Windows Applications and WinPE

Has anyone here tested Xojo compiled applications in WinPE? Although VB6 compiled apps work without issue, xojo customer support isn’t sure and it isn’t apparently supported as an execution environment.

Can anyone here shed any light on their experiences down this path?

WinPE is extremely limited, and does not run recent applications. VB6 probably runs because it was conceived in the Windows XP era. Chances are the most recent Xojo generated applications won’t run, but older RB versions will.

More info on WinPE is here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ff794946%28v=winembedded.60%29?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If i had to bet, I would say it works…

I just created a bootable WinPE drive using Microsoft instructions at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825109.aspx

Upon launch, it displays the command line.

I was not able to launch console or GUI apps made with the latest Xojo.

All I get is “The subsystem needed to support the image is not present.”

I believe that the missing subsystem is WoW64, which is what allows 32-bit apps to run under a 64-bit edition of Windows.

Andrew could well be correct -you certainly need to match your application architecture to the WinPE architecture. This means you can only run 64-bit compiled applications on 64-bit WinPE.

This is why I’ve been eagerly awaiting the a release of Xojo that can compile 64-bit Windows apps -32bit apps can’t load by design in a 64-bit WinPE environment.

Michel, could you confirm whether this is the situation for us?

64Bit only WinPE? Come on… take a 32Bit Win7 PE and you have 32Bit only…

[quote=217798:@Ian Atkin]Andrew could well be correct -you certainly need to match your application architecture to the WinPE architecture. This means you can only run 64-bit compiled applications on 64-bit WinPE.

This is why I’ve been eagerly awaiting the a release of Xojo that can compile 64-bit Windows apps -32bit apps can’t load by design in a 64-bit WinPE environment.

Michel, could you confirm whether this is the situation for us?[/quote]

Good news : Under WinPE 64 bit I was able to run a Xojo 64 bit executable just fine. Just a bit of patience, until 2015R3 is available.

A run off the mill VB6 executable no longer works in WinPE64 bit.

It definitely looks as if 32 bit support is lacking from WinPE 64 bit.

That would require some doing. All the system versions I have are 64 bit, and WinPE automatically installs in 64 bit.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have a vested interest in WinPE as well… I know WinPE is not a supported platform, but to those who care, I can usually get Xojo 64bit EXEs to run in 64bit WinPE… what doesn’t work are the pop-up file/directory dialogs… so no open/save as/etc boxes will work… if you can work around that, you may have good luck in WinPE…

This can be extremely handy!!!

Just FYI

If you really need WinPE, your best chance would probably be to get your hands on an older 32 bits WinPE, and use a much older version of Xojo.

Having emulated the open and save box in iOS, it is not terribly difficult to brew your own with FolderItem Item.

Remember, WinPE was never conceived to do full fledged applications. It is mainly intended as a quick way to have a system on a CD, DVD or USB Stick in order to launch an installer.

@Michel Bujardet

Are we talking about Console or Desktop apps working in WinPE 64-bit? I am trying to get a 64-bit desktop app to open in 64-bit WinPE and I get no error message but nothing happens. 32-bit WinPE gives me error messages so I am assuming that’s a no go anyway. Thanks for any information.

You may have more chances with a Console app.

Thanks I was just reading some docs here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpeshlini-reference-launching-an-app-when-winpe-starts

It mentions shell applications.

Just to save anyone else the trouble of trying this the current version of Xojo 2018r1.1 will not build anything, even the most basic of Desktop or Console apps that will work with WinPE for 1803. I even tried to add the packages to the boot.wim for Microsoft .NET/WinPE-NetFX and got nowhere.

I might try an older version of Xojo and see if there is any difference sometime later. Looks like it’s VS or nothing. Bummer.

@Norman Palardy

Any idea how to do this or if this is even possible with a console application and WinPE?