XOJO IDE 2015R1 Serious bug that drives me crazy

Hello All,

Can you please check on your side this issue that drives me nuts and i hope that it is not made on purpose .

So create a project, add testFields,

Add on TextField Handlers GotFocus, MouseEnter and Text change, save the project , close the project, open the project again and the GotFocus and Mouse Enter disappears like you never add it there .

Unfortunately i cannot submit a bug report but i hope it gets fixed fast.

Here you have a movie to prove what it happens . Please let me know how can i fix this and if it cannot be fixed, when it will be fixed. Thanks.

XOJO IDE 2015R1 Bug

So the only way how i made it work is to press save As and to override the project , in this way it gets saved, just to mention maybe it helps , the project it is saved as XOJO_project for versioning purposes, and it seems that it`s not the first time when i work and loose the project even if i save. it happened as well so that the project gets corrupted and looses all the resources links and i have to fix them one by one again and once you have around 300 you can imagine the time that you loose when checking them one by one even if they are all in the same folder.

Why can’t you file a bug report?

I tried this with 2015R1 Win7. Could not reproduce the problem mentioned above.

Hello Greg,

Because on the Feedback, in the case all the fields are disabled, i presume that are related to the license, mine is expired and im using the one that the client bought it for this project, im basically part of the team that works for that project .

If in case there is no restriction for filing bug reports like apple has than it would be great. So far i cannot.

Thanks.

[quote=177821:@Aurelian Negrea]Add on TextField Handlers GotFocus, MouseEnter and Text change, save the project , close the project, open the project again and the GotFocus and Mouse Enter disappears like you never add it there .

[/quote]

Mac, Windows, Linux ?

I use TextFields extensively in Mac and Windows and never had this happen. I just created a new Mac project, added a TextField, added GotFocus and MouseEnter, saved that, closed. When I reopen, lo and behold, both events are here. joost Rongen verified the same under Windows.

Your issue looks like a corrupted project. Could you create a new project with just a TextField, add the said event handlers, close it and reopen, to verify the bug really happens again ?

[quote=177835:@Michel Bujardet]Mac, Windows, Linux ?

I use TextFields extensively in Mac and Windows and never had this happen. I just created a new Mac project, added a TextField, added GotFocus and MouseEnter, saved that, closed. When I reopen, lo and behold, both events are here. joost Rongen verified the same under Windows.

Your issue looks like a corrupted project. Could you create a new project with just a TextField, add the said event handlers, close it and reopen, to verify the bug really happens again ?[/quote]

Hello Michel , it is Mac one, if lets say and lets assume that it is a corrupted project, what is the way to fix that ? im obliged to use it as a .xojo_project for versioning and unfortunately, the project gets corrupted more often in this extension but i dont have any solution for that . As i said, i`m lucky that i have it on git, and once corrupted, i have to do the work again and again and to pull from git from the latest version saved. The worst part on corruption is that is loosing the paths on the resources, and even if i put them on a dmg so that i can take them all from there, i still have to choose them one by one to fix the issue, why ? i don’t know , i remember the old RS did not had such issues.

as for the issue, i just created a new project on desktop and save it as a xojo_project add 2 text fields , added the 3 event handlers , save it , and once reopened again, it just shows GotFocus only from the 3 .

Here you go and see the proof.

Test with new blank project

I got projects corrupted in RS and even RB, but also in VB. This happens probably with any large and complex project.

Lately, the copyfiles build step stopped working in a project which by any other means worked fine. I added a build step with a voice message, did not work as well. All that seemed related to when I copied Formatted Text Control into the project, a very big and complex piece of software.

For a couple days I continued worked, trembling that it could get worse.

Until I simply deleted FTC and pasted it back in place. Nothing else, and all the sudden all build steps started working again.

If you can trace the issue to a particular move like I did, it is fairly simple. But if it were not possible, I would simply try creating a new project, then select everything in the existing one, copy and paste in the new. Sometimes it is enough to fix it. At any rate, you may try and see if the disappearing events go away.

[quote=177838:@Aurelian Negrea]as for the issue, i just created a new project on desktop and save it as a xojo_project add 2 text fields , added the 3 event handlers , save it , and once reopened again, it just shows GotFocus only from the 3 .

Here you go and see the proof.

Test with new blank project [/quote]

Aurelian, no offense, but would you be so kind to post a project instead of a movie ? I have no doubt you actually saw what you posted, but an actual project allows to check what is going on.

Ah, sorry, no problem, here you have the project . Project zip .

As for testing in the same time i created a project that is in the same zip folder and it is saved as .xojo_binary_project, no issues there, i just save it , close it and opened again and works perfect, it seems that the issue is on xojo_project format.

[quote=177840:@Michel Bujardet]I got projects corrupted in RS and even RB, but also in VB. This happens probably with any large and complex project.

Lately, the copyfiles build step stopped working in a project which by any other means worked fine. I added a build step with a voice message, did not work as well. All that seemed related to when I copied Formatted Text Control into the project, a very big and complex piece of software.

For a couple days I continued worked, trembling that it could get worse.

Until I simply deleted FTC and pasted it back in place. Nothing else, and all the sudden all build steps started working again.

