Xojo Cloud: Full Hosting Enviro?

Is Xojo cloud a full hosting environment, meaning are we also allowed to host a normal website as well as Xojo web apps?

You can copy regular html files to the directory above your app and they will be served by Apache just fine.

In other words, it isn’t a “full” hosting environment.

Xojo Cloud is a neat idea, but I really don’t see Xojo Cloud succeeding, especially with the likes of 1701Software( @Phillip Zedalis ) which, besides being Xojo compatible out of the box, 1701 offers a full LAMP stack. (Meaning you can run WordPress and others in the same hosting account.)

In all fairness, and being a 1701 customer myself, I do not think Xojo Cloud is in real danger from people who want to mix several kinds of page serving and engineering technologies. I have sites that started back in 1996 as HTML with later additions of Perl and then PHP, with now Xojo Web. And a bunch of files served with the help of symbolic links to reduce redundancies. This my own history and archeological layers.

Some users will never want to use HTML pages or any other programming language. For Desktop Xojo users who have no idea what an ftp client is nor SSH access, and do not feel they should retrain to put something online, Xojo Cloud is the easiest solution. One click deploy is a terrific idea, IMHO.

[quote=88029:@Michel Bujardet]In all fairness, and being a 1701 customer myself, I do not think Xojo Cloud is in real danger from people who want to mix several kinds of page serving and engineering technologies. I have sites that started back in 1996 as HTML with later additions of Perl and then PHP, with now Xojo Web. And a bunch of files served with the help of symbolic links to reduce redundancies. This my own history and archeological layers.

Some users will never want to use HTML pages or any other programming language. For Desktop Xojo users who have no idea what an ftp client is nor SSH access, and do not feel they should retrain to put something online, Xojo Cloud is the easiest solution. One click deploy is a terrific idea, IMHO.[/quote]

The One-Click is the major thing I like about Xojo Cloud. Another solution would be to use WordPress.com with a custom domain then just map a sub-domain to the app on your Xojo Cloud.

Xojo Cloud is certainly in a way too limited to Xojo WE when all cPanel solutions around let users install WordPress and other easy to use apps in one click. WordPress has for it a great flexibility, ease of updating content, user post that would be extremely difficult to mimic on Xojo apps. On top of it search engines index WordPress pages and not Xojo apps content. So you are right, in a way mixing the two would be the best of both worlds. Seems illogical to have to host WordPress on another host when it could be installed on Xojo Host, and it would be nice to have it set on the Xojo Cloud server. Now the ball is in Xojo camp if they want to follow the trend of offering a largely available and standard preconfigured blog environment such as WordPress together with XC. I am not sure they will ever do that.

If SSH and FTP where available with XC, it would be a snap to install WordPress, but would not that mere possibility in a way conflict with the intrinsic simplicity of XC use ? I have followed the numerous posts in the Web channel about the intricacies of deployment. It could be feared that providing SSH and FTP would generate exponential amounts of support requests, as users struggle again with permissions, ruin content, try to install stuff and fail, and altogether bring what is a nice and clean package back to the unpleasant state of anarchy that is admittedly the lot of WE over other hosts.

I am not in the know about Xojo decisions concerning XC evolution, but I suspect they want to keep it as simple as one click and will attempt to continue shielding users from under the hood technicalities. Let alone to avoid an explosion of support requests.