Xippets is a go go...

@!%$($!, I hate it when I can’t edit my post, even after a reload of the page.

ont = one

[quote=47283:@Paul Sondervan]Mike,
It’s very nice.
There is ont thing that I find a bit awkward.
The view button is just above the rating system.
I’ve had a few times, when browsing on my iPad, that I accidentally rated a snippet while I was aiming for the View button.[/quote]

Paul, Thanks. I wondered when the mobile comments would start rolling it. Have you tried using it on your iPhone yet, things are even worse. I do aim to create a mobile version, which will hopefully overcome this sort of thing. In the meantime what I may do is make the subject line of the Xippet a hyperlink to view it, that way on smaller screens you don’t need to click near the rating stars. Do you think that would work for you?

[quote=47233:@Joseph Morgan]Hi Mike,

I was wondering is there a feature on xippets that allows users to opt in to receiving emails as new xippets are added? I think it be cool to be alerted when new code is available. But not all users would like it so there would have to be a way to opt out.[/quote]
Or, perhaps, an RSS feed…

Dale, even better! I suspect once the site picks up steam, there are some that would rather not receive so many emails. :slight_smile:

Would be nice not to have to log in each time, and to have the site “remember” you, like this forum does :slight_smile:

Dale, code for the RSS feed is done and tested and looks good on the testing server, I just need to upload and implement it but I will do this on the next upload as there are some big new features on the way.

Michael, I agree, I find it awkward too as I sign in the same way all users do. There are a number of security implications associated with a ‘remember me’ feature so I am looking at this at the moment but may not be in the next upload/release. I want to get it right, I am very security conscious.

Joseph, I am looking at this but as discussed when the site picks up, users may get frustrated by the emails every time a Xippet is posted. I may do a weekly or fortnightly email summary. The RSS feed is definite and I hope to have this uploaded in the next release.

I have also been asked about code uploads so users can post a zip file etc for download by other users. Again this has security implications but I am investigating this at the moment and can see the worth in having such a feature. This is on the ‘highly likely to happen’ list.

There have also been a number of comments about using Xippets on mobile devices. I am aware that the site is not optimised for mobile devices but if the demand becomes great enough this will obviously become a must. I do log into Xippets on my iPhone from time to time in the day to see what activity there has been and there are some definite issues with navigating on such a small screen. Bear with me on this, It is on the list but may take a little longer and will depend on demand.

This should help: http://thezaz.com/blog/2013/03/persistent_login_cookies.html .

Perhaps some collaboration can be done to share the 2.2GB of code and snippets between xojodevspot.com and xippets :slight_smile: its software based, although if someone could run the code server (compiled in xojo both client with built in server and web version server) a public repository would be available. We had to close the public server due to hosting costs and little support :-/. Otherwise peer-to-peer sharing and local repositories are only possible at the moment.

Matthew, I have PM you to discuss options.

Wouldn’t it be more useful to put a database for Dash online?

Christoph, Dash is limited to what it does. I like and use Dash but we have some big ideas at BoxedByte not limited just to Xippets although this is what we will be concentrating for the foreseeable future. We want to offer the code repository and we aim to make it the best resource available to Xojo developers. This is not all we have in mind and this is where Dash would limit what we want to do.

I can’t really elaborate more than that at the moment but we need the flexibility of a website and the internet to offer what we want to do.

We also like the fact that if a member wants to request a feature, we have the option of adding it. In the container of Dash, again we would be limited to providing a document and would not have the freedom we have on a website.

[quote=47597:@Mike Charlesworth]Michel Bujardet Would be nice not to have to log in each time, and to have the site “remember” you, like this forum does :slight_smile:
Michael, I agree, I find it awkward too as I sign in the same way all users do. There are a number of security implications associated with a ‘remember me’ feature so I am looking at this at the moment but may not be in the next upload/release. I want to get it right, I am very security conscious.[/quote]

I understand. Maybe you could go halfway, and remember just the username ?

Mike great work! I added a few Xippets tonight and it works great! Do you have the ability to show how many views a Xippet has had?
Thanks!

[quote=47755:@Mike Cotrone]Mike great work! I added a few Xippets tonight and it works great! Do you have the ability to show how many views a Xippet has had?
Thanks![/quote]
Thannks Mike, glad you like it. Number of views is on the next release which is nearly ready for upload and should be available by Sunday this week.