Xojo just lost all my classes

Xojo 2014r3, Mac OS X 10.10.

Xojo just crashed on me, and when I relaunched it, all my custom classes that I added to the project were gone.

There had been no unsaved changes before Xojo crashed.

Very frustrated.

Happened to me yesterday, OSX 10.9.5 and Xojo 2014R3.1. But the classes and custom controls still existed in the projects file structure. So I had to drag them into the project navigator. I run the project which runs but nothing gets visible ( the dock item icon of my app was shown as the Xojo standard icon).

I used Subversion to get a former state of the project, press run and when it fails I added the missing classes from the project folder again. Then it worked well with a new compiler run.

I don’t know if it’s still true but it used to be the case that Xojo would silently fail to save any file that was open in another app. In this case, perhaps your version control client had the project’s manifest open?

Perhaps it could be in my case that the opened Cornerstone (Subversion-Client) influences with Xojo.

I use Cornerstone here, and haven’t run into this problem.

Thanks,
good to know, that the combination is not the problem. But it reminds me to my first feedback I opened within my first days using Xojo. I also used Cornerstone and Xojo at the same time and I got a crash from Xojo and a not working project file. So I think I have done something wrong.

Unfortunately I don’t get the parts together while Xojo crashes last night and the classes were lost in the project file. After adding the missing classes I debugged the software. The braikpoint in App.open was reached but not the breakpoint in my mainForm.open event handler. The app runs but shows nothing.

I went the easy way and just used a former state of the software, reopened it with Xojo, added the missing classes and run it again.

And now I wish all of you Merry Christmas.

The project was not open in any other program but it was located in a folder controlled by OneDrive.

I suspect Xojo silently failed to save the changes that I was making to the project. I kept Xojo open for a couple days and the project was always open too.

Is it possible that the project file was somehow “locked” by OneDrive and Xojo couldn’t save the changes and failed to warn me about it?

A small correction: I’m running Xojo 2014r3.1.

I just tested locking the manifest file while the project is open and Xojo responds by disallowing any changes to the project at all without telling you why. Next I’ll try to recreate the issues I was having with the GitHub client.

I can’t reproduce the problem at all. Either GitHub fixed their client so I can no longer recreate the conditions and/or Xojo made a change.

Thanks for testing, Kem.

I’ve realised that some of the changes I made during the last couple days have been left intact.

The new classes I added during that period of time are gone, but the changes I made to the ArrayUtils library that I had added to the project earlier are still there.

It’s a real head-scratcher.

[quote=154762:@Alexei Vinidiktov]Xojo 2014r3, Mac OS X 10.10.

Xojo just crashed on me, and when I relaunched it, all my custom classes that I added to the project were gone.

There had been no unsaved changes before Xojo crashed.

Very frustrated.[/quote]
Had you run your app at all ?
If so there should be a temporary save version (we do a save before a run)

[quote=154823:@Norman Palardy]Had you run your app at all ?
If so there should be a temporary save version (we do a save before a run)[/quote]

Yes, I’d run it multiple times.

I don’t know if it’s important, but Xojo crashed while I had it running the Analyze Project command.

When Xojo crashed, I had several projects open. One of them had unsaved changes (not the one that lost its data).

When I relaunched Xojo, it only asked me if I wanted to restore one project - the one with unsaved changes, to which I agreed.

Where can I find the temporary save version?

OneDrive gives me all kinds of headaches. Use another folder for your projects. Then have a batch file run an XCopy to update your OneDrive folders. The problems with OneDrive are not limited to Xojo. It was crashing Visual Studio for me until I changed my workflow.

On the Mac, you can tie a Folder Action to an AppleScript that does the job whenever the files change.

Are your classes in a module? I found a bug last night where an exported module loses any contained classes when imported into a project… feedback 37497. Don’t know if it could be related somehow…

try opening the project with 2014r2.1 (Maybe a shot in the dark, but it doesn’t have the bug)

Which is a duplicate and is already fixed :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=154872:@Norman Palardy]Which is a duplicate and is already fixed :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]
Yes, I just saw that. Not sure why my search didn’t turn up the existing case… Yay! for the fix!