Xojo email list

I’ve always been an email list guy from back in the days of Compuserve Navigator but I just unsubscribed from the email list. I don’t use it, got to like the forum better, and there’s not much happening there anymore. I generally keep 3 years of messages. Interesting numbers:

2012 - 16,935 messages
2013 - 10,196 messages
2014- - 2,049 messages to date

hmmmm…

Hey - lots of stuff still goes on at the Nug. Some of us still use it and my last problem was solved there instead of here.

Why are you surprised, Duane? Xojo Inc. has had the NUG is a state of benign neglect since Xojo was released. New users can’t even find where to sign up for it anymore. I use the Forum, but I still think the NUG was a more valuable support medium.

Most people moved over to the new forum when it launched in June 2013. That’s the reason for the dramatic dropoff.

I just noticed that, despite me never unsubscribing to NUG, I haven’t got an email form it since Oct 2013. I remember trying to get back on it and Xojo just never solved the problem, despite me spending a lot of time on it - like why should I spend the time?

However, I’m not complaining because the forum works really well and I get a email for each topic. Plus everyone is over here now.

Come on, Dana. Tell the whole story. Xojo Inc. doesn’t even provide a link on their web pages to join the NUG. Unless you were there previously, you don’t even know about it. Also, as I found out, there’s no way to update your address, preferences, etc. without going through Jason. “Benign Neglect” was being generous.

@Roger Clary I was on the NUG for many many years and shortly after these new forums came out, I dropped the NUG fast and hard. And I generally prefer email lists over forums but these tend to work very well. Plus the NUG (in my personal opinion) had a few too many people that were hostile. I had to add several dozen people to my email processing rules to drop their emails.

If the NUG works for you, more power to you. It doesn’t for most of us.

Xojo Inc. would like to shut the NUG down.
But they won’t because there are still people who won’t / don’t use the forums and use the NUG instead.
But we’re also not expanding the NUG’s use - hence no online means to subscribe.

The sad thing about the NUG is that Xojo does not seem to have the courage to be upfront about it. If it is indeed replaced by this forum, please terminate it for good and stop the hypocrisy of keeping it alive for previous subscriber, with the ill-prerceived notion of a pseudo-elite having access while the peons are excluded.

If it still has enough validity to exist, please provide an open and frank way to subscribe or update informations.

At present, that list is a disgracious reminder that some have a preferential and opaque treatment. There is not even an archive of the list, which makes it even more obnoxious, with people saying “I got the answer there” but not sharing it, which implies we are not worth knowing about. It is a detestable private club instead of what it was, a New Users Group list.

Xojo should have the courage to stand one way or the other, but stop that masquerade.

[quote=144994:@Norman Palardy]Xojo Inc. would like to shut the NUG down.
But they won’t because there are still people who won’t / don’t use the forums and use the NUG instead.
But we’re also not expanding the NUG’s use - hence no online means to subscribe.[/quote]

There should at least be a decent searchable archive, so what is shared there profit all users.

I guess it’s individual perception. I noticed much more hostility here from certain people than I did when they were on the NUG. That said recently things have gotten better here that way.

I still prefer mailing lists, but practically speaking there is so much less traffic on the NUG, I feel I don’t have a real choice.

• Karen

Where in the world does that come from? I don’t think anybody sees the NUG members as an elite… They just tended to be long time customers who preferred to stay there.

I’m an email person too, but these forums are the best I’ve ever seen. I wish other email lists would move to esoTalk…

that is why I said “(in my personal opinion)” in my posting. As for the hostile people, I have over 2 dozen people in my “to hostile to allow into my inbox list” and I haven’t had to block anyone in these forums yet. Been close a few times but they either left themselves or became less bad (yes I worded that oddly on purpose).

everyone will have varying experiences on both.

sb

The attitude of people who refer to the NUG speaks for itself. This is a private club, with all the nose up attitude that comes with it. I have been a customer since 2002, had even a subscription to the NUG for a while, but since the new policy of closing it, I am excluded, and find it extremely unfair. It should definitely be closed for good.

The NUG is being mirrored at some place called Gmane.
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.realbasic.user
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.realbasic.user/cutoff=237170

[quote=145003:@Will Shank]The NUG is being mirrored at some place called Gmane.
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.realbasic.user
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.realbasic.user/cutoff=237170[/quote]

Thank you. But see, this is yet another example of misplaced hush hush privilege where only a few are privy of the information shared. Xojo does not even have the courtesy to place a link to that archive, so valuable information is there, but never to be found. This is not an honorable way to communicate.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=archive+realbasic+nug

The other things forget is that on the forums you CAN have it email you when you follow a conversation, post to it etc
It does a decent job of bridging between forum and email lists

I finally left the NUG because, in my opinion, there wasn’t anything left of value there that wasn’t also available here. You’re not missing out on anything.