Windows 8.1: help !

I have a brand new laptop since yesterday and it runs Windows 8.1.

Some questions (that shows how user-friendly Window 8.1 is) in a form of stupid questions:

Stupid question #1: how to run an application on Windows 8.1 ?
In fact, how can I go to the place the applications names are listed ?
I got the Application list screen, but I do not know how I’ve done that.

Stupid question #2: how to run change the touch pad properties on Windows 8.1 ?
(I want to stop it responding to one simple finger “touch” as a click…)

Stupid question #3: how to clears that orange arrow on Windows 8.1 ?
(left of the screen; it was here after a reboot !)

I really need to find a site “Windows 8.1 for beginners” or a sort of…

BTW: I do not ask about where is the start menu, I only show how easy Windows 8.1 is.

In 12 years (the age of my previous and first Windows laptop), the change I saw yesterday is that I cannot be fooled again when I want to watch a DVD: that machine does not have a DVD player (too thin). 12 years ago, the machine had a DVD player, but not the software…

OK, now I have to make the Google quest on these subjects.

You can probably find a better localized version of http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/tutorial

[quote=130122:@Emile Schwarz]Stupid question #1: how to run an application on Windows 8.1 ?
In fact, how can I go to the place the applications names are listed ?
I got the Application list screen, but I do not know how I’ve done that.

Stupid question #2: how to run change the touch pad properties on Windows 8.1 ?
(I want to stop it responding to one simple finger “touch” as a click…)

Stupid question #3: how to clears that orange arrow on Windows 8.1 ?
(left of the screen; it was here after a reboot !)[/quote]

1 - On the Windows 8.1 welcome screen, click the down arrow in a circle at the bottom. You will see all the icons for programs. They are added automatically upon install, but you can add one manually by right click and “pin to start”. Remove by right click on the icon and “Unpin”.

2 - Go Desktop, right click on the Windows 8 logo on the left of the taskbar at the bottom, and select “Control panel”. Then in the control panel, click “large icons” on the top right. In the list of icons you should have one called “Trackpad” where you can turn off the tap to click.

The best place to find advice is http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/meet click on How-To.

Tutorial en Français

Thanks Michel.
No down arrow in a circle at the bottom.

I have to take some hours quietly to do that.

You can press the key with the windows logo on it to toggle between the metro interface and the original desktop.

I was talking about the tiles welcome screen…

And I highly recommend installing the free Classic Shell, which brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 (and also has a setting to have Windows 8 go directly to the desktop when it starts).

Startup Menu 8 is fine as well http://download.cnet.com/Start-Menu-8/3000-18486_4-75852660.html

+1.

Installed on all my Windows 8 and 8.1 machines and VM’s except on a Surface tablet, here the start screen is a better choice. Apparently, Windows 9 brings back the menu. Looking forward to seeing that up close on a test machine.

[quote=130177:@Paul Lefebvre]
And I highly recommend installing the free Classic Shell , which brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 (and also has a setting to [/quote]
Personally, I really do not like Classic Shell for Windows 8! It looks horrible on Win8 because it is made to look more like Windows 7. I think Start Menu 8 is much nicer because for me it does everything I want it do from the Windows 7 start menu but looks like it actually fits in with the styling for the operating system. Look at some screenshots and you will see what I mean. HTH

On the “tiles” welcome screen, just start typing part of the name of a program, like “control panel” or “printer” and you’ll get a list of matches. I’ve gotten used to not needing the old style start menu.

Thank you for your answers.

It started whyle I was working at Apple France: I do not like to add stuff that modify / add things to the OS (I started to remove a screen sver, you know, the most know screen saver: it crashed my Macintosh after I typed the passwword). But if I really continue to get in troubles, I will do that. Thanks.

The image pixel depth is 120 dpi.

In the shared link to Microsoft site (I found its French equivalent), I found an advice: move the finger from the middle of the screen to the top. It didn’t work with the TouchPad (I have trouble with it), but on the Touch Screen it worked fine !

