Xojo and Retina?

Hi,
Could someone please tell me if the latest version of Xojo is retinafied?

I am thinking of buying a new Retina Mac, but do not want my version of Xojo to look all blurry.

Thank you all in advance.

2013r3.1 is not retina enabled. You can of course add the NSHighResolutionCapable flag yourself to the plist, but it’s not guaranteed that anything works.

Although Xojo is not “retina enabled”, the applications it generates works fine on retina displays. That said, Xojo apps do not take full advantage of the capabilities, and it would be nice if Xojo included methods that took full advantage of the high resolution.

Can anyone tell me whether this capability is in the pipe line?

I have a Retina MacBook Pro. Yes, Xojo is not as sharp but it’s not a big deal. Having said that, I’m very much looking forward to a Retina-enabled version of Xojo!

You can already enable Xojo with an app called Retinizer.

But trust me … don’t do this because the already slow GUI will become even more slow (and thats a huge understatement). It renders Xojo more or less useless. Not sure if this can be optimised though … fingers crossed.

[quote=38818:@Richard Summers]Hi,
Could someone please tell me if the latest version of Xojo is retinafied?

I am thinking of buying a new Retina Mac, but do not want my version of Xojo to look all blurry.

Thank you all in advance.[/quote]
I use an rMBP and its fine - hopefully this one will last as long as my old MBP (about 6 years)
And it will only get better as we move forward

As Geoff already mentioned it is not sharp and looks a bit strange on a Retina (as with all other apps that are not ‘optimised’).
But it is certainly workable.

On the other hand: Making apps that are Retina ready is not that difficult. You just need to take some things in account (x2 graphics etc…).
Search for Retina here and many tricks/tips can be found.

Well, I am looking forward to the new MBPr with Intel HD5000. That should give a huge difference I guess.

BTW not sure your SSD inside the MBPr is going to last 6 years. :slight_smile:

[quote=38922:@Christoph De Vocht]You can already enable Xojo with an app called Retinizer.

But trust me … don’t do this because the already slow GUI will become even more slow (and thats a huge understatement). It renders Xojo more or less useless. Not sure if this can be optimised though … fingers crossed.[/quote]
Can’t take your word for it on this one. I used a Retinaized IDE extensively without the slightest performance difference.

XOJO Release 2013 Release 3.3 works fine with Retinizer on the latest MacBook Pro.
Everything looks crispy and sharp. The Graphical IDE Interface is always slow, with or without Retina, but it’s far from being unusable.
Working with the all blury IDE was not an option to me. Go ahead and try !

I’m finding no issues running Xojo on my MBPr, looks just as good on my non retina macs.

Best investment in hardware I’ve ever made. This is my first SSD and I’m now going round and converting all my iMacs to SSD, the massive speed increase is just amazing! The only gripe I have, they run a little hotter than my old MacBooks. Getting up to 90deg Celsius is normal when running 3D intensive apps apparently, which can be a little toasty on the lap at times.

I just tried it with 3.3 and the window chrome doesn’t draw for desktop projects. Anyone else seeing this? Other than that, it does seem to work quite well.

Obviously we could release a Retina version of Xojo. We are not doing so yet because we want to you to easily Retina-enable your projects first. Once you can do it, we will do it. We eat our own dog food.

Yepp :confused:

Just tried retinized 3.3 and sorry … .but it is still painfully slow on my new MBPr (latest model).
Just select some controls and drag it around and you know what I mean. With a non-retinize 3.3 it is also slow but certainly not as jerky when it is retinized.

I’m using Retinizer on a brand new 15" MBP with no issues.

What’s bothering me (and I don’t know how to fix it) is that the text in all of my Cocoa apps that’s I’m working on is blurry. Not sure how to make them Retina-friendly whilst debugging.

[quote=54999:@Garry Pettet]I’m using Retinizer on a brand new 15" MBP with no issues.

What’s bothering me (and I don’t know how to fix it) is that the text in all of my Cocoa apps that’s I’m working on is blurry. Not sure how to make them Retina-friendly whilst debugging.[/quote]
In a post-build script:

Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + "/""" + CurrentBuildAppName + ".app""" Call DoShellCommand("/usr/bin/defaults write " + App + "/Contents/Info ""NSHighResolutionCapable"" YES")

[quote=55011:@Thom McGrath]In a post-build script:

Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + "/""" + CurrentBuildAppName + ".app""" Call DoShellCommand("/usr/bin/defaults write " + App + "/Contents/Info ""NSHighResolutionCapable"" YES")[/quote]

Amazing! That looks like it should do the trick. I’ll test it out tomorrow (am now at work on Christmas night - boo!).

Merry Christmas Thom!

Dear Geoff,

My naive assumption is that if you want it, you can have it. Aren’t you in charge?

May the new year bring LLVM to Xojo compilation!

[quote=38926:@Christoph De Vocht]As Geoff already mentioned it is not sharp and looks a bit strange on a Retina (as with all other apps that are not ‘optimised’).
But it is certainly workable.

On the other hand: Making apps that are Retina ready is not that difficult. You just need to take some things in account (x2 graphics etc…).
Search for Retina here and many tricks/tips can be found.[/quote]
How do you set x2 Graphics ?
(in a toolbar for example)

[quote=55351:@Emile Schwarz]How do you set x2 Graphics ?
(in a toolbar for example)[/quote]
I use Ohanaware Retina Kit. You could probably do it without Retina Kit but I find it so easy to use that it’s worth the little money it costs :slight_smile:
http://www.ohanaware.com/retinakit/