Xojo crashes on Windows XP

Hi,

I just converted my RB project over into Xojo. While editing the project, trying to open a window or module to edit, Xojo randomly crashes.

This never happened in RealBasic. How do I figure out why it is crashing? I just upgraded to the Nov 12th release so I have the latest version.

-Tim

What is the crash? What is the RAM? CPU?

But we really don’t recommend using Windows XP for development with Xojo. Windows XP has a memory management bug that Xojo seems to trigger on some systems. Plus Windows XP is kinda old. :wink:

XP is officially dead as of 8 April 2014 : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

Yes, I wrote a blog post about that back in September:

http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2013/09/reminder-move-away-from-windows-xp-now.php

Since XP is not “recommended” and there seem to be issues with its use…
why is it still on the “Minimum System Requirements”… I would think
anyone running at this level would have issues not only with Xojo but anything else.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later (XP/Vista/Windows 7/8)
1 GB RAM
1.0 GHz Processor

[quote=50541:@Tim Turner]I just converted my RB project over into Xojo. While editing the project, trying to open a window or module to edit, Xojo randomly crashes.

This never happened in RealBasic. How do I figure out why it is crashing? I just upgraded to the Nov 12th release so I have the latest version.[/quote]

What version did you upgrade from?

[quote=50564:@Dave S]Since XP is not “recommended” and there seem to be issues with its use…
why is it still on the “Minimum System Requirements”… [/quote]
You can deploy built apps to XP juts it’s not recommended for development
Theres that big red box saying
Due to a memory management issue on Windows XP, you may notice that each time you run your project in the IDE, it takes longer and longer to run. Quit the IDE and relaunch it when the delay is no longer tolerable. We strongly recommend using more recent versions of Windows (Vista or later) for your development where this is not a problem. Note that this issue does not occur on applications you build for Windows XP, it is just an issue using the IDE on Windows XP.

[quote=50564:@Dave S]Since XP is not “recommended” and there seem to be issues with its use…
why is it still on the “Minimum System Requirements”[/quote]
Two reasons:

• Xojo does work on Windows XP, at least for small projects
  • Microsoft still supports XP, for at least a few more months

Of course, Windows XP is not in the “Recommended” section. I’m sure we will remove Windows XP from the Minimum section at some point in 2014.

I was previously using RealBasic 2011 r3.2 … ok don’t laugh too hard.
The upgrade to 2012 kept crashing so I stayed with the 2011 bc I just had to get my project done and was already overwhelmed.

Today Xojo has crashed again a couple of times while working in it.

I have the maximum ram and a 1TB hard drive.

For now my main desktop is this windows xp machine. I will see if I can load Xojo on a win7 laptop I have and see if that does indeed make any difference… just the smaller screen makes it harder to develop in.

The error I get is that Windows Xp has received an unhandled win32 exception from the app Xojo.exe

Is this the type of error you are seeing in these memory issues cases?

[quote=50627:@Tim Turner]I was previously using RealBasic 2011 r3.2 … ok don’t laugh too hard.
[/quote]
Laugh? I used RB2005 until 2009 and had less trouble with it than with any version since.