Xojo Linux Reviewed in NetworkWorld

Just read this review of Xojo for Linux

Encouraging…

[quote=152504:@Dan Star]Just read this review of Xojo for Linux

Encouraging…[/quote]

That just shows how urgent 64 bit is for Web Edition Linux, and Desktop Linux. I wonder when the guy wrote his article, though. Must have been a while ago.

It says December 9th. Too bad he didn’t try Mint w/ cinnamon.

My experience is that often, journalists complete their papers a couple weeks or more before publication. This guy seems to ignore Linux 64 bit was in the tube. Yet Geoff’s blog post about iOS and 64 bit is dated October 21, and it feels as though the journalist was not aware of it.

Actually, about 2/3 of the way down, he has a paragraph with this in it:

[quote]
The Xojo team says that fixing this is a big priority for 2015 (as is adding support for 64-bit on Linux; it can currently only build 32-bit executables). But considering this is a long-standing issue… I’m left feeling like Linux support is an afterthought.[/quote]

[quote=152528:@Bill Gookin]Actually, about 2/3 of the way down, he has a paragraph with this in it:
The Xojo team says that fixing this is a big priority for 2015 (as is adding support for 64-bit on Linux; it can currently only build 32-bit executables). But considering this is a long-standing issue… I’m left feeling like Linux support is an afterthought.[/quote]

It just shows the guy is rather swayed towards Livecode and Lazarus. It is always suspect when someone blends a review of a product with advertisement for another. Since Livecode forums don’t show real name I can’t verify that, but I would not be surprised if he were an adept user of Livecode in the first place. But hey, am just an old guy who still stupidly believes in outdated journalism objectivity…

It sounds like a genuine comment and not anything biased towards another development tool to me…

Yeah, right :wink:

Can’t see refutable points on the article. Citing competition sometimes isn’t bias towards some “preferred product”, even more when you cite more than one in the comparison. Linux really needs an overhaul and being able to use multiple cores.

Agreed. I’m a big Xojo fan but 64-bit support should have been delivered long ago and IDE performance on Linux is terrible. I look forward to 64-bit support in 2015 and hope the IDE evolves to the point that it is usable, as opposed to barely tolerable, on most current Linux distributions.

FWIW He used to be an RS user and was selling RS add-ons at one time

I had Xojo on Mint Maya 13 32bit, Desktop Environment: XFCE 4 and considering it was a single core 6 year old laptop it did ok, never crashed, it had a progressive slowdown but that turned out to be a Linux bug with UPower
For about 6 weeks I worked between Linux and a i7 with Windows and I didn’t think it was to bad, the laptop now has Win10 and its a lot worse
For what its worth I choose Maya and XFCE 4 because the laptop has a SIS video card that’s not supported in new distros… its very light weight and fast, as long as there’s no Xojo plugins it was fine