Xojo and Windows Explorer Not Playing Nice

Not sure if this is just and issue with Windows 8 but their is a bug (which MS havent fixed) whereby if an application i.e. Xojo starts the Windows Explorer e.g when you do a build and have the open to show folder ticked after build, then Windows decides to open a new instance of Windows Explorer and when you close it, it decides to leave a stub (about 265mb) open. So every time you do a build you get another Windows Explorer (even if you have closed the previous and this one) taking up 265mb (ish). Having done a quick search on Google it would appear that this is a know issue and their are alternative ways to open a folder under Windows that will stop this from happening.

Is Xojo aware of this? Any plans to change the way it opens the folder to stop this happening as it is totally killing my PC and I am having to logoff and log back in again all the time.

If it’s a Windows bug why should developers have to fix it?

My suggestion until either party makes a workaround is to untick that checkbox, and just put your build folder in your favorites sidebar.

It’s silly things like these that make me happy to be a Mac user :slight_smile:

I totally agree with you but Microsoft are saying that developers are using the wrong way of opening a folder (or something like that) so they say developers need to fix it. I dont think the change is that big from what I could see when I did a search so it might be something that could be done quickly by Xojo Inc.

I predict Xojo Inc. will say it’s a problem caused by Microsoft (classic Dev-PingPong :smiley: )

I just tried this on Win 8.1 and each of the explorer instances created to show the build folder dies automatically about 1 min after I close the folder on my system.

Further to the above, I was building a web project and the explorer instances left around until they died after the folder close were each under 10mb on my system.

Thats odd, if you scroll all the way down task manager to Windows Processes they get left in there. I have 9 of them currently with each taking 265mb of Ram. It is a documented Windows 8.x bug if you open the shell / folder in a certain way.

Weird… For what it’s worth…
I’ve re-tested with a desktop project and, not surprisingly, I get the same results - all the new instances of explorer are about 7.5 to 8 mb and they go away after about 1 min after closing.
Xojo version is 2013r4.1 on Win 8.1, 64-bit with 12gb ram Intel i5 4-core processor.

That is odd because I now have 8 Windows Explorer’s each taking 265mb. I am using the 2014r1.1, maybe Xojo changed something between versions.

What planet do you live on? =) Although it’s not a huge part of my coding, working around OS bug/peculiarities takes a good amount of resources.

I’m an idealist but not that idealistic. If the way is made harder by others, I still have to get there, so I’ll adapt.

I would expect this should not be a big problem.
256 MB of virtual memory is not a big deal and should not even cause swapping.
The impact on real memory is probably just a few megabytes.

[quote=102177:@Christian Schmitz]I would expect this should not be a big problem.
256 MB of virtual memory is not a big deal…[/quote]

Unknown unexpected behaviors are problems, even when holding just 1Kb. If it affects more people, needs investigation.

[quote=102177:@Christian Schmitz]I would expect this should not be a big problem.
256 MB of virtual memory is not a big deal and should not even cause swapping.
The impact on real memory is probably just a few megabytes.[/quote]

Sorry but you have totally missed the point. It is taking 256mb per instance of Windows Explorer and using “physical memory” not virtual memory. So with 8 instances they are using 2GB of RAM. So add that to the amount that Xojo leaks every time I do a build and very quickly my 16GB laptop starts to feel the pinch and struggles so a log out or restart is required.