XOJO cloud storage requirement suggestions needed.

I am looking into whether a cloud application is a viable option for the future of my companies software. The biggest issue I am having is the amount of space in the cloud for storage. One of my users’ total storage needs is over a 100 GB and we have 90 other users with similar storage needs. The top tier for Xojo of 320gb would not be enough. I would like to use the Xojo cloud services to run this app so deploying it and maintaining it is easy. We want the software to not be tied to the user at work so the storage cannot be on the users computer. They should be able to access their data from home or anywhere with internet access, just like Quickbooks does.

How can this be done? How can I use the Xojo cloud services but store all this data separately? Can I store it on a different cloud storage site and somehow link to it? Any examples of how this could be done would be appreciated. Right now I’m just exploring but I’m excited about what going to the cloud would mean for the users. Currently the program is written for Windows desktop. Its accounting software and needs to remain secure.

We stored all our videos on a Rackspace file server and our Xojo Cloud Server app accesses them via URL. You could do the same thing for databases or possibly use AWS (Amazon Web Services). The folks at Xojo could probably give you some recommendations too. Send an email to hello@xojo.com to get them involved.

Thanks Bob! That sounds good. Does it access the videos pretty fast? I think the users would get frustrated with waiting for data to load from storage at a different site if it there are transfer lags. Do you notice any problems with the speed?

I use Wasabi for my user’s cloud files. It’s fully compatible with S3, so you can use any code or client that works with S3. And it’s very cheap.

While my clients don’t have quite the same need in regards to capacity, the desire to have a cloud-based database and file storage system that back-ends my Xojo apps has brought me to the conclusion that AWS is the way to go. I’ve spent months learning AWS and I’m not going to lie to you… it’s a rabbit hole… that leads to about a hundred other rabbit holes… I had to learn new programming languages and file formats… I had to learn about Virtual Private networks, sub-nets, roles, policies, and security groups. In the end, I’ve finally managed to figure out a decent plan that has allowed me to do what I needed. I’ve set up a secure, private API Gateway that triggers Lambda functions which, in turn, use an Aurora RDS running MySQL. It’s a completely ‘serverless’ environment that automatically scales to the needs of my clients and only bills for resources used. One of the big differences in Xojo is that, unlike normal databases, this is a RESTful API server and everything is done via URLConnection. I’ve found that this requires a completely different approach and I’m still refining mine. I’m neck deep in my first Xojo/AWS project at the moment and it still throws me a curve ball every now and then. So far, so good. It has it’s pros and cons but I believe that I’m on the right track.

I’m still using the Xojo Cloud Rackspace solution so everything is in the same facility/system. I have another client that is using Amazon database services to all 6 of their locations (fairly heavy DB traffic) and not having much of a lag. Those are desktop apps but still, from a web server with a good backbone I don’t think it will be the database connection that’s the issue.

I agree with Bob’s comments. Xojo has options available from your XojoCloud server to other services. We have a virtual network connecting our Xojocloud servers and a outside database server that Jason(jason@xojo.com) helped us get setup.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. So it’s good to know that I can use the Xojo Cloud to run the app and still connect it to some other storage service in one way or another. That was my biggest worry because 320 GB wasn’t going to work. Thanks for all your help.

I’ll contact you directly Jeff.