XDC 2018 Session Videos As a Single Download?

FWIW the videos are priced a little lower than they have been in previous years. We have gotten a great response to them already! I will say once again that since a pass to XDC gets you into all of the sessions and events, a video pass essentially does the same thing. You get access to it all! We are really happy to be able to offer the videos to attendees and those around the world who were not able to attend.

I’m going to watch the session I didn’t attend on the treadmill!

Dana, thanks for the hard work and amazing turn around on the videos!

i don’t see why people won’t go to xdc because they only want the video’s? XDC is probably way more than that, networking, getting to know people, share ideas etc.

The video’s are knowledge being hold back from the community because of the price, it would be a waste of session speakers sharable knowledge if they only get in the hands of the few instead of the many as with almost everything in this world.

One example is apple keynote, it’s all free to view online (after the days passed).

It reminds me of an anecdote from Michel, who said that at the time he only sold a complete pack of all his fonts. I don’t remember the price, for example it was 30 dollars for 20 fonts. One day, someone wrote him that he wanted to buy only one font, so Michel offered him the font for 10 or 15 dollars. The customer bought. Since then, Michel also offers his fonts individually or in small packs. It’s working fine. That’s pragmatism.

The hardest part is to define your prices well, so that overall the profit increases, rather than decreases, while satisfying more customers.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

That is an impressive translation!

As for the videos: of course I would like them to be freely accessible for everyone. But Xojo isn‘t Apple, they are a small company, and there is a cost involved in producing the videos. I think it is ok if they also try to make a profit out of them.

The only question is the price. At $399 they are out of the price range of those that would benefit the most from them, like hobbyists and “citizen developers”. And those that ARE able to afford them and can treat them as a business expense don’t really need them, they are capable enough to do it without the videos. But it is Xojo’s prerogative to set the price as they see fit.

But the wider question is “what about the free webinars? Why don’t they tackle subjects that everyone sooner or later runs into like ‘how to print properly at high resolution’ or ‘how to create a fast scrolling custom listbox with ContainerControls and some clever logic behind it’?” … I had send Paul a whole list of subjects that I feel should be tackled, but zip. Nada. Nothing.

We are always looking for more good topics for webinars and videos and are definitely open to suggestions. You can send me over any topics you had in mind and I’d be happy to look into it!

I would consider breaking them up into two categories and sell at different price points.

1. Beginner (or beginner/intermediate) level videos valuable mostly to new users. $100
  2. Intermediate/advanced level videos valuable for all $250

New users would get important info and a taste of XDC attendance value at a reasonable price.
Veteran users would not feel like they were paying for unneeded content.

Although the combined price is lower I’d bet the total revenue would be higher.

Send you an email