Xojo folder structure not saving or getting created

I can’t seem to get folders to be created when I save a project in Xojo.

I had a older 2012r2.1 project.
I opened it in Xojo 2014 4.1.

I saved the project as a binary project. Made some changes to a folder structure, then
re-arranged some code and placed some code in new folders, moved some folders around.

Then I saved the project as “XML” and expected to see the new folder structure created and
have some “obsolete” files. I got a lot of obsolete files, but the folder structure I created
was not constantly created – some folders were not all of them.

Is there any reason for this?

Gary

[quote=61481:@Gary MacDougall]I can’t seem to get folders to be created when I save a project in Xojo.

I had a older 2012r2.1 project.
I opened it in Xojo 2014 4.1.

I saved the project as a binary project. Made some changes to a folder structure, then
re-arranged some code and placed some code in new folders, moved some folders around.

Then I saved the project as “XML” and expected to see the new folder structure created and
have some “obsolete” files. I got a lot of obsolete files, but the folder structure I created
was not constantly created – some folders were not all of them.

Is there any reason for this?

Gary[/quote]
Is everything internal ?
Neither binary or XML will create any other files/folders on disk which seems to be what you’re expecting
They’re self contained

I was under the impression that if I created a folder in Xojo called “classes”, and sub-folders under that called “Threads”, that the “Threads” folder would be created.

Is this something specific to Xojo and was changed since 2012?

Are you talking about creating “folders” within the IDE to group classes, methods etc together?
Folders that would show up in the left side pane?

If so, those folders do not get created on you harddrive… they exist internal to your application purely as an organzational tool for you, the developer. XOJO doesn’t create any folders automatically, with the exception of a BUILDS folder (which can be turned off in Preferences)

And best I recall … this is the way it has always worked. Since XOJO and Realstudio stores your entire source code in either a Binary or XML file (except when you store in Version Control format… then it does create folders… but not necessarily matching folders you created in the IDE)… meaning that the “folders” you see are in fact virtual, and not “real”

That’s absolutely not the behavior I’ve experienced or seen.

I was able to create folders WITHIN the IDE and have folders be created in the file system.

Only if you then make them External.

Was the default “external” in older version? Maybe in 2012 the default was external, I can’t for the life of me figure out why this is.

Text projects will do this
Not binary or XML

No, the default has never been External. Perhaps you were just in the habit of making them external in RS, but now the interface is different and that “muscle memory” isn’t doing the job any more.

This issue is closed. I was confused about XML projects vs. Text Projects. The new naming convention confused me as well.