Working with SCM and pulling, how to?

When working with a SCM system, git in my case, how do you typically pull? It seems that you have to first close your project, then pull, then re-open your project? Does anyone have a better workflow?

Nope, that’s exactly it. If you don’t, you run the risk of:

A. Not having the latest source in the IDE, since its all kept in memory
B. overwriting the newly fetched code with old code when you save.

[quote=15594:@Greg Olone]Nope, that’s exactly it. If you don’t, you run the risk of:

A. Not having the latest source in the IDE, since its all kept in memory
B. overwriting the newly fetched code with old code when you save.[/quote]

That’s what I was afraid of :-/

How so?

It is cumbersome and problematic. I wonder how many times I, or someone on my team, will forget to close first? It’s cumbersome in that it takes time to close a project, then re-load the project. When doing so, Xojo doesn’t seem to remember where I was last editing, so I then have to set my work environment back up, which is a distraction making me stop thinking about the problem at hand.

In all other languages I work in, changes are detected and reloaded, no problems. I was hoping there was an option I was missing somewhere in the IDE. I did notice a Revert to Saved under the file menu but it doesn’t seem to do what I was hoping, simply reload the project leaving my editing areas alone. It also only works if you have changed the project and didn’t save.

Pair programming today with my co-worker on Windows (I’m normally on OSX, he’s normally on Windows, we were working on his box today), I can add to this frustration… You have to close your project before doing a pull, and on Windows the IDE quits when you close the last project. We only ever had one project opened, so when closing that project, the entire IDE quits. We then do a git pull and have to load the IDE again, which isn’t fast, and then we have to load our project, which isn’t fast either since it is rather large.

You can stop this happening by changing the option “When closing last window” on the bottom of the General tab in options.

I thought that option was for OS X users only (which I use on OSX). On Windows, I check it and when I close my project, Xojo disappears. Testing it now, though, I do have to go to the start menu to bring Xojo back up, but it does not have the load time. The project still loads very slowly, and editing context does not restore. Although with that option, it is slightly better, it’s still something that really needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the pointer. I did know of the option, but as said, I thought it affected only OS X.

In windows you’ll see the xojo icon in the system tray.

Ah, OK. I have my system tray pretty well limited to show nothing. That makes sense. Thanks for the hint here.