XOJO Apps and Web Browsers

For years I have been lurking silently around here as I have only goofed around with XOJO for fun despite having paid for a Pro license that I really did not make full use of. Now I am building an internal web application for my business and I decided that for a number of reasons I wanted to do it in XOJO. This is not a mission critical application, and I admit I am doing this pretty much because I feel like learning more about XOJO. I have created some small form-based web applications successfully (meaning they did what we wanted them to do) using other environments including ASP.NET (nothing fancy… just functional).

I am seeking some advice/insights regarding web application development with XOJO because I am somewhat surprised at how inconsistent my forms are appearing when they are rendered on different platforms and web browsers. Now I have always known that the “dream of the web” allowing applications to seamlessly interoperate across different platforms has always been somewhat of a pipedream in that “standards” in terms of browsers are more like “guidelines” at best.

However the variations that I am seeing with XOJO are far more drastic and inconsistent than what I have experienced in other development environments. In particular I am seeing a lot variation in terms page rendering when it comes to control position and sizes between browsers running on Windows, IOS, and the Mac. This is the case even when I use the same browser such as Chrome on all three platforms.

So my question is:

Do those of you who build web applications with XOJO create custom WebStyles and layouts for each browser/platform you are supporting? Or is there some secret sauce that I am missing? Clearly I would like to avoid this if possible. I admit I am a XOJO newbie so any guidance you have is most appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration.

I haven’t noticed that, but my current apps are pretty simple using mostly built in controls. I do have one customer that I wrote a few apps for several years ago that are used by the public. It’s been very consistent so far. Haven’t had one complaint about it that I’m aware of.

On the phone side they have an internal app that is used mostly on Android, but I did most of my development on iOS and I only had to make a couple tweaks to get it to work well on both platforms.

My general process on the desktop sites is to organize forms in container controls and then have the containers centered. The actual look of the controls is very similar, so I’m not sure I can visualize what you are seeing.

Maybe you could post some specific examples.

I am not certain why, but through a great deal of experimentation I have found that all of the layout issues disappeared when I changed the way I was specifying font size in the WebStyles I am using. Specifically, by specifying font size in terms of % or pt rather than px seemed to cure all of the control sizing and positioning issues. I am not certain if this is a voodoo cure or something that others have experienced, but hopefully this information will help somebody out there.

px is more wonky these days due to wide variations in pixel density on various screens. That could explain part of it.