XDC2019 Open Conversation - Day 1

Talking now about the upcoming changes to the IDE. There will be a “home view” reminiscent of Real Studio’s project list. Still single window making use of tabs or navigating as you would a web site.

“Coming Soon”, so they expect it to go to beta testing “soon”.

I really hope that the new navigation still offers a quick way to hop from item to item in my projects - I spend the majority of my time editing classes and methods, not windows and controls… the way Geoff showed in the demo will be a step back in productivity for me.

API 2.0…

URLConnection is the first piece. Bezier Curves will be available on all platforms. FolderItem on the Mac has been rewritten. The Date class will inherit features from the “Xojo” framework, such as locale and DateInterval.

Paul and Travis will have a session on this later.

Tabs?

Yeah, still introduces extra clicks / extra overhead to get to the navigation pane. I like having it always available as it is now, so I can hop to a different method or class in 1 click. Less context switching for my brain, etc.

Where they deprecate the API, the documentation will be hidden (but still available) and the IDE will warn you. But overall, the impact on us should be minimal.

The new plan is to roll out API 2.0 in one shot instead of piecemeal because they have made rapid progress. Expect that “soon”.

Web Framework 2.0, and unfortunately I was typing the previous so I missed a great deal of this. Perhaps someone else can fill in this gap.

Web version of Feedback being written in Web Framework 2.0. In it’s early stages now, but @Greg O’Lone will be showing it in his Web Framework 2.0 presentation later. Goal is to replace desktop Feedback app with the web-based one eventually.

Android…

Where they are now internally.

• IDE integration
  • Running in the Android simulator
  • Running on actual hardware
  • Building (XDC 2019 app is available on the Android App Store now)

Hard parts are done, but they (“only”) need to finish implementing the framework and port the debugger. We’ll see more of this in later sessions.

Last thing…

The MBS conference will be in Cologne on Oct. 24-25.

My write up at https://www.bkeeneybriefs.com/2019/05/xdc-2019-keynote/

Thanks for that, Kem, looking forward to trying out the new IDE layout and the API 2.0 release. Hopefully some good Web 2.0 info later too.

Dr. @Ed Lindoo , professor at Regis University, starting a talk on student retention in intro to programming classes.

dont teach them html as “coding” :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Kem, Bob & Phillip

I have to say, I am missing @Norman Palardy here…

We’ll see if he wants to come to Cologne. And I hope to see a couple of you guys there!

Wants to be in Cologne isnt the question :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope you can make it Norman.