Windows to linux

Any Windows to Linux converts that would share their experiences? Any deal breakers. How is XOJO on Linux compared to Window’s?

Now that I am retired and don’t need to use Windows any longer, I would like to see if I can live without it. I played around with Linux years ago. I know Linux is a little more keyboard work, which at that time was a turn off for me, not sure why coming from DOS, but I think I can overcome that.

I am very concerned about Window’s integration of AI. I hope Linux is not moving in that direction and there will always be a build that is AI free.

I fall in the category of some Windows and some Linux, and there has been some definite shifts in the way to think. These are not good or bad, just different. Much of my Linux experience is with Ubuntu (server) and Raspberry Pi OS (electronics). Ubuntu seems to feel more natural to the Windows user, although there are MANY different types of Linux to choose from. My suggestion is to stay with a Linux distribution that has many years of updates and has seen many years of upgrades. Installing a new and shiny distribution of Linux is great, until I find out that it is no longer supported.

There is going to be a significant learning curve on the way that files and folders are handled in the Linux world. Permissions, sudo, and binary (executables) are going to be one of the first aspects to learn. The other is that there are many libraries which are not installed by default. Having the basic library set is great because the computer will run faster. Trying to hunt down the correct library to install can also be challenging. There are many good people which will provide good advice on your journey to learn Linux.

Programming libraries for Linux are mostly free, and the added bonus is that you can dive into servers for free. There definitely is favouritism for the terminal on Linux, and opensource is very common. This helps keep capital costs down. There are many other points that can be added, and this is just an introduction.

Enjoy your journey!

I’ll put in an endorsement for Ubuntu Desktop, with our standard reminder that the Xorg Window Manager is a must for running the Xojo IDE on Linux (Xojo does not work with Wayland). Ubuntu has a broad user base and there are a lot of online guides for folks that are transitioning from the Windows world. You can actually get a lot more done in the GUI at this point, and if you need to access a command line terminal there are a lot of resources to help you out.

The Xojo IDE works pretty well on Ubuntu Desktop, and the executables are very stable. We develop a lot of Web Apps on Windows, but build for (and deploy on) Ubuntu. We are starting the transition to Ubuntu desktop for more of our daily tasks, as Windows 11 has too much “foistware” on it for our tastes.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips and advice. That will make my transition much smoother.