Windows version just doesn't want to run?

Iv’e created an app on Xojo (MAC) that works great on all MAC platforms - problem is it won’t run on Windows!
Its a password storage app. Its called PasswordID…
Iv’e created an install setup using Inno Setup - on my windows 7 laptop
Iv’e included the main exe - and all the Libs and Resources files - as well as the vc_redist.x86.exe file.
Script compiles ok and produces a PasswordIDSetup.exe file
It all seems to install OK. When I try to run I get this message:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 IS FULLY UP TO DATE !!

Here’s the Inno Script

; Script generated by the Inno Setup Script Wizard.
; SEE THE DOCUMENTATION FOR DETAILS ON CREATING INNO SETUP SCRIPT FILES!

#define MyAppName “Password ID”
#define MyAppVersion “1.0”
#define MyAppPublisher “Real-Soft”
#define MyAppURL “http://wwwreal-soft.co.uk/
#define MyAppExeName “PasswordID.exe”

[Setup]
; NOTE: The value of AppId uniquely identifies this application.
; Do not use the same AppId value in installers for other applications.
; (To generate a new GUID, click Tools | Generate GUID inside the IDE.)
AppId={{1BE3ADEB-608B-4B34-B104-85E0F414769F}
AppName={#MyAppName}
AppVersion={#MyAppVersion}
;AppVerName={#MyAppName} {#MyAppVersion}
AppPublisher={#MyAppPublisher}
AppPublisherURL={#MyAppURL}
AppSupportURL={#MyAppURL}
AppUpdatesURL={#MyAppURL}
DefaultDirName={pf}\{#MyAppName}
DisableProgramGroupPage=yes
OutputDir=C:\Users\Stuart\Desktop
OutputBaseFilename=PasswordID-Setup
Compression=lzma
SolidCompression=yes

[Languages]
Name: “english”; MessagesFile: “compiler:Default.isl”

[Tasks]
Name: “desktopicon”; Description: “{cm:CreateDesktopIcon}”; GroupDescription: “{cm:AdditionalIcons}”; Flags: unchecked

[Files]
Source: “C:\Users\Stuart\Desktop\PasswordID\PasswordID.exe”; DestDir: “{app}”; Flags: ignoreversion
Source: “C:\Users\Stuart\Desktop\PasswordID\PasswordID Libs\"; DestDir: “{app}”; Flags: ignoreversion recursesubdirs createallsubdirs
Source: "C:\Users\Stuart\Desktop\PasswordID\PasswordID Resources\
”; DestDir: “{app}”; Flags: ignoreversion recursesubdirs createallsubdirs
Source: “C:\Users\Stuart\Desktop\PasswordID\vc_redist.x86.exe”; DestDir: {tmp}
; NOTE: Don’t use “Flags: ignoreversion” on any shared system files

[Icons]
Name: “{commonprograms}\{#MyAppName}”; Filename: “{app}\{#MyAppExeName}”
Name: “{commondesktop}\{#MyAppName}”; Filename: “{app}\{#MyAppExeName}”; Tasks: desktopicon

[Run]
Filename: {tmp}\vc_redist.x86.exe; Parameters: “/install /quiet /norestart”; StatusMsg: “Installing 32-bit runtime?”; Flags: waituntilterminated
Filename: “{app}\{#MyAppExeName}”; Description: “{cm:LaunchProgram,{#StringChange(MyAppName, ‘&’, ‘&&’)}}”; Flags: nowait postinstall skipifsilent

Haven’t you read what is posted in https://forum.xojo.com/36352-windows-build-has-multiple-error-on-loading you started yesterday ?

I told you in the other thread that it was indeed probably a problem of vc reditstribuable, as described in the document /Documents/WindowsUniversalRuntime.pdf

The file your program asks for is in

/Applications/Xojo 2016 Release 3/Extras/Windows Runtime/Files/x86/

Simply have innosetup copy the content of x86 next to the exe, or the content of x64 if your app is 64 bits.

My question in the other thread is still pending. Have you tried launching the program in the IDE under Windows ?

You seem to be missing the universal runtime.

Take a look at MS KB article 2999226. It has download links for all supported Windows versions. Make sure to download the 32-bit version if your application is 32-bit, and 64-bit if your application is 64-bit.

No need to download. The necessary files and installers are already part of the Xojo package, if only one makes the effort to RTFM :stuck_out_tongue:

indeed. it is included with the IDE install. I answered while eating lunch at work. lack of concentration is evident.

We have not heard the end of this topic anyway :wink: I expect to see it regularly come back …

[quote=297356:@Michel Bujardet]Haven’t you read what is posted in https://forum.xojo.com/36352-windows-build-has-multiple-error-on-loading you started yesterday ?

