Windows Standalone Performance Issues

Just deployed at standalone web app to a Windows 2012 server 64 bit with 8 GB of installed RAM in standalone mode. Performance is abysmal but yet when run on a Mac or Linux server in standalone or cgi it’s pretty zippy. I’ve watched the app and at best it’s been taking 25% of the processor and memory isn’t all that much.

a) Is this a common experience with Windows web apps?
b) Is there something I can do to speed up performance?
c) I’m using a MySQL DB server on the same machine. Lists from views seems to be particular slow. Should I be looking at something on the DB side for optimization?

Many thanks!

I install my WebApps as standalone across all three with access to Postgres databases using SQLDatabaseMBS. I find Linux the fastest, then Mac then Windows, but I would not describe the difference bet Windows and the others as abysmal. I assume Windows is slower on my client PCs because I often install it on servers performing other tasks.

[quote=186920:@Bob Keeney]Just deployed at standalone web app to a Windows 2012 server 64 bit with 8 GB of installed RAM in standalone mode. Performance is abysmal but yet when run on a Mac or Linux server in standalone or cgi it’s pretty zippy. I’ve watched the app and at best it’s been taking 25% of the processor and memory isn’t all that much.

a) Is this a common experience with Windows web apps?
b) Is there something I can do to speed up performance?
c) I’m using a MySQL DB server on the same machine. Lists from views seems to be particular slow. Should I be looking at something on the DB side for optimization?[/quote]

Antivirus side effect ?

The one time performance for me was abysmal was on a Windows VM with only one virtual CPU. I thought this strange since Xojo only uses one CPU, but when we change the VM to 4 CPUs the WebApp ran much faster. So, are you running on a Windows VM?

Update on this. It was indeed a VM issue. The hosting company only had one virtual CPU dedicated to the machine. Performance of the entire server was awful. Their original spec called for 2 CPU’s so we held them to it and yesterday they upgraded the VM to do that.

Performance is now very zippy with 2 CPU’s and obviously we can upgrade to more CPU’s if we need.

Thanks for the bandwidth!

This was reported quite some time ago, really seems like they should fix it:
<https://xojo.com/issue/30328>
and
<https://xojo.com/issue/30159>
and
<https://xojo.com/issue/29678>

None of them exactly what I was seeing but probably all contributed to the issue, but thanks for sharing.

I should be clear about this: the entire VM had performance issues - not just our Xojo web app. You would double click on something (even when the app wasn’t running) and it would take seconds for the server to react. Those issues went away after they upgraded.

[quote=187378:@Bob Keeney]None of them exactly what I was seeing but probably all contributed to the issue, but thanks for sharing.

I should be clear about this: the entire VM had performance issues - not just our Xojo web app. You would double click on something (even when the app wasn’t running) and it would take seconds for the server to react. Those issues went away after they upgraded.[/quote]

At least under VirtualBox and VMWare, I can attest that one virtual CPU is extremely sluggish. In practice unusable, with all programs, not just Xojo. Worse, on my iMac 2011 with 8GB, the VM slows down the host as well. Seems this kind of software is extremely demanding in resources. In practice, when running Windows, I cannot run the same tasks I use to on the Mac.