Xippets - Keeping You Informed...

[h]Just in Case RSS was not enough[/h]
We have already added an RSS feed to the Xippets site which you can grab here RSS Feed which keeps you up to date on all Xippet activity. If you need more, we’ve added it; email notifications.
[h]Email Notifications[/h]
Simply log into the site and in your account you will find a new link called ‘Notification Settings’. It’s plain sailing from there, just select the notifications you want to receive and check your inbox.

If you haven’t already joined the Xippets community or even had a look around, check it out now at Xippets

Excellent additions Mike

I’m having trouble posting a Xippet! I’m getting a forbidden error when I submit…

Hi Jim, I can’t seem to find any issue with the site nor with your account. Can anyone else confirm this on Xippets

After pressing submit…

“Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /xippets_editor.php on this server.”

I think I’m doing everything normally…

Jim, I have done some digging in the archive logs and I can see the log for your 403 errors i.e. forbidden. They are the only 403 errors which have occurred this month. I am also able to add Xippets fine this evening and others have in December. I will investigate and let you know but at the moment very strange

Maybe try creating a new account and then creating a new xippet from that account? I just created the account the other day.

Ill do that today Jim and let you know

Jim, I created the user xippetuser and have posted no problem you can see the test posts on the site. Next port of call I will ask my hosting provider to check to see if your IP address was blocked for some reason. Failing that I can only suggest I delete your account and recreate it.

I’m at a loss to explain it. The only 403 forbidden errors that have ever been logged since I launched the site are yours and a few when I set up the RSS feed and had the wrong privileges set up on the folder. Most strange

Jim, could you post the Xippet you were trying to submit? Subject line and Xippet body as it was when you tried to post it. You can email it to me at contact@boxedbyte.com or post it here.

I got it! I turned cookies to never block in safari. I had it set to block from third parties and advertisers… maybe something to do with the auth system you have set up?

Mike,
not sure if that has been brought up before…

This is your personal project right now, on your own web site.

What happens with all our contributions if you suddenly decide not to maintain it any more, or you lose interest in Xojo to the point that you do not want to touch any of it any more. Or your website goes offline for other reasons?

Do you provide some way that lets others take over? If we invest in adding content, it would be quite disappointing if this community could lose it all at one person’s whim.

I’m bringing this up because it has happened several times before for this community already, and I, for one, won’t invest any effort unless there’s a backup plan I can believe in.

[quote=54022:@Thomas Tempelmann]Mike,
not sure if that has been brought up before…

This is your personal project right now, on your own web site.

What happens with all our contributions if you suddenly decide not to maintain it any more, or you lose interest in Xojo to the point that you do not want to touch any of it any more. Or your website goes offline for other reasons?

Do you provide some way that lets others take over? If we invest in adding content, it would be quite disappointing if this community could lose it all at one person’s whim.

I’m bringing this up because it has happened several times before for this community already, and I, for one, won’t invest any effort unless there’s a backup plan I can believe in.[/quote]

I am committed to the project and have recently purchase xippets.com to which the whole site will be moving. I am currently investing a lot of time in rewriting Xippets back end to make it even tidier and more secure. Other features are going to be added to Xippets which I believe will drive more interest and which I think are currently missing from the Xojo community. I understand your point but I guess people could have said that about sites like stack overflow etc. I expect as people see the site develop and realise how much time I am investing into it they will realise that I have the drive and motivation to make it work.

If in the very unlikely event I gave up and decided to to invest in the site anymore I would simply package all content up into an SQLite database or equivalent and put it on the site as a free download.

Hopefully it is already apparent that a lot of time has been invested on my part, without financial gain to offer a good looking and functional site. Xippets is here to stay so please don’t have any worries about investing effort in submitting content and please also do so for the many community members who are already visiting the site. The site is already receiving around 400 unique hits per day and this is with the limited content currently available. As this grows the community will grow. As new features are added I also expect growth.

I’m glad you have sorted it. Very odd, if you look at your cookies you will see there is only a sessionid cookie and twitter sets a cookie but no others. There are no third party cookies other that the twitter one. My auth system is based on the site and again sets no cookies its all done in a session.

Anyway, glad you got in and thanks for your first contribution and a very useful one. I hope you like the site and will continue to use it.

Boxedbyte.com is offline?

And something is still brewing at https://www.xippets.com/

Does anyone still care about this?

Yes, indeed…

Christoph,

Lets be professional about this. Mike has spend countless hours providing this as a free service to the Xojo community. I am not saying that your have to love it or anything, but just show some respect for his contributions and keep those comments to yourself.

I also respect Mike and his efforts to provide code to people learning the language.
I am sure there are lots of people who still care about it.

Keep up the good work Mike, if you’re listening :slight_smile: