Windows Store sign up

It is necessary to supply a link to an app in the submission form. So it seems necessary to have at least a working app, as simple as it may be.

In my case I just gave them my web site URL. The MS rep had already downloaded, converted and approved (for inclusion) one of my Xojo apps before he contacted me!

Lucky you… I had to teach my rep how to install the dependency …

I just got an email from MS saying I need to add a Privacy statement on my web site, since one of my apps collects user data (reads lists of file names), so this should be added to the list of steps.

Indeed, a privacy statement on the web site is required. Back in 2013 when I placed native apps in there, they also required the privacy statement be part of the app.

Mine is ultra simple :

PRIVACY STATEMENT

We believe in the strict right to privacy. In other words, your information is your own, and you are entitled to expect others to respect it as your private property.

We do not collect any information about you, and do not use tracking software such as cookies or other technical means.

Servers automatically record IP addresses of computers connecting to them to be able to deliver pages, but none of this information is used for any tracking operation.

We strictly forbid ourselves to collect, record or otherwise process any private data belonging to our visitors without their expressed consent.

Match Software

Note that this is not unusual : this is also required in the Mac App Store and iTunes.

Thank you Michel, that is helpful.

Where in the app should the privacy statement be place? Possibly in an About window or something similar?

Below is the latest update of the Get App In Windows Store document:
GetAppInWindowsStore Version 1.3 update

I hope to have a simple application ready soon to start the next steps of my application submission. All of the information in this forum is very helpful, thanks for sharing!

At the time, back in 2013, the Privacy statement had to be placed on the charm bar (R.I.P.). I have not seen the same requirement recently, though.

I have no link to the my new Privacy statement inside my app, but have a link on my Windows Store app page to my web site privacy page, and this was accepted by the MS Store reviewers.

After following one of the forum conversations on License Systems, it seems like the Windows Store will probably not accept an application that requires a license. Is this true?

I would assume that is correct. Most AppStores expect that they are the only licensing body for your app. If you have the same app on your web site outside any AppStore then you can license it as much as you want.

Most stores offer discounts for bulk or educational purchases — best to let them handle it.

Indeed. Neither does the Mac App Store or Google’s Play Store.

As David says, nothing prevents use of a licensing scheme on the author’s site. But I am sorry to say the more it goes, the less business I do direct, as compared to app stores.

Application has been created and I’m going through the next stage. The first three areas for submission (Pricing and availability, Properties, Age ratings) all went well. Package submission seems to be more - challenging …

I am getting three errors:

Package acceptance validation error: The PublisherDisplayName element in the app manifest of WellInjectEstimator.appx is CN=Eugene Dakin, which doesn't match your publisher display name: Eugene Dakin. Package acceptance validation error: You don't have permissions to specify the following namespaces in the appx manifest file of the package WellInjectEstimator.appx: http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10/restrictedcapabilities Package acceptance validation error: Your developer account doesn’t have permission to submit apps converted with the Desktop Bridge at this time. https://aka.ms/desktopbridgeforwindowsstore

-When using the DesktopAppConverter, it requires the -Publisher CN=“Eugene Dakin” parameter. I tried without CN= and also included -Publisher “CN=Eugene Dakin” and the CN= is required. Shrug
-the link to http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10/restrictedcapabilities does not work, and I’ll try and see what this means in an internet search.

Patience is a virtue :slight_smile:

Indeed the CN is required for the Desktop App Converter.

That Appx is reserved for testing purposes.

When comes time to upload, you must:

• modify the manifest in the PackageFiles folder according to App overview/View app Identity details
  • Create a new unsigned package with MakeAppx
    That is the package you upload.

I don’t think the dead link is applicable to our converted apps, which have full capabilities anyway.

I am sure you will get news from your Microsoft rep very soon.

When you do, make sure to pass him the test app together with your self signed certificate, so he can see how it works in order to vet it.

Just had some emails with the Microsoft representative and I have built a webpage with information about the application and the privacy statement: App and Privacy Statement Website.

The instructions for submitting an app to the store have been updated, and I hope the approval is getting closer :slight_smile:
GetAppInWindowsStore-v4

I can’t believe that there are this many steps to submit an app to the Microsoft store. Wow…

Yes, it’s a pretty long process.

One thing I’ve noticed is that just to add a new promotional pricing would require the Windows Store Certification all over again. Something which would have taken a couple of hours to update on the Mac App Store would take about 3 to 4 days to get done.

[quote=303482:@Eugene Dakin]Just had some emails with the Microsoft representative and I have built a webpage with information about the application and the privacy statement: App and Privacy Statement Website.

The instructions for submitting an app to the store have been updated, and I hope the approval is getting closer :slight_smile:
GetAppInWindowsStore-v4

I can’t believe that there are this many steps to submit an app to the Microsoft store. Wow…[/quote]

Well, once one has the workflow it is easier. But indeed, it is a bit overwhelming. The Msdn forum has quite a few people lost.

I did it, certification takes 4-5 hours tops.

It looks like my application is in the final steps of submission certification to the Microsoft Store and below is the updated steps for version 5 of the document to build and submit a Xojo application to the store.

GetAppInWindowsStore-v5

I’ll update this post once the Xojo application has been officially placed in the store. Many thanks to Michel and David for sharing their information on this process so that I can document this for other Xojo users.

Its official, the application Well Injection Estimator is listed in the Microsoft Store that has been created with an X86 Xojo application using version 5 of the GetAppInWindowsStore-v5 link in the above post.

Once your program has been accepted in the Windows Store, feel free to post a link about your program in the Xojo Apps in the Windows Store conversation.

I just signed up as a Microsoft developer and I’m looking through documentation on submitting apps. This thread was helpful. Apps that I’m currently selling outside of the Mac app store require a registration key, something that is not allowed in apps that are sold in the MAS. Does the Windows app store work essentially the same way as the Mac app store?