XDC2016 Open Conversation - Day 1

Discussing the new framework and the improvements that have happened.

What’s coming:

• Complete the framework for all platforms.
  • The new plugin framework is coming (announced last year).

More on plugins…

Right now, plug-ins must be written in C/C++, and don’t work for iOS. You will be able to write them in Xojo instead and support libraries written in C/C++. Can include resources like sounds or images and can be project-local. Will support the Xojo UI.

You won’t need the Plugin SDK to be updated with new releases.

The plugin is compiled to an intermediate representation (no source code is included). Protects intellectual property.

Will support console, desktop, web, and iOS on all platforms. Thinks it will be ready in Q3.

Existing plugins will be supported for the foreseeable future but the new format will be preferred.

Needs Xojo Pro.

Now talking about the IDE…

plugins will require [quote=290005:@Kem Tekinay]Needs Xojo Pro.[/quote]

this will be a sore spot for some people. They feel that they should be able to do 10000% of everything with a basic license. I dont have an issue with Plugins Authoring requiring Pro.

Tabs will work differently and closer to what Real Studio was. Each tab gives you a project editor. Double-click on an item, like a layout, and you’ll be taken to that editor. Double-click on a control and you’ll be taken to that editor. And then you can get back to the project editor when you want.

Only showed mock ups and this is subject to change.

Q4…

Talking about Declares and how they work now and the difficulties with them (foreign, hard to debug, checking availability, lack of type enforcement, etc.).

There will be a new “Interops” feature alongside Declares. Will offer auto-complete (!), no worries about SDK versions, and call them as you would any Xojo method. Will use Xojo data types and will be type-enforced, i.e., compiler will complain if you try to feed a system call the wrong type of parameter.

More Q4:

Android.

Android:

• Native code (mostly, a little bridge to Java).
  • Native controls.
  • Jellybean (v.4.1 or later, which covers about 97% of users now).

Geoff is recapping now. He should just reference this thread! :slight_smile:

Xojo turns 20 this year. Talking about what’s changed since REALbasic was released in 1998.

nothing in the windows framework… :slight_smile:

Variety of competitors in 1998 now gone (THINK C, Borland Delphi, CodeWarrior, more).

But Xojo is still here and going strong.

Entire Android framework will be written in Xojo. In fact, a lot of Xojo is written in Xojo and that’s what helps them improve it and meet the needs of their users. They are their own users.

I know @Kem Tekinay is making lots of posts to this thread… the other people at #XDC2016 can make posts here too. some of us are living through yalls fun.

We are tweeting over at - https://twitter.com/xojo.

Xojo’s staff turnover is very low, lower than industry standard for the best companies. That’s quite impressive, actually.

All this to answer the question that we get asked from time to time, “why Xojo?” Longevity, employee loyalty and passion, use their own tool to create and improve it, are just some of the answers.

Yeah, by all means, others should jump in. I’m sure I’ve missed stuff.

Geoff has just wrapped up. All in all, a good keynote, well-delivered (as always).

I would but Kem is hogging all the bandwidth

Now a session on Project Management by @Susan Fennema . Reminder, the videos of these sessions will eventually become available to everyone.