Wishlist: Xojo on iPad App and/or Xojo in Web/Cloud?

Don’t understand me wrong: I know you can compile for iOS, or you can compile to a WebApp.
But my wish is the XOJO IDE as an iPad Pro App. That would be fantastic. [In the past not possible because of a missing filesystem, and not allowed to run source code in iOS.]

Or, when this is to complicated, perhaps a “Xojo IDE in the Web/Cloud”?
Since 2004 I’m using macOS only, no more Windows. But the Windows Remote Desktop is very cool at an iPad Pro. [Works much better than VNC from iOS to macOS.]
Perhaps Xojo Inc. could make a Xojo Cloud Version where the IDE is running on a Server, and you can use Windows Remote Desktop to code at the iPad Pro?
Then we had the Xojo IDE at the iPad, too - without Xojo Inc. have to code a special iOS Version of Xojo.

Just ideas for in 3 or 5 years. But would be very cool. :slight_smile:

I use Xojo on my iPad frequently, but yes it is hosted on the superior Windows platform.

It would be great a cloud version of the xojo IDE, something like code anywhere.

I created a Feedback case
<https://xojo.com/issue/49210>

[quote=345965:@Marcel Zimmer]But the Windows Remote Desktop is very cool at an iPad Pro. [Works much better than VNC from iOS to macOS.]
Perhaps Xojo Inc. could make a Xojo Cloud Version where the IDE is running on a Server, and you can use Windows Remote Desktop to code at the iPad Pro?[/quote]

Forward the RDP port to an always-on machine you control with a Xojo license, and you can have that solution today with zero effort diverted from other priorities for Xojo.

I love when you makes jokes wayne :stuck_out_tongue:

Xojo IDE on an iPad is difficult not for any technical reason, but due to Apple’s policies. Only code entered on the device may be executed, so sharing a project with a computer more-or-less becomes impossible. It seems at best, Xojo could make a kind of “playground” app useful for learning, but a full-featured IDE may not be permitted.

None of these are on anyones “to do” list any time in the foreseeable future that I’m aware of
I’m not aware they are even in the “we should think about this pile”

Getting the existing IDE in MAS is improbable because of Apple’s rules (yes we’ve looked)
iOS is even more unlikely because its rules are even more restrictive
A Web based IDE … I suppose thats theoretically possible but again unlikely

@Norman Palardy [quote]A Web based IDE … I suppose thats theoretically possible but again unlikely[/quote]

I didn’t know that this is allowed from Xojo Inc. When Xojo Inc. say “yes this ok”, than I would rent such a hosting server and make it. Would be the fastest solution; and I can choose a server in Germany, which would be faster than on in the usa.

Sounds awesome. :slight_smile:

This has nothing to do with Xojo. I’m not talking about Xojo cloud services or a web app. I mean just make your own machine available to the outside world by port forwarding from your incoming router to your computer you want to control via RDP.

Better yet use a VPN so you can appear to be on your local network.

My point is most of us would rather they spent time working on features we can’t do easily ourselves. There are many ways to access your own computer remotely and run Xojo IDE. RDP is but one (albeit it does perform well in the right environment.)

Yes, I understand that. I thought Xojo don’t like it, when I make a own server with my Xojo license. Thats the reason I thought, Xojo Inc. has to allow it.

Yes, I know VNC, Teamviewer & more. But Windows Remote Desktop from a iPad Pro works the best with a Apple Pencil.

Its not really a server. It is simply remote access by a single connection at a time, running the Xojo license for that machine. You jst aren’t sitting in front of it.

I can’t speak for Xojo, but I don’t see why the license comes into play at all. Your machine is running your license.

It is perfectly possible to move the code back and forth with other computers through iTunes file sharing

But there is a major problem with porting the IDE to iPad. Current Xojo iOS is is so limited, it would probably not be able to support more than a small portion of the current IDE project.

Understanding. Even Plugins will be difficult to solve.
I think the Remote Desktop function is the simplest and fastest way.