xojo cloud and databases

Hi, what databases can be run on the cloud service ?

Will, valentina run, or do I have to host that somewhere else ?

/Helge

Initially you will only be able to host SQLite databases in Xojo Cloud. You can connect to other databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.), but they will need to be hosted elsewhere.

At XDC2013 I was questioning whether Xojo should get involved in the cloud DB market. There are so many providers out there I didn’t think it would be worth it.

With my MySQL provider, Xeround, ending provision and giving their customers 2 weeks to move their databases to another vendor I’ve changed my mind!

Well, nothing compares to a local database access in speed and data transfer expenses. Accessing a near server on an local gigabit network is very different than accessing through unknown paths on the Internet (WAN). So, being able to handle LAN database demands is a very desirable feature for solution providers. Another benefit is the integration of the costs in just one bill.

We do plan to eventually provide more database support in the Xojo Cloud but for the initial release, it will be SQLite only.

That’s a good start for sure. :wink:

If I remember correctly Xojo has partnered with RackSpace to deploy Xojo Cloud. Is there any chance of getting RackSpace to setup a MySQL VPS in the same facility as to offer low-latency, gigabit connected DB access without actually involving Xojo in the process, for now? We presently have a MySQL VPS at the DreamHost facility in Herndon, VA but IP restricted, ssh, DB connectivity through the open internet isn’t necessarily the best way to go. Having one in the same facility would definitely be a big step up!

I wonder when this will go to beta?

Any update on Xojo Cloud Hosting? Are we still on for “Summer of 2013”?

If done right I think this is going to be a huge revenue stream for Xojo.

We’re working on it. Our server upgrades this spring coupled with being down an engineer has caused some delays.

[quote=26918:@Joseph E]Any update on Xojo Cloud Hosting? Are we still on for “Summer of 2013”?

If done right I think this is going to be a huge revenue stream for Xojo.[/quote]

Maybe if they were not a US based company. See…

PRISM revelations result in lost business for US cloud companies

[quote=26934:@Robert Schofield]Maybe if they were not a US based company. See…

PRISM revelations result in lost business for US cloud companies[/quote]

Certainly an interesting article and angle on how this could have a real world impact on potential business. I would imagine there are many businesses that aren’t using sensitive data that will still use it. Who knows maybe Xojo could partner with an off-shore provider to host avoid this. In the case of the major health care provider in the article, I doubt they’d be using Xojo for this anyway. But there probably are still companies worried about the US and Big Brother.

Any news?

I currently work for the government in the Netherlands and we are prohibited to store any governmental data outside the Netherlands. That includes Dropbox, Google, Amazon, iCloud etc. The recent NSA news has put extra pressure on this rule.

Well, this rule probably applies to any government on the earth.

Well this also applies to most german companies. German Finanzamt (tax and fiscal authorities) doesn’t allow coorparate data being hosted outside of germany.

After fiddling with Amazon I ended up going with 1701 Software .

[quote=8114:@Helge Tjelta]Initially you will only be able to host SQLite databases in Xojo Cloud. You can connect to other databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.), but they will need to be hosted elsewhere.
[/quote]

IF somebody need hosting for a Valentina Server, our old good friends from MacServe will be happy provide that.

Does anybody have the current status of XOJO Cloud?

It has not gone into beta yet, but it’s scheduled to with R4.