I also had trouble with M$ names ! The use of “to pin” to place something on screen while in the computer User’s Manual they talk about taking care of the (touch) screen: use only the stylet or a finger; usage of pen may hurt the screen…

OK: let’s have a break and have a nice week-end all.

PS: thanks to the student group here at McDonald’s who also help me a bit.

[quote=130391:@Emile Schwarz]Thank you for your answers.

It started whyle I was working at Apple France: I do not like to add stuff that modify / add things to the OS (I started to remove a screen sver, you know, the most know screen saver: it crashed my Macintosh after I typed the passwword). But if I really continue to get in troubles, I will do that. Thanks.

The image pixel depth is 120 dpi.

In the shared link to Microsoft site (I found its French equivalent), I found an advice: move the finger from the middle of the screen to the top. It didn’t work with the TouchPad (I have trouble with it), but on the Touch Screen it worked fine !

I also had trouble with M$ names ! The use of “to pin” to place something on screen while in the computer User’s Manual they talk about taking care of the (touch) screen: use only the stylet or a finger; usage of pen may hurt the screen…

OK: let’s have a break and have a nice week-end all.

PS: thanks to the student group here at McDonald’s who also help me a bit.[/quote]

I got it : the arrow down in a circle appears when you place the cursor at the bottom of the screen, together with the horizontal scroll bar. Click on it to access all the available programs.

Hi Michel,

I do not saw an horizontal scrollbar.

I saw two or three times the circled down arrow with “x added applications”. Other time whan I see it, when I move the mouse down something happens from the bottom and hides it !.

In the mean time, I was able to “register” Windows 8.1… So I assume many things were changed.

I also find a way to display a vertical “tab” , (area) on the screen right that have interesting stuff.

This OS is really counter intuitive !

BTW: I do not have it today hadly, and I was surprised when I tried to move the screen contents with a finger in the MacBook Pro touch screen (there is not touch screen on MacBook Pro !). ;-:slight_smile:

[quote=130425:@Emile Schwarz]I do not saw an horizontal scrollbar.
[/quote]

Place the mouse cursor at the bottom of the screen.

Yes !

Nota: after some minutes with that so-called “moder UI” in front of me and finding nothing to start with, I realized that there certainly is more outside of tyhe screen, at its right and using two fingers on the screen I discovered that, YES ! more stuff is hidden at the screen’s right !

Apple also hides scrollbar, so nothing special to tell (excepted it is a shame to do that, especially with a 1920 x 1080 screen !).

Thanks for the tips.

mile, you may not see the horizontal scroll bar on the first screen. It depends on how many tiles you have available or positioned on the screen and your screen resolution. I also do not have the scroll bar shown on Michel’s screen shot. You will more often see the horizontal scroll bar on the second screen, after you clicked the down arrow. The down arrow, however, should appear when you move the mouse around.

I agree. Windows 8.x does require some getting used to. Even (especially?) for long time and expert Windows users. This is why Microsoft is apparently coming back with a menu and a different organisation of features (access to control panel, etc.) in Windows 9. Business users massively rejected 8.x. That said, younger people tend to like it better than older more experienced people.

Full HD: 1920 x 1080 (at 120 dpi)

I am not sure. They may get it faster than oldsters, to be acustomed.

I was talking to a group of six yougnsters and they told me the same: W8 /8.1 is not intuitive nor easy to start with. This is what the newspaper were telling too when W8 was released.

Thanks for the answer.

Long time Windows User ? That’s me, but even if I use Windows from MS-DOS years (!), I never spend many hours at a time / many days a week, … so I am not really a Windows expert. That said, when you are an expert at one of the Platforms (Linux, OS X and Windows), you have a solid background to play with the other platforms.

[quote=130425:@Emile Schwarz]
BTW: I do not have it today hadly, and I was surprised when I tried to move the screen contents with a finger in the MacBook Pro touch screen (there is not touch screen on MacBook Pro !). ;-:)[/quote]

I use iPad Mini everyday. i then try to move things with touch on my Mac Book Air the other day and wonder why it isn’t doing anything.

Thanks Richard for the laugh !