Xojo 2023r2: A Review and Demo of an Android NetSuite Inventory App

Here’s a review of Xojo 2023r2, and the Android framework in particular. There’s also some info about a NetSuite inventory app that I developed with it. https://timdietrich.me/blog/xojo-2023-r2/

Great job, team Xojo!

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, Tim.

I was getting a little concerned about the Android framework. Based on what I have read in the forums, it sounds like the resources for getting up to speed with Xojo Android could be improved, but once the local development environment is in place, there is a potential to build some very useful solutions.

So far the Android framework seems pretty good. I understand there are many things missing, but I know that pretty soon it will be on par with the iOS framework.
The development speed is amazing. It took me about half a day to create the App login and password reset. Have in mind that the Authentication and Authorization are fully working (see pictures below).
Some details about the App I am building:
— This app communicates to a MongoDB backend. It uses the URLConnection to send the HTTP requests to the API.

— API was created using MongoDB Atlas service. Which provides http hooks programmed in Javascript (Node.js). You don’t have to worry about hosting a server.

— It uses JWT (JSON Web Tokens) for authentication and authorization. Which in my opinion is the best way to have a secure mobile App.

4 Likes

@Arthur_Couture I think that anytime we start developing for a new platform, there’s time needed getting familiar with it. I’m finding that developing for Android is relatively easy - and it’s Xojo that makes it that way. We can leverage the skills and experience that we’ve obtained by developing for other platforms, which makes everything so much easier. I’d describe the new platform as “comfortable” and “familiar.”

As far as getting a development environment in place, all it really took was downloading and installing Android Studio, and creating an emulator. I followed Xojo’s instructions, here: Installing and Configuring Android Studio — Xojo documentation

The emulator gets a little funky at times, but I’ve already started to get a sense of when it’s acting up. Closing other apps that are running on it, and giving it more resources, helps.

All in all, it’s been a great experience. And as I mentioned in that blog post, I think the new framework is off to a great start.

3 Likes

I have been doing some simple Android app development for internal use using XOJO
since the beginning of the internal test. I think it is great if the major factor to be concerned is on functionalities rather than UI. You can develop app at amazing speed.
Coupled with XOJO web ( web app and web service), interesting applications can be created.
For better, modern looking UI for XOJO Android app, hopefully more libraries / declares would be rolled out soon.

One of the weakest points I see with Xojo is the lack of an HTTP server. I know that some people are using Xojo Web for that purpose, but I don’t know if that is the best way to do API backends.
As a Node.js programmer, I don’t have that issue, but in my opinion it makes no sense that you can do a Mobile App in Xojo but have to use another language to do the backend.
Maybe Xojo Web is fast enough and have all of the libraries to be used as a backend service? I don’t know.