Windows Start Bar and Xojo

Does anyone else have issues with Windows apps created by Xojo causing the Windows start bar not to function correctly. On Windows 7 all I get is the start button and the rest of the menu doesn’t display correctly until I close Xojo / the App I was running. I’ve verified this on other Windows 7 and XP machines.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Hi Dwane

Yep, I see something similar. When I’m debugging I lose the whole task bar until the debug run is stopped… If you close using the close button then xojo will not return the task bar until the black button is pressed and the debugger stopped. In some cases I’ve had to invoke task manager to switch back to xojo. I just thought it was my rubbish code…

Did you, by chance, set the Window.MenuBarIsVisible to false ?

Definitely not. Didn’t know the command existed until now!!

I’m not seeing any issues on Win 7, 64 bit Home Premium.

If you select your window in the IDE and go to the bottom of the inspector, the “menu bar visible” option toggles this functionality.

It happens on win7 pro 64 bit and win7 ultimate 32 bit for me. But I assumed it was just my code

That was the problem. I didn’t consider that hiding the application’s menu bar would make the start menu not work too. I just set the windows menubar to none and menu bar visible to true and it works properly. I would think this issue would be a bug in my opinion.

Thanks for the info.

@[deleted] - I’ll check that out tomorrow - thanks for the tip. It’s entirely possible having done similar with explicit instances (or is it implicit) button

I am not seeing this either (Windows 7 64-bit Pro) but I have seen it happen with the Menu Bar visible toggle, so I know what it looks like.

[quote=19561:@Dwane Malotte]That was the problem. I didn’t consider that hiding the application’s menu bar would make the start menu not work too. I just set the windows menubar to none and menu bar visible to true and it works properly. I would think this issue would be a bug in my opinion.
[/quote]
It’s pretty clearly documented that that’s what it’s for. Granted, it’s an unfortunate choice of name, but it originated on the Mac, where the menubar is part of the global UI.

The MenuBarIsVisible window attribute is also what I meant in my earlier reply.

It’s a terribly unfortunate choice of name - it tripped me up as well just recently and I only figured it out when searching the old RS forums. Xojo should consider renaming that option to something clearer and maybe move the option in Mac attribute section because as it stands it’s completely misleading and frankly I’m not sure why anyone would ever want the current behaviour under Windows. It’s completely goofy.

yep…problem solved. Have to admit I thought “Menu Bar Visible” was relevant to that particular xojo window seemed intuitive so did not read about it in the docs - perhaps this is why when closing the offending window and opening another brought the task bar back occasionally (not always)…still it has solved some mysteries for me and my code was ok all along!

Warning: if you set Window.MenuBarVisible = false, and your app crashes, the menu bar will never come back. Very bad for end-users, as getting it back is not easy.

Yep - that one caught me out too! Very glad that this thread helped me solve the issue of the “Windows Missing Task Bar”!!