federal crime now, under recent court rulings; and is defined as demeaning or be-littling content which causes psychological trauma. In fact, to take offense or feel “hurt,” is just that. So perhaps everyone would fare better to be nice to everyone, and if one doesn’t have something nice to say; (age old cliche here it comes…) then perhaps one should say nothing at all? Everyone should be more aware and conscientious of what they say…actually put some thought into it. People too often say what they think; when we should say what we mean, and mean what we say. It’s sad that one of the most long-running Xojo (Real Studio) users actually reached a breaking point to post the following:

But…Life is unfair, for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction, we all have bad days, we all win a little and lose a little, everyone is equal, we’re in this boat together, and we all have the “worlds smallest violins playing just for us!” There is no sense in worrying about something which cannot be changed; rather it is a waste of energy and time, where “irreplaceable time” could be well spent. Titles, positions, held-jobs, awards…all that, in the end doesn’t matter…we eat, we sleep, we live, we die. I’ve met people with doctorates who baffle me as to how they obtained them, and people with the highest esteemed positions be the lowest of lowlies.

The last comment reminds me of one of the “psyche” links which were shared at the conference about “How development companies fall under.” When after about 15-20 years a set of “seasoned” individuals bog the company and community with false grandness/expectations and feel that there is “an established procedure of conduct” everyone must follow, and they give negative communications towards any individual, they feel, is “less superior.” I have noticed the warning signs appearing over the last year or so within the community…which turn a “corporate Atlantis” into a “cardboard shanty.”

Here’s one potential read to think about…
http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2012/07/kicking-off-the-summer-of-love/

So here’s a mid-new years resolution everyone…lets be positive, be kind to eachother, and show the world what awesome stuff we can do with Xojo, and that our community is “the place to be!”

Be excellent to each other.

Party on dudes!

So you are placing yourself as judge of what should be said or not in this forum. Because you are “more superior” ? That is called censorship…

[quote=86828:@Matthew Combatti]Hi Dana,

I imagine that Xojo has SO analysts working in the background somewhere yes? What about cultural/psychological analysts? There is some research I’d love to share with you, on why this type of data is vital for Xojo to take into consideration, if it wants to rapidly expand and/or continue to have a steady/exponential growth. I took a seat listening in on another development company (company has expanded to 10 times the size of Xojo with the same number of employees, in less than a 5th of the almost 20 year Xojo run) conference, and the fact they hire cultural/psychological analysts is their reason for the intense growth rate. Apple does it, microsoft does it, google does it, and it’s a little kept secret to their huge successes. If nothing more the datas are good reads and the more you search the web, the more the impact is evident. I would love to see a “Xojo Revolution,” and for the past 2 years have been trying to ‘rope’ in as many new people as possible to join the community. More developers = more community resources. If what they said in the conference is true, it may be a future key to Xojo’s success, over search engine results. I’d be glad to mail you some reads about it.

-Matt[/quote]

Would you be willing to share this with others as well? I would definitely be interested to see how I might apply the above to my own startups.

Matthew: well said. You brought up some points which I wanted to say as well. And like Alwyn I would be interested in your insights as well. Maybe write an article for xDev?

Michel: please point out to me where Matthew said anything like this. Then please go over your own postings and consider:

• if you don’t misunderstand people
  • if you are not insulting to people (like “Precisely, you should know that one cannot please everybody. As a matter of fact, if one writes only to be welcome, it leads to being a yes man, or a carpet. I will not be part of that.” So you are considering me and Matthew to be Yes men? Be cause that’s what you imply.)
  • wether what you complain about (unjustified in my opinion) is not exactly what you are doing yourself (Matthew isn’t judging, but you most certainly are)
  • wether you have contributed anything constructive to the problem at hand (which is that Xojo gets negative feedback for misunderstandings on the user’s part) or if what you are doing wouldn’t better be described as “venting” (and doing so with insults/insinuations that reflect quite badly on you - and no, that’s not something to be proud of).

To be honest you sound very bitter and full of rage, with a very narrow point of view. Seems to me you have three options. You can use the rage as a motivation to change and achieve things. You can let go of it because it isn’t worth holding on to and do something more to your liking. Or you can vent and spread unhappiness around. Only two of those options have a positive impact.

It is also not about being “Yes men” or “always having a positive attitude”. That’s bs. It is about being constructive. To contribute to the community. And yes, I’ve been guilty of venting myself. Not my finest hours, and certainly not something to be proud of. I have to admire Bob Keeney here who always seems to be able to hold his cool and come up with constructive criticism.

And for the record: these forums are censored :wink:

P.S. Let it go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk :wink:

I just watched that movie with my son for the first time.
My wife wasn’t home when we watched this.
She told me later that he told her when I wasn’t there, that him and dad watched another of dad’s weird movies.
Seems to become a trend at our house.