Xojo IDE and Editor for Retina?

Is it possible to run Xojo IDE (esp. Editor) in Retina mode? I do not know if there is a feedback for that already and before I modify plist file, I would like to ask before.

you can change the info.plist, but there are side effects (bugs).

But for taking sharp screenshots, it’s great.

When will Xojo get Retina support, lets see…

Apple has had Cocoa since roughly 1996 and Xojo has had it since 2013 (yes, I realize it was in testing before, but full release in 2013)
Mac OS X has been 64-bit since 2007 and Xojo is still waiting on it
Apple has had the iPhone since 2007 and the App Store since 2008 and Xojo is still waiting on it (yes, it alpha testing now)
Apple has had Retina based MacBooks since 2012, so you might be waiting a while as they like to wait to see if these things are just a passing fad or not… :wink:

Um, he’s talking about the IDE.

[quote=135053:@shao sean]When will Xojo get Retina support, lets see…
Apple has had Cocoa since roughly 1996 and Xojo has had it since 2013 (yes, I realize it was in testing before, but full release in 2013)
[/quote]
Until 2007 Apple said “Carbon or Cocoa no big deal they’re PEERS”
Until they weren’t any more - surprise !

[quote=135053:@shao sean]Mac OS X has been 64-bit since 2007 and Xojo is still waiting on it
[/quote]
Apples never said - and still doesn’t say - apps MUST be 64 bit
But they HAVE been making some frameworks & API’s 64 bit only - but thats a s close to “must be 64 bit” as they’ve said

[quote=135053:@shao sean]Apple has had the iPhone since 2007 and the App Store since 2008 and Xojo is still waiting on it (yes, it alpha testing now)
[/quote]
Apple didn’t permit 3rd party tool kits until 2010

Actually most of the frameworks & framework classes work correctly in Retina - there are a handful of bugs and then there are things like Pictures where multiple versions are not automagically handled

Wrong. Apple did permit third party tool kits. It was only until the release of the iOS 4 SDK that Apple started to ban third party SDKs. Apple relaxed it’s position the same year. (2010)

How will you refute this one?

gets popcorn

Norman don’t let you draw to this discussion when sth. was obsolete or intruduced … shao was quite polemic…

Not polemic, just jesting… Another way you can look at what I originally wrote is that they are getting faster at adding new features to the framework (and Xojo can really move fast when Apple decides to change their rules)…

Cocoa support was 17 years
64-bit currently at 6 years
iOS currently at 5 years
Retina currently at 2 years

So if they release iOS next year then it will be 6 years (11 years quicker than Cocoa)… Apparently 64-bit support is next on the “to-do” list so that will be at least 7 years which is still 10 years quicker than Cocoa… To put all this in perspective, Duke Nukem Forever took 15 years…

[quote=135419:@shao sean]Not polemic, just jesting… Another way you can look at what I originally wrote is that they are getting faster at adding new features to the framework (and Xojo can really move fast when Apple decides to change their rules)…

Cocoa support was 17 years
64-bit currently at 6 years
iOS currently at 5 years
Retina currently at 2 years

So if they release iOS next year then it will be 6 years (11 years quicker than Cocoa)… Apparently 64-bit support is next on the “to-do” list so that will be at least 7 years which is still 10 years quicker than Cocoa… To put all this in perspective, Duke Nukem Forever took 15 years…[/quote]

I have often been quite critical of Xojo slow adoption of new technologies. Call it tough love, I cannot help but to reflect on Windows .NET still waiting after 12 years while VB had it back in 2002…

I am impatient as anybody else, but to be honest, I do enjoy Xojo’s philosophy of stability first. I have tried other tools that had enough rough edges or so cumbersome that they were unusable for any serious development. On the other hand, Xojo is very consistent across platforms and produces reliable results.

If I was to risk a guess out of observation, I would say that Xojo seems to produce a new framework only when cornered by contingencies. Read : Apple deciding to deprecate something. The “do not fix what is not broken approach” works admittedly fairly well. As long as Apple did not strongly suggest Cocoa, RB made every effort to have the best possible Carbon. When Apple strongly suggested to switch to Cocoa, RB quickly produced a Cocoa framework which came to fruition completely in 2013. Still today a number of developers would not hear of Cocoa because Carbon works so excellently.

When Apple brutally deprecated Quicktime, it took only about 4 months to produce a brand new Xojo without it. I’ll call that fast. And from personal experience, I can say even the beta was stable. So when they have to, they do deliver.

Now 64 bits is showing a more demanding face, and I have no doubt it will be here when needed. I am not quite sure Retina is mandatory yet. Desirable, no doubt. But since it does not equip all machines, may not be immediately mandatory. But these two items are linked to the destiny of iOS. Sixty four bits because of the need for LLVM, and Retina because all current iOS devices are using Retina. So what is learned in iOS will be applicable to Mac. And pardon me, I do not believe Autolayout should be first, since I have not observed yet iMac user rotating their device the way iPhone owners do :wink:

It is probably good business with a small team to put all efforts on current needs, to insure the most efficient use of resources.

Now is it entirely wise to stay with Win32 for Windows because Microsoft loves backward compatibility ? So far Windows 10 does not deprecate it. And the RT architecture for tablets seems to have failed.

Maybe iOS could have been faster. I do not know. Looking at what happens on the anywhere Software side (B4A), seems possible to produce an iOS basic IDE in less than 4 years. But as far as I can tell, their solution will not provide Autolayout. MInd you, Basic4Android did enable countless developers to create astounding apps in the incredibly heterogeneous Android environment. But for all the additional months Autolayout may have added to Xojo iOS, after all that is a technology Apple seems to love, so it is probably a good thing. I have no doubt that when it (soon) comes, it will be as good as what we enjoy on the other platforms. Proof will be in the pudding : I intend to try and port one of my desktop apps to iPad as soon as I can get my hands on it. Will report then.

[quote=135219:@Shane Gibbs]Wrong. Apple did permit third party tool kits. It was only until the release of the iOS 4 SDK that Apple started to ban third party SDKs. Apple relaxed it’s position the same year. (2010)

How will you refute this one?

gets popcorn[/quote]

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-releases-app-store-guidelines-enables-third-party-tools/
No third party tools until 2010

17 years for Cocoa ?
That’s such a misstatement it’s not even worth a reply

For me this thread has descended to the ridiculous
Hitting ignore

Set all trolls to ignore :wink:

Yeah, time to ignore this thread…