Xippets - Keeping You Informed...

[quote=141784:@Mike Cotrone]Christoph,

Lets be professional about this. Mike has spend countless hours providing this as a free service to the Xojo community. I am not saying that your have to love it or anything, but just show some respect for his contributions and keep those comments to yourself.[/quote]
That wasn’t how I read his question. I read it as asking Mike if something happened to cause Xippets to not come back.

Humour dear Mike … humour. Oh boy …

for i:int = 0 ; i < 100 ; i++ {
println(“Please smile Mike … please”)
}

I have a fantastic sense of humor, however I have been on the receiving side of comments like that before. Not fun.

Cheers.

Which Mike ??? I am so confuse

I think what Christoph meant to say was “is anyone still taking care of this?”, eg manage the website, the code collection, etc - or has it been abandoned?

Remember he is from Belgium, so it is easy to use the wrong expression.

Case in point.

And yes, you are :wink:

Hi Folks, Sorry I have not updated in a long while and sorry the site is not ready yet. Like with all software projects things don’t always go to plan, so I allowed www.boxedbyte.com ssl licence to expire expecting to get the new site up and running back in September, the October and now we are in November and as you said it is still brewing. I have had a bit of a hectic schedule lately hence not replying to this thread either, only noticing it today. Xippets did drift a little to the back burner but there is no way it will go to the wall, for one I have paid for the new site www.xippets.com, I have also paid for the new ssl certificate and I have also put many many hours into the new site.

Its really not far off but not far off can take a while when you are fitting it in spare time, late nights and on the train on the way to a meeting. I am still very committed but this being a spare time venture unfortunately has to take a lower priority at times. Don’t let this reflect on the quality of what is on its way though, as I said I have spent countless hours on improving the site and as you can see from the demo screen shots, I hope you will agree, it looks pretty slick.

So it will be ready when it’s ready :wink:

Keep brewing, Mike…

In the true spirit of the Xojo community yes…

One of the new categories is IOS so iOS for Xojo will need to be released first… Xippets will follow shortly after :wink:

[quote=143368:@Mike Charlesworth]In the true spirit of the Xojo community yes…

One of the new categories is IOS so iOS for Xojo will need to be released first… Xippets will follow shortly after ;)[/quote]

OK. So when that is the case, I promise to post iOS xippets :wink:

Alive? :slight_smile:

apparently there is a status page now
https://www.xippets.com/status.php

Just because Xippets seem to never go online, CodePad or Gist may be alternatives for us? :slight_smile:

Indeed. look at all the iOS repositories born since January.

While Github Gist is fine, I find it’s user interface way less friendly than Xippets used to be.

But Xippets is just a Question2Answer Installation. I don’t have any hope they will ever open Xippets for the public… So sad.

Let us admit it, Xippets is as dead as can be and Mike’s deafening silence attests of what was a a good idea definitive disappearance.

I was not aware of the origin of the site software. To me, Xippets was the result of a custom development.

Fact is, curating a snippets site is a lot of work, not unlike managing a forum. One has to verify that the snippets work and are well documented, eventually reject inappropriate content, in other words moderate the site.

CodePad looks like a very nice potential replacement for Xippets. However, Xojo is not listed in the languages they support. Have you tried asking them if they would be interested adding it ?

Not yet. But i may do. Maybe it would speed things up if more us us would ask them? :wink:

Maybe we should coordinate the action ; first we request the language to be added, then we start posting. It could be a good idea to start a new thread to count heads. I will certainly participate.

Check: Xojo Syntax Highlighting Request sent :slight_smile:

And created a first Xojo snippet: Use Mutex to allow only 1 instance of an Application

[quote=186097:@Sascha S]Check: Xojo Syntax Highlighting Request sent :slight_smile:

And created a first Xojo snippet: Use Mutex to allow only 1 instance of an Application[/quote]

Great. I just created this : http://codepad.co/s/c7f72f?status=saved to find the size of system fonts under Windows.

I also sent a message to the site manager to request Xojo to be added to the languages list.

I like how Michel tagged the codepad snippet with Xojo / RealBasic! You can Favorite snippets too!