If you can trace the issue to a particular move like I did, it is fairly simple. But if it were not possible, I would simply try creating a new project, then select everything in the existing one, copy and paste in the new. Sometimes it is enough to fix it. At any rate, you may try and see if the disappearing events go away.[/quote]

Well indeed i noticed that as well, the IDE works perfectly when clean, quick starts, quick stops, nicely closing and starting, once i had to put all the MBS plugins in and FTC one, it goes crazy, sometimes it crashes with no interaction from my side, i just open the project leave it there, it stays and crashes, or i just open it , i try to run it and it crashes, and most of the times it goes crazy while it is compiling the whole project, so honestly i tried as much as possible not to depend on external code, but there are some parts that i cannot skip and im obliged to use. I will try one thing, comment all the code that it is related to external plugins and then remove all the plugins from xojo and try to run it like that, if it works properly than most probably one of them is the issue, but unfortunately i dont have the time to start to debug plugins now, no offence for the developers that did that, there is great piece of software there, but i don`t get it why the framework gets unresponsive once it has all the plugins in it. Thanks again, i will try as well to remove and to put bag the FTC to see how it goes, and then all the steps that you wrote earlier.

Thanks again for your support.

Aurelian, in feedback you have to search for the problem before you create a case about it. The Create New Case option is disabled until you search.

Thanks a lot, i did not knew that but in the same time it is logical, it is working now, so what should i do in this case ? i open a case for this issue or not ?

If the bug is reproducible, YES! It can bite more people in worst ways.

[quote=177843:@Aurelian Negrea]Ah, sorry, no problem, here you have the project . Project zip .

As for testing in the same time i created a project that is in the same zip folder and it is saved as .xojo_binary_project, no issues there, i just save it , close it and opened again and works perfect, it seems that the issue is on xojo_project format.[/quote]

OK. I just verified the bug.

• Add MouseEnter and gotFocus to the TF
  • Save as Xojo_Project
  • Close
  • Load again

MouseEnter has disappeared.

Try searching in Feedback before making your report. If for some reason you could not file it, I will file the bug report for you.

[quote=177902:@Michel Bujardet]OK. I just verified the bug.

• Add MouseEnter and gotFocus to the TF
  • Save as Xojo_Project
  • Close
  • Load again

MouseEnter has disappeared.

Try searching in Feedback before making your report. If for some reason you could not file it, I will file the bug report for you.[/quote]

Thanks ,

I already submitted a bug report and it seems that it was already fixed, so waiting for updates. Thanks again.

I’d never heard of or seen this until this report
Decent report with a very reproducible set of steps & it was pretty straight forward to find & fix the culprit

Hello Guys,

Any possible update on this ? it seems that it creates more and more issues, and all happens in this xojo_project format .

Yesterday i just did a new project, created a window, put controls and code in it , than run it , test it and so on, save it and close it.

Today i`ve added one more form and i set the window as the main window on the app, again test it , save it and close it.

The funny part is that the old window disappears with all the code in it and without any reference that it was ever there, after a quick search in the project folder i get a file named “wmain.xojo_window.obsolete_20150411_212820” but i did not deleted that window i did not even remove it or move it to other parts of the project .

Can you please tell me what do i have to do in this case, i cannot just keep loosing my work and start all over again every time happens like that.

Just as reproduction steps, and i will have to test it more further to see what happens i have the following.

Create a project as xojo_project ;
add a window and set it as default window ;
save the project ;
create a new window , rename the first window to windowOld for example and new one the the old window name ;

add controls in both of the windows and than run, save , close ;

on openning, at least on my side, the first window disappears for good and luckily that i found that obsolete that has all the code in it and i just had to make copy paste and to recreate the window again.

I dont know if they are causing the same result every time or if it comes randomly, and i dont know even if it`s the same bug, i will have to check this by tomorrow once i reach home.

Thanks again and i will keep you posted with any updates.

Take care.

[quote=179896:@Aurelian Negrea]Hello Guys,

Any possible update on this ? it seems that it creates more and more issues, and all happens in this xojo_project format .
[/quote]

We can’t fix 2015r1
So this will, at soonest, be in 2015r2

[quote=179896:@Aurelian Negrea]Hello Guys,

Yesterday i just did a new project, created a window, put controls and code in it , than run it , test it and so on, save it and close it.

Today i`ve added one more form and i set the window as the main window on the app, again test it , save it and close it.

The funny part is that the old window disappears with all the code in it and without any reference that it was ever there, after a quick search in the project folder i get a file named “wmain.xojo_window.obsolete_20150411_212820” but i did not deleted that window i did not even remove it or move it to other parts of the project .

Can you please tell me what do i have to do in this case, i cannot just keep loosing my work and start all over again every time happens like that.

Just as reproduction steps, and i will have to test it more further to see what happens i have the following.

Create a project as xojo_project ;
add a window and set it as default window ;
save the project ;
create a new window , rename the first window to windowOld for example and new one the the old window name ;

add controls in both of the windows and than run, save , close ;

on openning, at least on my side, the first window disappears for good and luckily that i found that obsolete that has all the code in it and i just had to make copy paste and to recreate the window again.

I dont know if they are causing the same result every time or if it comes randomly, and i dont know even if it`s the same bug, i will have to check this by tomorrow once i reach home.

Thanks again and i will keep you posted with any updates.

Take care.[/quote]

Why don’t you simply switch to binary format as a temporary measure until the issue is fixed ?