I told you in the other thread that it was indeed probably a problem of vc reditstribuable, as described in the document /Documents/WindowsUniversalRuntime.pdf

The file your program asks for is in

/Applications/Xojo 2016 Release 3/Extras/Windows Runtime/Files/x86/

Simply have innosetup copy the content of x86 next to the exe, or the content of x64 if your app is 64 bits.

My question in the other thread is still pending. Have you tried launching the program in the IDE under Windows ?[/quote]

Done that Michel - All files now installed including all (x86) and are copied to the necessary install folder in Windows.
Im running the 32bit version.
Now there any over 200 Runtime errors…concerning pluggins ?? - by the way I havn’nt used any 3rd party pluggins just the standard xojo controls. HERES A FEW:

cant find plugin method BevelButton.DeleteAllRows
cant find plugin method BevelButton.AddRow(text as String)
cant find plugin method UpDownArrows.AcceptFocus.Set
cant find plugin method Placard.Value.Get
cant find plugin method PopupArrow.Facing.Get
cant find plugin method PopupArrow.Facing.Set
cant find plugin method DisclosureTriangle.Value.Get
cant find plugin method ImageWell.Image.Get
cant find plugin method MD5(data As String) As String
cant find plugin method SQLite.Connection.Close()
etc etc etc…

As you can see all the files have been installed correctly…

Have you copied all the DLLs in the same folder as your exe file ? They should not be placed in lib, right ?

The first picture you posted is very specific about a dll I know is part of the vc runtime. As for the errors you get, they probably come from the lack of DLL, but have no special significance, and they don’t help.

You still have not answered the question : have you tried to run the project in the Windows IDE ? What happens ?

[quote=297372:@Michel Bujardet]Have you copied all the DLLs in the same folder as your exe file ? They should not be placed in lib, right ?

The first picture you posted is very specific about a dll I know is part of the vc runtime. As for the errors you get, they probably come from the lack of DLL, but have no special significance, and they don’t help.

You still have not answered the question : have you tried to run the project in the Windows IDE ? What happens ?[/quote]

I don’t know what you mean? In the Windows IDE?
Iv’e created the app on Xojo on the MAC - then done a Build for windows - and am testing the build on my Windows Laptop running Win 7 which is fully up to date.

are your Mac and Win Laptop both connected to you local LAN?
if so, set up remote debugging on both… and you can RUN the app FROM your MAC and it appears on the desktop

you will need to download (if you haven’t already) Xojo (free version) to the Laptop, and execute the remote debugger (its in one of the folders)

I do this all the time… I develope on an iMac, and remote debug Windows versions to an old MacPro running Win10

[quote=297374:@Stuart Sykes]I don’t know what you mean? In the Windows IDE?
Iv’e created the app on Xojo on the MAC - then done a Build for windows - and am testing the build on my Windows Laptop running Win 7 which is fully up to date.[/quote]

What I mean is : just install Xojo on your Windows laptop, and run the project there. It will give you all the debug capacities of the IDE in case something is missing. And the IDE has already installed all the VC runtime, so it should work right away.

And, this is just me, but I would never expect something developed exclusively on Mac to look perfect on Windows without some tuning on the target platform.

You have a folder like this:

there you put all that runtimes in, not in the libs folder :wink:

OK … Iv’e downloaded the up to date version of Xojo (2016r3) to my Windows laptop running Windows 7
Seemed to install fine - UNTIL I RAN IT
SAME ERROR as the one at the top of the conversation…
Then…Runtime Error
Failed to locate Framework DLL

I know 2016R3 is compatible with Windows 7, but you may need to install a service pack. See the requirements page at Xojo.com.

I had the same problem on a windows 8 computer. Installation of the universal runtime distributable would fail. I tried everything including a system refresh (ouch very painful). Finally after upgrading to windows 10 the problem went away. I had another customer with a windows 7 machine that had the same problem. For this reason I went back to R15.1. That version seams to work fine. Note that on the problem machines XOJO itself fails to run. I spent many hours pulling my hair out till I figured it out.

Indeed 2015R4.1 is more versatile. The apps I have in the Windows Store have been created with it.

Problem is, it does not support HiDPI.

I’ve seen this on a few random Windows computers, including servers. Fix was to install the Visual C++ Redistributable which you can download from Microsoft. I’m not sure why this happens - not an issue on most computers.

Why can’t necessary dll’s be included with the build, to make it run on all (currently supported) versions of windows?
Or maybe they can be and I just don’t know how.

There’s not much that is more frustrating that updating a client to a newer version of a program, only to have them not able to use it.

They can, but you won’t get the ability to get Microsoft security updates to them.

See:
http://developer.xojo.com/windows-universal-runtime

Thanks