XDC2014 Open Conversation - Day 2

I’d expect this conversation to be shorter than yesterday’s, but post your notes, comments, and questions here.

Breakfast is over (a full spread that included eggs benedict and French toast), and I’m sitting in on Greg’s Introduction to Xojo Cloud at the moment. It’s going to start in 3… 2… 1…

Highlights of Xojo Cloud:

• One customer per server
  • Scalable up to 30 GB RAM
  • High security
  • Backups
  • Configurable maintenance schedule (coming soon)

Now talking about the security starting with the Adaptive Firewall.

Greg just sent a simple app to Xojo Cloud with a simple Build command. It took some time to upload (hotel Internet is not what you’d call “blazing”), but uploaded and launched in Safari without fuss. Simple.

Tip: If you need to change permissions of a folder through code on Xojo Cloud, use a Shell and chmod. FolderItem.Permissions isn’t working for folders in that environment.

Tip: You can temporarily open a port through the Firewall through XojoCloud.FirewallPort. Once opened, that port will stay open until you call close or that object goes out of scope.

You can put html or other files at the top level of your server and they will work. (No PHP, server-side Javascript, etc.) You do it through your app by uploading the files within the app, then having your code copy them into the root level.

Greg is doing some demos of opening the firewall, and showing the control panel. You can have several servers, change the nicknames of each, set up temporary or “permanent” SSL, list your apps, or delete them. You can also quit an app or restart the server.

The ability to assign a domain name to an individual app is not there yet, but is “coming”.

Wrapping up here. Up next: Travis tell us the right way to scale web apps.

Travis is telling us about testing a web app. Reviewing a service (app?) called Selenium. I’m sure to others it like saying, “he’s talking about a liquid called ‘water’,” but I’d never heard of it. Sounds interesting.

Selenium lets you set up scripts that test the different elements of your web site (or web app). You can have it fill in fields, click buttons, and check the values of various fields. It will then tell you if the value is what you expected. Neat.

That was for functionality testing. Now talking about Apache JMeter for scale testing. Some good tips here, more than I can reasonably post.

I think Travis Session would make a good Webinar so some of intricate settings he set in the selenium and the Apache Jmeter we could have video to refer to! Overall a great session!

That was part of my feedback. I’ve been using Web Edition for years and had no idea about these tools.

At Joe’s Compiler session now. At the moment, he’s explaining the behind-the-scenes workings of the compiler.

They are expecting new compiler with 64-bit, optimizations, native linkers, etc., in 2015 Q1.

New compiler will coexist with the old one. I expect this is to workaround inevitable show-stopping bugs in some projects.

A tasty, fattening lunch later (man, they do NOT skimp at XDC!), now sitting in on Paul’s “The Pragmatic Programmer”.

Paul recommends, before jumping into Xojo to start your project, to actually think about it first. It’s like he’s never met me.

It was like Paul was directly speaking to me :slight_smile:

“Perfect is the enemy of good” - Paul Lefebvre, God of Pragmatism.