Xojo email list

I’m quite active on the NUG and have only recently become active in the forums here. Please don’t make generalized comments.

Now days I post most questions here. If something is a big issue (like my elevated privileges one), I tend to post both places. Sometimes I get the help there sometimes here. It is both.

So in my elevated privileges issue, I received most of the help there. However, I posted the entire solution of what I ended up doing here and here only. So please making generalized references does not help.

[quote=144994:@Norman Palardy]Xojo Inc. would like to shut the NUG down.
But they won’t because there are still people who won’t / don’t use the forums and use the NUG instead.
But we’re also not expanding the NUG’s use - hence no online means to subscribe.[/quote]

Well, sadly, there was one fantastic contributor to the NUG who has left the NUG because everyone else did but he said he will never use forums.

I’m talking about Charles Yoemans. Charles has had an amazing impact on the community and I dearly miss his inputs. I wonder how many other casualties have been experienced by this lack of support for the NUG.

Your sharing is commendable.

I do not make generalized references, I voice my frustration to be left out of a mailing list I was a member of back in my long past with RB. The option taken by Xojo is ridiculous, neither here nor there.

At one point resistance to change must give precedence to the common good. When a member sectarism is so high he prefers leaving a list than continuing to help, that is unfortunate, but it can only be blamed on his own prejudice.

Charle’s use of the NUG had waned prior to the move to Xojo & the forums.
It was tied more to his decreasing use of REAL Studio & Xojo over the years as the product he was working on moved to a different development environment.
Charles has participated - albeit minimally - on these forums.

You aren’t on the NUG so you are peeved so Xojo should close it for good? And for good measure you accuse the users of being elitist?

Please Michel, really read what you have written. It comes across as not … agreeable … and sounds a lot like sour grapes and more.

For the record, I too got bootet off from the NUG by Xojo against my will (as I suspect were many), and had a hard time getting back on.

[quote=145050:@Markus Winter]You aren’t on the NUG so you are peeved so Xojo should close it for good? And for good measure you accuse the users of being elitist?

Please Michel, really read what you have written. It comes across as not … agreeable … and sounds a lot like sour grapes and more.

For the record, I too got bootet off from the NUG by Xojo against my will (as I suspect were many), and had a hard time getting back on.[/quote]

If Markus then ignore :confused:

Actually, signing off this ridiculous thread altogether. The NUG is a sad and now obscene remnant of the past best forgotten.

The great thing about the Nug is that you don’t have to follow a thread to see it as it happens. There are many conversations here where the first message doesn’t catch me enough to “Follow” it, and I have nothing to add at that moment… so I get no further emails about it. Then months later I’m searching for something and see that it was discussed here, but I missed it because I didn’t know based on the first post that there would be crucial information later on…
I REALLY wish there was an RSS option!

I always looked at both lists and forums as a “body of knowledge” work in progress. I always had Applescripts that would put all the messages into a FileMaker database. I subscribed to a lot of lists. The databases I developed were quite valuable to me and, as I said, they go back almost 20 years. Anyway, I find I don’t need that with the forum as the forums do that for me. I do miss some things about the lists but mostly it’s the people who have been hanging out there lo these many years.

Things that worked in Carbon may not work in Cocoa so old conversations may not be that useful unless you’re still writing Carbon apps. Even on Windows what worked in XP may not work in Windows 7, 8 or 10. Same for Linux.

It does experience bit rot