Windows User Can't Read/Write

I just received a desperate bug report from one of my Windows users, and the only advice I could offer was to check permissions. if anyone has other suggestions, I’d appreciate ideas!

Here’s the bug report (LW6 is my app that she’s running):

[quote]I recently got my computer back from a hardware repair. They said that they updated the BIOS and firmware in addition to the repair, but I didn’t get any details beyond that. Now, I can’t open or save ANY file. Each time I try to open an existing file, I get the error message “File could not be opened!” and then LW closes/crashes. If I try to save a file, I get the message, “File was NOT saved!” but it doesn’t crash the program. I tried creating a new test file from scratch and get the same 'File was NOT saved!" problem.

So far I’ve tried updating LW6, reinstalling it, and restarting the computer, and installing recommended updates from Windows. Running Windows 10 version 1803, OS build 17134.950.[/quote]

What location are they trying to load/save from, have they tried a different location that you know has permission, like the desktop?
To work out of they have access to that location, if they try to save/load a file from notepad next to the file they have issues loading/saving does that work?
Does your app use temp storage that they no longer have access to?
When they run your app, open task manager, go to the details tab and find your app, does it share the same username in the username column they are logged in with?
If they look in C:\Users are there two folders in there with similar usernames?
Create a new user and install / try it on that.

[quote=450852:@JulianS]What location are they trying to load/save from, have they tried a different location that you know has permission, like the desktop?
To work out of they have access to that location, if they try to save/load a file from notepad next to the file they have issues loading/saving does that work?
Does your app use temp storage that they no longer have access to?
When they run your app, open task manager, go to the details tab and find your app, does it share the same username in the username column they are logged in with?
If they look in C:\Users are there two folders in there with similar usernames?
Create a new user and install / try it on that.[/quote]

These are all good ideas, I’ll suggest them to the user.

Thank you!

Does your app create a file in TEMP then copy to the chosen location?
There have been reports of specialfolder.temporary not being present.

There are some windows machines that don’t seem to have a specialfolder.documents available to the user, or access to the C: drive

In cases where iCloud or OneDrive are set up for full synchronisation, there can be problems which seem to relate to transfers beginning while the file is being created.

Is the user trying to save files in the program files/myapp folder? (not allowed)

And where in your app does the ‘File is NOT saved’ happen? What specific conditions is it testing?

LOL… when I saw this headline, I thought you were referring to the level of literacy of most Windows Users :slight_smile: