Xojo is Stalking me!

On the net :wink:

Just about everywhere I go Xojo ads pop up…

Maybe I’m wrong but seems to me seeing same ad 10 times an evening is probably counter productive.

• karen

You Google “Xojo” too much :wink:
The tracking for ads is creepy…

Stop using Google
Start using ad blockers
Keep using Xojo without feeling creeped out :wink:

It’s called “retargeting”. I haven’t a clue either what this is supposed to accomplish. As Shao said: use an adblocker. Don’t forget to use a cookie manager to periodically delete the cookies and the local storage.

Targetted ads are mostly pointless, I find.

If I buy anything on Amazon, I get ads for the same thing for weeks.
Ive BOUGHT ONE ALREADY - muppets!

Proper targetted ads would hit me with SD Cards or tripods if I bought a camera, Sunflower hearts if I google a bird table, Insurance and travel money if I googled a holiday…

Google ads targeting is extremely opaque. Note that they rarely “know” you already bought. Hence an overflow of the same thing for weeks.

Personally, as a publisher, I have all but pretty much given up on any advertisement on Google Adwords, or Bing. It is expensive, it is inefficient, it is annoying for prospects. Waste of money.

I rather spend more money on Amazon pay per click, where at least I know they won’t show the camera if it is already sold, but rather accessories, indeed.

Michel you are right.
But is the entire advertisement sector that works on selling to the advertiser rather than really help the advertiser to get new sells.

Who sells advertising spaces (on internet Google or Bing for example) promises great returns for what you pay, with a lot of numbers that no one can verify. You have to trust them.
Is the same on TV (with great higher costs)

Just as example: recently I saw within a children cartoon program an advertise about industrial forniture! I hardly believe that some children can buy expensive industrial machinery. But, for sure, they told to the advertiser that his spot has been viewed by a lot of people and so he made a winning campaign

In fact, they are selling snake oil to most customers. I am not the only one who has dumped Google and Bing, though. There is a mounting rejection from both advertisers and Internet users. The growing number of people using ad blockers attests to it.

IMHO TV comparison is valid only for very big advertisers. For smaller guys, who go more for sales than image, targeting is paramount. Google promise is that keywords will reach only customers interested in a particular keyword. Problem is, contrary to Overture who invented pay per click, Google made price bidding completely opaque, so they can in fact gauge customers to any level. On my market, one click can cost up to $6.50. Unless I sold Gucci bags, it is simply not worth it.

They are way too opaque and greedy for their own good. This will turn against them sooner or later, as more and more advertisers realize the total mess adwords and bing are. Heck, I get more results from banner ads these days.

I use Google to make searchs i developer xojo (or docs or blog…) to get information. I often found.

So now, Google knows what you don’t know, about the Xojo language :wink:

Google will have trouble understanding the query :wink:

Oddly enough targeted ads are quite effective according to the research. If you visit the Xojo site, odds are there will be a facebook tracking pixel, hence why when you then go to Facebook it will pop up a Xojo ad.

I’ve stopped worrying about these things. I actually kind of like the idea when I start marketing my SaaS and products (when? lol).

I really have issues with mobile ads that hog the page and register false clicks when youo try and hit the "x’ button but slightly miss and trigger a click. Some sites deliberately do that and to me that’s click fraud…

Google et al are trying to reduce that problem…

As someone who does marketing for a living (don’t judge me ;), I can tell you that the retargeted ads have a 600% higher conversion rate than ads run without retargeting. That is why they are so popular. It may be an ad for an item you already bought, but otherwise it would be an ad for something you have no interest in whatsoever. Of course we hope targeting in improves, because advertisers don’t want to waste money showing you ads for things you don’t care about any more than you want to see those ads.

Hence why ad blockers have become so popular

I would think it has to work otherwise companies would not use it. I see the Xojo ads pop up all the time too, even though I have already purchased. If it is pay for impression then it is costing Xojo to advertise to me who is already a customer. If it is pay per click then they are targeting people who may have searched for programming languages or maybe even competitive products which is what they would want.

It would be interesting to have Xojo give feedback on how effective they feel their ad campaigns are, which ones seem to work, which ones they tried and did not get results on. Separate from a sheer curiosity standpoint, I am sure people marketing their product made with Xojo would see value in the feedback.

Sounds like Dana should do a session at XDC :slight_smile:

Problem is, these ads increasingly tout things you precisely do not necessarily want. Therefore ad blocker becomes necessary to escape that irrelevant noise.

For advertisers, I believe it can work, but only for very big companies with big funding who don’t need rapid return, or any for that matter. Given the price structure, let us say it takes ten clicks to make a sale, one would need to have a potential net profit of at least $50 to break even with $5.00 per click. That is out of reach for most inexpensive software, and a lot of household items.

It was not like that for a long time. Google decided to go greedy, pushed bid prices higher and higher, and made pay per click largely irrelevant for large portions of potential advertisers.

I always plan on doing one and then we get so many great technical topics I end up bumping my session or keeping it as a backup. But if you all want me to do it I’d be happy to! I can definitely offer some great tips for marketing your own apps.

@Joseph Evert We do pay-per-click, not per impression.

[quote=330471:@Dana Brown]I always plan on doing one and then we get so many great technical topics I end up bumping my session or keeping it as a backup. But if you all want me to do it I’d be happy to! I can definitely offer some great tips for marketing your own apps.

@Joseph Evert We do pay-per-click, not per impression.[/quote]

How about a blog post? That would be great!

Good because otherwise I’d be costing you an absolute fortune.