Xojo Cloud Hosting Prices

What does it cost to host an application on the Xojo cloud?

39 Euro or more per month. You can see it in the xojo store.

See here and click on the Xojo Cloud tab.

Great stuff, thanks.

I was hoping that Xojo would propose a X-small option (e.g. at 15 euros, for half the bandwidth) so that non-professional developers may use it. And also to test deployment as a Web application instead of a desktop one.
may be in the future…

[quote=70654:@Franck Perez]I was hoping that Xojo would propose a X-small option (e.g. at 15 euros, for half the bandwidth) so that non-professional developers may use it. And also to test deployment as a Web application instead of a desktop one.
may be in the future…[/quote]

Why not email customer service, see if they can do anything for you - no harm in asking. They say more RAM/Storage etc is available by asking - maybe less is available if you ask…

Just a thought.

[quote=70654:@Franck Perez]I was hoping that Xojo would propose a X-small option (e.g. at 15 euros, for half the bandwidth) so that non-professional developers may use it. And also to test deployment as a Web application instead of a desktop one.
The small server is the smallest configuration we have available to us.

Looking on the Xojo store page I see e.g. “Xojo Cloud Server (Small) 39€” . Single Payment? Annual? Semiannual? … Monthly? And if monthly: what about the contract period? Lifetime? From month to month??

A little bit more information about pricing would make it eventually easier clicking “place order” button .

Yes, more details would be good.
As far as I see, it’s monthly and you can quit at any time.

As the page is like it is now, I can take it as a single payment: pay 39 € and get a small cloud server (if so I would do it in this moment). There is not the smallest hint for any periodical payments. I think this is “work in progress” …

Pricing for Xojo Cloud plans is per month.

Aha now I can see it : All pricing shown is per month.

And : You’re welcome

I sympathize with you, Frank. It’s not always possible to provide something that will satisfy every person’s situation.

The bandwidth costs very, very little. Unfortunately, reducing the bandwidth would not have a meaningful impact on the price. We designed Xojo Cloud to provide the best overall value. It saves you the time and headache of setting up a server, configuring it, implementing security, setting up backups and maintaining it month after month. The total cost of ownership is actually lower with Xojo Cloud than with most other hosting options.

[quote=70897:@Geoff Perlman]I sympathize with you, Frank. It’s not always possible to provide something that will satisfy every person’s situation.

The bandwidth costs very, very little. Unfortunately, reducing the bandwidth would not have a meaningful impact on the price. We designed Xojo Cloud to provide the best overall value. It saves you the time and headache of setting up a server, configuring it, implementing security, setting up backups and maintaining it month after month. The total cost of ownership is actually lower with Xojo Cloud than with most other hosting options.[/quote]

Can you show us some prices you have seen? Most companies give 5 times more for 10 times less pricing.
Taken a way how hard it can be to setup if you don’t know where to begin (documentation says almost nothing wich helps).
It can be simple to setup once you know how it works, in wich xojo could simply help providing free information on how to do so.

Just my thoughs.

[quote=71010:@Derk Jochems]Can you show us some prices you have seen? Most companies give 5 times more for 10 times less pricing.
Taken a way how hard it can be to setup if you don’t know where to begin (documentation says almost nothing wich helps).
It can be simple to setup once you know how it works, in wich xojo could simply help providing free information on how to do so.[/quote]
Those services are aggregating. User A uses a tiny bit of bandwidth while User B uses a ton. Their data tells them that overall, that even though they are offering users a LOT of bandwidth, in the aggregate, their user base is not using all of it. Probably not even close. Once we have more data on bandwidth usage, we will be able to look at the bandwidth we offer more closely.

[quote=71010:@Derk Jochems]Can you show us some prices you have seen? Most companies give 5 times more for 10 times less pricing.
It can be simple to setup once you know how it works, in wich xojo could simply help providing free information on how to do so.

Just my thoughs.
[/quote]

They were not lying when they said that covering setup in detail of the popular hosted configurations is an impossible chore. You’re not wrong that a lot of their users can figure it out, including probably most who have used Web Edition extensively at this point.

XC is probably great for some situations. If my Dad, for example, wanted to toy around with web apps, I’d steer him to XC rather than try to do a brain dump of server knowledge on him. If he’d like to get my $12/month DreamHost VPS that on paper has 10x as much whatever as the $50 XC, he’s gonna have to invest sweat and blood and get a caffeine drip. If I do a project for a customer where XC meets its needs, the monthly hosting fee is a line item they can pay after the project is delivered. #TheirProblem. But there are a whole bunch of other situations we’re all in where we just have to balance the trade-offs, and there really is no right answer. Gonna take awhile to sort through it.

Wouldn’t it be great to have a fry 30-days periode for PRO’s ?

[quote=71010:@Derk Jochems]
It can be simple to setup once you know how it works, in wich xojo could simply help providing free information on how to do so.[/quote]
These days you really can’t go out and pull a free firewall script off the internet and expect it to protect you very well. Just passing them around makes my skin crawl because what may be a perfect fit for one person’s server may be akin to leaving your keys in your car with all of the windows rolled down and the doors unlocked in the worst part of your city. Chances are pretty good that your car would be vandalized or stolen on the first day. If it doesn’t, consider yourself lucky and then try that again day after day. That’s what having a firewall that’s not tailored your your server does for you.

The base firewall on a vps from companies like Rackspace and Amazon typically consists of: “Allow all SSH traffic”. So maybe you find the commands for opening port 80 and 443 for HTTP and HTTPS traffic, but you still have the problem of dealing with people who are trying to overload your server with a DoS or other type of attack… and that’s where things really get interesting. The Xojo Cloud firewall is definitely not something that you’ll find for free on the internet. Travis and I lock ourselves out of our servers on a regular basis just by appearing like a hacker to the servers.

FWIW, what you’re talking about here are the prices for an unmanaged server. Xojo Cloud is not unmanaged. I suggest that you look at other providers’ managed service prices and I think you’ll see that Xojo Cloud is very competitive.

Firewalls don’t stop DDoS attacks.

Firewalls are one part of an overall DDoS mitigation strategy