Xojo 2013R2 feature request (Build Settings in Navigator)

I’m using Xojo forum for now since I can’t use Xojo feedback (crashing)

One feature request for the build settings in the navigator.

As it is now, Xojo 2013R2 display three platforms and “This computer” in the Navigator as shown here: http://pasteboard.co/199Hp6yV.png

“This computer” is checked but non of the platforms are checked even though I’m running Xojo in windows.

So my suggestion is: Remove checkbox for “This Computer” and the Navigator only show three platforms: Linux, OS X and Windows and one of them are checked by default from that platform you are running Xojo on, plus next to the platform name you have this text in shown in bold: (Current platform) or maybe just b[/b]

Navigator Build Settings Example for windows displayed as:

Linux
OS X
Windows b[/b]

“This Computer” is a kind of meta-setting. So if you create a project on a Mac with only “This Computer” checked, it builds for Mac. Send that same project to Windows, don’t change a single thing, build, and you’ll get a Windows build.

So “This Computer” does actually serve a purpose aside from being an alias of the other settings.

The explicit “This Computer” has always been helpful for developers who build on multiple platforms from IDEs on the specific platform. Not a feature to throw away.

[quote=20626:@Thom McGrath]“This Computer” is a kind of meta-setting. So if you create a project on a Mac with only “This Computer” checked, it builds for Mac. Send that same project to Windows, don’t change a single thing, build, and you’ll get a Windows build.

So “This Computer” does actually serve a purpose aside from being an alias of the other settings.[/quote]

Okay then it could be like this

If you are building on Mac it would look like this:

Linux
OS X b[/b]
Windows

If you want to compile for more platforms, then the platforms are checked as well.

Or are there something I’m missing ?

[quote=20632:@John Hansen]Okay then it could be like this

If you are building on Mac it would look like this:

Linux
OS X b[/b]
Windows

If you want to compile for more platforms, then the platforms are checked as well.

Or are there something I’m missing ?[/quote]
How can the IDE tell wether you meant “always build for Mac” vs “build for whatever the host machine is running”?

Yes your are right. Under normal circumstances I would just expect you click on those platforms you want to compile on. Instead of having a lazy mode “This computer” in the navigator bar

Silly me :slight_smile:

Personally, I agree with you. I made the very same argument about a year ago. The feature really exists for the example projects. Which I’d guess most people don’t actually build anyway.