Xojo 2014 Release 3?

Nothing read about it yet ( Is it skipped like Windows 9? ).

It’s in alpha testing now. Remember that the release schedule is not calendar driven. They do roughly 4 releases a year.

The only answer you’ll get (so I’ll say it for them) is “It’s ready when it’s ready.”

My understanding was that the release is not coming every 90 days but quaterly.
Quaterly means, a new version is coming in each quarter of the year without specifying the day. Software is ready when it is ready, it’s ok but I like to be informed when expected timelines could not be hold (like my customers do).

2.1 was only released 6 weeks ago…

Yeah that is not consistent.

[quote]
Norman Palardy
Jun 11 Xojo Inc, IOS Alpha Testers XDC 2014 SOLD OUT ! Plan to be…

Folks QUARTERLY is NOT “every 90 days” - its “once per quarter” (maybe more frequently)

Read question #1

How frequently do you release updates?
Updates to Xojo are released quarterly.[/quote]

you missed Stephane’s presentation at the conference in Germany :slight_smile:

Yes, unfortunately. What did he say?

Here’s your answer @ :09:

When?

Sure it is consistent… 6 weeks ago was Aug, Aug is 3rd quarter… Today is Oct 2, 2 days into 4th quarter… so they can deliver the next release 88 days from now and still be this quarter… besides as said many times, by many people. “I’d rather have it right, than on time”

Minor releases are not considered. Version 2 was released on July 1st. There are yet no beta for version 3. A version 4 is expected in December.

It’s funny to imagine what would happen if Tim Cook goes on stage in front of all developers and says “That’s iOS 8, It’s ready when it’s ready !” .

Technically, it might have actually benefitted them, considering the issues that are having to be patched! Phones, losing the ability to make phone calls, Bluetooth functionality broken! Frankly it’s made me nervous about updating.

I know they’ll get on top of it, but it does feel like the iOS launch was rushed out far too soon!

Yes this statement may have been funny the first couple of times it was used, now it’s sounding very old. I can’t imaging saying that to my clients without having them thinking: ‘Hey, that guy may be good, but planning certainly is not one of his stong points!’

One release in each quarter may lead into:
One release on January 2nd,
One Release on June 30th (the next release)…

That is the difference betwee each 90 days (some times ago) and a quarterly release (the current behaviour).

On the other hand, Apple advertise Yosemite for this fall (that will end on December 20 and started on September 23). That does not means that Yosemite will be available on the first day of the fall…

Now, when you are waiting a new release for a specific feature (which one ?) or bug removal, whatever ellapsing number of days between two releases is far too many days !

Before speaking my mind I want to point out that I don’t mind if a release takes a little longer as long as the quality is preserved. I will probably never use the iOS version of Xojo, but still I think it is better to wait a little longer and have a decent product from the beginning. Those who need it today should choose another tool. It’s that simple, I believe. Xojo stuff are doing a great job and I am a Xojo fan. BUT:

Personally, I would change the statement about the frequency of the releases of Xojo. It seems to me that the “quarterly schedule” will not be met this year if minor releases don’t count (actually it was not met already since technically there wasn’t any realease in the second quarter, but the first day of the third quarter).

Moreover, “It’s ready when it’s ready” sounds almost insulting to me (although I know it is true, and Xojo stuff mean no disrespect when they use it, I am not saying they mean to insult us).

Why open the door to the frustrations those statements can lead to? Well, I know it must be because of commercial reasons, but they do generate frustrations among Xojo users. If we are told it’s quarterly we expect quarterly. If we are told there will be three to four major releases per year (for example), that’s what we expect, so if it’s three nobody gets frustrated.

Just my two cents.

Julen

Shows some kind of contempt, actually…

+1 ! ! !

I btch about iOS, like most everybody non ‘IOS Alpha Testers’ as we are all so far in this thread low court undistinguished animals, unworthy of any information. By the same time, Erel posts regular updates about his progress and has enough sense to keep his faithful customers informed almost day by day. Different mentality, I guess. I just wish Xojo showed a tad more compassion for the angst of developers wondering where to turn for 50% of the device market, between not that many solutions. Just to take another example, iOS 8 has broken Livecode, the new version issued this week that was supposed to fix it does not work either, and RunRev people do not even have the courtesy to participate in person in their forums. Not even to say it will be ready when it’s ready. So what has been presented by some as an easy decision for immediate needs is not. Especially when learning Martian (read C, Xamarin or Objective) is out of the question because these languages are just as amicable and cuddly as a 600 pounds grizzly.

