Xojo app as FileHolder

Hi everyone,
Does Xojo is the right solution to built a custom knowledge base app
With only the Desktop version can i centralize data then the “client app” will retrieve it
*Does Xojo can serve for file holder ( then open it directly from Xojo app )
… like read excel on double click ( yes everyone have the excel app on their computer )
On Mac… in Domain restricted access
Thanks

WRONG.

I do not have it (and so Word) since… the last 25 or 30 years.

I have LibreOffice, but nearly never use it.

Denis… never assume that an end user does or does not have a particular software package installed… especially a PAID application like Excel. or even a free one that might have come standard with the operating system as they may have deleted it.

As Emile said… not “everyone” has Excel…

I mean everyone in the team that app is create for ( 6 person )

[quote=467386:@Denis Despres]Does Xojo can serve for file holder ( then open it directly from Xojo app )
… like read excel on double click ( yes everyone have the excel app on their computer )[/quote]
I think(?) what Denis is asking, is if a file can be associated with a Xojo built Desktop app, and gives Excel as an example (read "… like ").

Yes Denis, your app can do this by using the File Type Group Editor in the Xojo IDE, and it works best if you create your own custom file extension, e.g., *.denis, depending on what your purpose is.

If you want your app to also open Excel files, there is code and plugins available and this might be a good place to start. But if you want to change the behavior of double-clicking a *.xlsx file to open your app instead of Excel - that is also possible, but not necessarily recommended.

[quote=467386:@Denis Despres]Does Xojo is the right solution to built a custom knowledge base app
With only the Desktop version can i centralize data then the “client app” will retrieve it[/quote]

It is not impossible to build a Desktop or Console app in Xojo to act as a “server” to other Xojo Desktop apps, but I gather it is not simple (I haven’t tried it myself). I would suggest looking at Aloe, which is a lightweight Web API/Server built for Xojo or Xojo Web as alternatives to implementing the server part of your project.

If it’s a central database you want your Desktop apps to access, you could also look at cubeSQL, which I’m sure can be hosted on a desktop computer. I’ve been interested it trying this myself, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. There are also lots of other database server products available of course.

If you work as an employee for some companies, where that company supplies you with a computer, it is not unusual to have MS Office as a mandatory install. This is the case where I work. We have 20,000+ Windows 10 laptops all imaged with Office 365 and you can rely on that. So maybe Denis is building a proprietary Intranet app?

Anyway, I hope some of this helps.

Yes Scott, you’ve absolutely understood my question and answer very well to every points
The feature about the “files” is i want to be able to drag any file in my app Window
( file will be transfert to the centralize server with the database )
Then, when its available in the server ( it will appear in every Client app )
and will be ready to be open through the app by double-click
i appreciate that you’ve pointing me a lightweight multi-user database

[quote]So maybe Denis is building a proprietary Intranet app?[/quote] ho yes thats the case !!

Thank you for your constructive answer