To be fair, though, for the current platforms, the misplaced expectation that new versions should arrive with the regularity of the ocean tide is not entirely rational. Fine enough to expect the update when a particularly nasty bug or an announced new feature is in the pipe. Such as non-quicktime at the end of 2013. But seriously, when a current issue is stable and true like 2014R2.1, why scream and yell to see pretty much the same, eve, possibly worse ? Yes, in spite of the best possible alpha and beta testing, bugs remain, proof being in Feedback. So, for Windows and Web I am even considering simply bailing out and wait for striking innovation before purchasing licenses again. I did that from 2007 to 2011 with RS and was not struck by a lightning bolt at the time…

same here.

[quote=133142:@Michel Bujardet]Shows some kind of contempt, actually…

+1 ! ! !

I btch about iOS, like most everybody non ‘IOS Alpha Testers’ as we are all so far in this thread low court undistinguished animals, unworthy of any information. By the same time, Erel posts regular updates about his progress and has enough sense to keep his faithful customers informed almost day by day. Different mentality, I guess. I just wish Xojo showed a tad more compassion for the angst of developers wondering where to turn for 50% of the device market, between not that many solutions. Just to take another example, iOS 8 has broken Livecode, the new version issued this week that was supposed to fix it does not work either, and RunRev people do not even have the courtesy to participate in person in their forums. Not even to say it will be ready when it’s ready. So what has been presented by some as an easy decision for immediate needs is not. Especially when learning Martian (read C, Xamarin or Objective) is out of the question because these languages are just as amicable and cuddly as a 600 pounds grizzly.

To be fair, though, for the current platforms, the misplaced expectation that new versions should arrive with the regularity of the ocean tide is not entirely rational. Fine enough to expect the update when a particularly nasty bug or an announced new feature is in the pipe. Such as non-quicktime at the end of 2013. But seriously, when a current issue is stable and true like 2014R2.1, why scream and yell to see pretty much the same, eve, possibly worse ? Yes, in spite of the best possible alpha and beta testing, bugs remain, proof being in Feedback. So, for Windows and Web I am even considering simply bailing out and wait for striking innovation before purchasing licenses again. I did that from 2007 to 2011 with RS and was not struck by a lightning bolt at the time…[/quote]

I know what comes next!

“Thanks for your support.”

The only thing thats important to reconcile is how incredibly difficult the challenge Xojo has created for themselves. Cross platform development is not getting any easier with the rate of change increasing. I do not envy them and appreciate their efforts. They could do a better job at communicating for sure. Then they will say “well then everybody gets pissed we missed the deadline.” It’s a no win situation because if we say “hire more people” then we get “well it takes 12 months for a newbie to get onboarded to the framework.”

So instead of all this secrecy why don’t you just say what you really mean: “this sht is hard and we could use some help from the community.” Open that can of worms up to everyone. I doubt very highly that LiveCode is trembling at the thought of Xojo’s iOS release with their recent Kickstarter success. Nor is Xamarin concerned at all about a basic derivative running on iOS years after it was released… The only people they are punishing are their own customers by “hiding the bits” and segregating the haves and have-nots.

These nonstop posts with the same redundant theme screams “show us the goods” and somebody needs to take note I think. What harm could it do at this point really? Certainly not delay it.

Thinking like that will lead to no hiring at all. Fine if it is what Geoff want, but it will not put Xojo meeting faster their own goals.
Hiring someone when there is a need is what somebody who has a bad sight made.

Anticipating a (cruel) need denotes someone as wise as old King Solomon.

No, I wrote “hiring someone"; I do not wrote “hire ten thousands new employees”.

Just look at the past years how some large features slipped (for example: how many years to get Cocoa ?)

As professional developers using Xojo, how long can you wait 'till a needed (and promised) feature is released ?

Well I personally feel 64-bit should be the number one priority. iOS is pretty awesome but you HAVE to make sure your desktop app compatibility is maintained. Xojo apps on Linux only run in a few specific scenarios and now Apple is removing frameworks that are needed. I don’t believe 32-bit apps will exist in the Mac App Store beyond 2015 at this rate.